[ULSA] ULSA welcomes new Democratic Party Leader for a Meet and Greet

ULSA
Newsroom

University News

ULSA welcomes new Democratic Party Leader for a Meet and Greet in their Lecture Hall

Jordan Mitchell | April 26, 2022

The University of Los Santos, San Andreas, Lecture Hall was booming last night with a visit by the primary candidates of the democratic party, including Senators Diane Jones and Joseph Hall, Party Member Jackie Lu and the new Party Leader Kaoru King-Yagami.

Party Leader King-Yagami took the stand and introduced Senator Joseph Hall for the first round.

"Hello everyone, I'm Joseph Hall. Currently serving in office as a state senator. I'm campaigning to make a difference in providing more opportunities for those in poverty, especially when it comes to education. I am very pleased to be here in front of our future generation and hopefully next time, I'll be here with even more students based on my intended efforts to open more pathways to gain post-secondary education" - Senator Joseph Hall

The following questions were asked by students and answered by Senator Joseph Hall:

Q: Which district seat do you hold right now, and where will you be running this election?
A: Currently, I am serving in district 34 and will continue to do so.

Senator Hall handed the floor over to Senator Diana Jones.

"Good evening, everyone. I'm Diana. I've been a senator for several consecutive sessions now, using my position as democratic leader of the senate to foster an environment wherein sides become less relevant figments, and cooperation stands paramount. In the twenty-nineteen session of the senate, the secretary of state at the time made a decision that forever changed the political climate in our state.

From a blue state, we turned into a swing state, and many doubted our future. But I have always maintained that not despite, but because of our equally split senate, we have achieved greater things than ever before. In this last session, we've worked together on key legislation that has improved our state by far.

From important new criminal legislation like the Organized Crime Act to key fundamental legislation like the Aviation Act, the democratic party worked alongside our good friends on the other side of the aisle.

I campaign not with malice against our opponents but joy for our friends and trust in our citizens. I am here to answer any questions or concerns you might have, so do ask away. Thank you."
- Senator Jones

The following questions were asked by students and answered by Senator Diana Jones:

Q: We are stuck in a spiralling high conjuncture economy, causing our state's inflation to spike out of control. According to experts, modern political platforms of senatorial candidates usually advertise higher wages and more money for small businesses and — Undertakings, even though these things are causing the economy to suffer. Is the economy salvageable, and what can the government or the treasury reasonably do to help continue the economic cycle?
A: To answer your question, we should understand what a high conjuncture economy is and how it has gotten to this point.
In 2017, this problem started. We had many unemployed people and many working in jobs that did not require higher education. Because of this, management positions were heavily understaffed. Our government at the time decided to try and solve the problem of unemployment with a blanket solution instead of promoting education. They started programs such as the four thousand dollar government bonus you get for a bartending job. The lower class makes more money, reduces the wage gap and makes everyone more wealthy, but down the line, it solved nothing about our lack of highly educated employees, like vice-chancellors.

Q: Followin' on from that question. What about the homeless community? What's being done to help them gain employment?
A: As you may know, we have generous unemployment benefits in this state. Still, to provide them with the opportunity to take care of -themselves-, we must look beyond materialistic means and money and to the social constructs that keep them where they are.

Q: I'm a long time community member of Davis. Gang bangers are easily in their early teens and up. I understand what you're saying, but what steps precisely have you made to try to make to increase interest in education.
A: My friend and former colleague Frank Ernst and I worked hard to establish the Department of Education, charged with establishing an education code. With the Department of Education, we invested in a venue to build a school in Rancho, at the end of Roy Lowenstein Boulevard, if you're familiar with it. Unfortunately, there's a distinct lack of staff, and the other government departments can't sign off on a project without the assurance that it will be staffed

Q: Coming back on the topic of schools, what about universities? If you cut off the government aid for lower-paid jobs, then what about the students who are struggling already? Do they have to get another part-time job?
A: Thank you. We have programs funding student loans active in the state. Each one of the students here can enjoy weekly student loans of sixteen thousand dollars, funded by the Department of Education from the top of my head.

Party Leader Kaoru King-Yagami was the final speaker for the night.

