[Discussion]: What businesses you would like to see on GTA:W?

Mistery14

This discussion thread aims at putting forward the community's ideas for businesses. Here are some optional questions to help set the tone:

1) - What sort of business do you find yourself wanting more of on GTA World?

2) - What types of businesses aside from clubs and bars would make the city feel less empty in your opinion?

3) - Are you pleased with the current state of the GTA World business scene?

4) - Do we need more server-owned businesses with some ''RPG'' elements to them? Or are player-owned businesses strictly the best option, or would a mix of both be better?

5) - Should businesses/companies move towards the county? Do you believe this would increase county RP's popularity?

Whether or not you answer those questions, feel free to leave your business ideas below so that people might be more encouraged and share your thoughts!

Personally, I just want more unique item shops. Like just, stores that sell items. Guitar stores, flower stores, bookstores, shoe stores, maybe even souvenir shops. Just overall, stores that sell specific type of items. I'm not sure the best way to explain it, but you get what I mean. I feel like too many businesses on the server fall into 3 types of businesses: Bars, Clubs, or Restaurant (basically anywhere that serves food items, I'm counting as a restaurant here). I feel like we have enough of these 3 types of businesses and I would like to see more regular stores that sell unique items. 

• Thanks 1

I want to see more businesses which provide services of any sorts. Corporations to roleplay in, public works, maybe the postal service or delivery services which aren't strictly trucking. We could do with a few more restaurants too. Hell, even travel agencies could be fun if your imagination is crazy.

2) - What types of businesses aside from clubs and bars would make the city feel less empty in your opinion?

The city currently feels empty due to blips being gatekept behind a paywall. It does not matter what type of business, it matters where and how dense the area is. We are at a point where we desperately NEED competition between businesses. If you even had three different bars in a single street, you could have something for everyone. This would lead to people roleplaying more in a dense area, therefore eliminating the empty street feeling. Let's say that besides those bars you had two restaurants open, within walking distance. You could