"My name is Kaoru King-Yagami. I'm the new democratic party chairman for the San Andreas party. Off to my right, your left, in the pink jacket, is my husband, Darcy, who I'm grateful could be here with me today. I'm new to the party and the legislative administration of the law. However, I'm not unfamiliar with it on the whole. I've worked with the State Attorney's Office and as a judge for our fair state until stepping down to maintain a regular practice. So I can't promise coming out of the gate, I'm going to know everything and how to do everything right away. But I'm going to do my damnedest to see done what can be to improve the state. From farmers to students, to homeless, to working professionals." - Party Leader Kaoru King-Yagami

The following questions were asked by students and answered by Party Leader Kaoru King-Yagami:

Q: Does the democratic party have any intentions for the unincorporated areas of the state of San Andreas, and if it does, is a reduction in the taxation of farmland in the cards for the next term?
A: Our state has such heavily differing biomes it can be difficult to work through it all on a higher level. But the agriculture industry is one of the most important industries that we have not only in San Andreas but in the United States. It's a necessity of life. Without it, we'd starve. We must keep the farmers in business; by whatever means possible. It's not entry-level work. And that means we need to put more people in the ability to do it, alongside helping those there. So while I can't say what's specifically in the cards, consideration for the agriculture industry will weigh heavily in the upcoming session. Be it on tax reductions, subsidies for equipment and irrigation, or finding some middle ground.

Q: Are there plans to try and move prostitution out of the gutter to properly regulate it and care for workers who employ themselves from it?
A:That is actually what Senate Bill 69 is. It is the decriminalization of prostitution on the whole. Regulation will take time, but at the very least, decriminalizing the act itself, on the part of the participant, will allow people to do what they may feel they have to, or what they want to, to work. I believe it also increases criminal penalties for pimping, which I was referring to as trafficking and people being sold into sexual slavery.

Q: In November of last year, the university zoning bill was proposed and received by the senate office of district 34. I'd like to know if you back this bill and also whether either of the two sitting Democratic senators intend to progress this bill if they're re-elected.
A: Myself and Diana, Senator Jones, favour this bill's passage. I admittedly am not familiar with the legislation through and through; my focus has been on the issues I've spoken about. But a bill that works to increase cooperation with security here on campus and local law enforcement are a good one, given everything we've already heard here today.

Q: The bill was initially received by the Democrats, who did nothing with it until it was raised to the GOP, who said they'd push this forward. Can I ask why the Democrats have sat on this for so long and not done anything?
A:That, unfortunately, I cannot answer for you. I'm aware that the democratic party has had some problems in the past. Taking the party chair is one step to hopefully righting things. If you want to inquire about the previous sessions, it'd be better to speak to someone who's incumbent and knows what was happening at the time.

The final question was awarded to Chancellor Nikos Karagiorgis.

"I would like - first of all - to thank you all for being here, tonight. It is truly an honor to have you as guests, and it will be an honor to see you here tomorrow, perhaps, when your friends from across the aisle take the stage. As for my question - Plenty of our students, as you have seen - are vocal and active in politics, which is a blessing. Plenty more, however, are eighteen years old. What would be your parting message to these /new/ citizens? And I address this to all those present, not just the chairman, of course." - Chancellor Nikos Karagiorgis

Q: What would be your parting message for our next generation of voters?
A: I'd say, whether you decide to vote for us, the republicans, or someone who comes up as an independent or third-party presence, what's important is that you /do/ vote. If the issues that affect you aren't coming up, get involved. Join a party, or reach out directly to the people who work in the senate that can make an effort toward pushing those issues and changing laws. There's no way to be the change without making an effort to put the change itself forward. We can't fix things if people don't make their voices heard, or work themselves to get on the ballot. And then it comes to the vote, which means every. Single. Person. Matters. Even though we're using the D'Hondt method this year, every vote will count to every person seated in the senate, those who have the power to push change.

**Comments would be enabled and heavily moderated. Threats, profanity or racial slurs would be automatically filtered out or removed by moderators. The same would apply to offensive usernames.**

Username: ProtonElectronNeutron

Comment: 

You may be disappointed to hear that my concrete suggestions on how to preach a message of community and brotherly love are sprinkled throughout this letter like raisins in a pudding, not grouped together in a single block of text at the end. This was a conscious decision I made based on the observation that I tend to refer to Sen. Jones as lascivious. I like that term because in addition to its normal denotation it has more recondite connotations that matter in ways that merit consideration. For example, it implies that it’s possible that Sen. Jones regularly heaps contempt on those attempting to declare a truce with her and commence a dialogue. However, I cannot speculate about that possibility here because I need to devote more space to a description of how the gloss that Sen. Jones’s advocates put on Sen. Jones’s maledictions unfortunately does little to justify condemnation, constructive criticism, and ridicule of her and her sneaky, effete hot takes. As you know, that’s the best way to comment on a phenomenon that has and will continue to reap a whirlwind of destroyed marriages, damaged children, and, quite possibly, a globe-wide expression of incurable sexually transmitted diseases. The significance of doing so is that I have one itsy-bitsy problem with her threats. Videlicet, they perpetuate harmful stereotypes. And that’s saying nothing about how she has, somewhat worryingly, started calling her reproachers unsophisticated yo-yos. As you may know, pharisaism always begins with language and rhetoric such as that, and before you can even realize it, these devolve into violence and physical aggression. Imagine people everywhere embracing Sen. Jones’s claim that she’s morally obligated to immolate our freedoms on the altar of lookism. The idea defies the imagination. Yet there’s much more to it than that. It’s not necessarily the case, as she maintains, that she’s simply misunderstood and is actually interested only in peace. On the contrary, her tasteless methods of interpretation lead to the adoption of a totalizing, simplistic, unworkable, and ultimately stifling conception of social justice. The simplicity and absolutism of this conception prevents otherwise rational people from realizing that Sen. Jones’s subordinates get a thrill out of protesting. They have no idea what causes they’re fighting for or against. For them, going down to the local protest, carrying a sign, hanging out with Sen. Jones, and meeting some other disaffected, tyrannical scumbags is merely a social event. They’re not even aware that Sen. Jones’s contumacious, intolerant edicts have been known to kill people and blow people up and attack governments. As much as I wish this were the end of the horror story that is Sen. Jones’s edicts, it is in fact just the beginning. You see, I sometimes see well-meaning people swallow Sen. Jones’s lie that she answers to no one. To my mind, shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. That’s why I wish that all decent people realized that I hold these truths to be self-evident: (1) Sen. Jones is the scourge of all that is good and true. (2) When I see Sen. Jones giving her implicit approval—and in some cases explicit approval—to resolve a moral failure with an immoral solution I think that her blatant indifference towards the feelings of others is due to intense misunderstanding, suspicion, and fear. And (3) her reason is not true reason. It does not seek the truth but only power-hungry answers, nitpicky resolutions to conflicts.

What Sen. Jones doesn’t realize is that Satan has been taking over more and more of her mind and more and more of her heart, and this is making her more and more feebleminded. That’s what I’m watching happen, and that’s what makes me say that Sen. Jones has said, on more than one occasion, that everything is happy and fine and good. However, she has also said that her escapades enhance performance standards, productivity, and competitiveness. If you’re scratching your head now, you should be. Sen. Jones’s expostulations are so arbitrary, so inconsistent, that I can’t help but think that Sen. Jones is a woman utterly without honor, without principles, without a shred of genuine patriotism. That’s why I say that in a recent tell-all, a former member of her guild writes that Sen. Jones’s infantile asseverations guarantee us nothing other than slavery, savagery, and murder. Those are some pretty harsh words even when one considers that Sen. Jones generally tries to keep her distance from the execrable rubes who ridicule, persecute, harass, and silence us. However, she sees nothing wrong with making bargains with the devil. Ah the sweet, sweet smell of hypocrisy. Anyway, that’s it for this letter. Let Sen. Diana Jones read it and weep.

Edited by H04X
  • Applaud 1

Username: Anonymous

Comment: I saw Diana Jones at a grocery store in Vespucci yesterday. I told her how cool it was to meet her in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother her and ask her for photos or anything.
She said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but she kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing her hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard her chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw her trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in her hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Miss, you need to pay for those first.” At first she kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, she stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, she kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Edited by books
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1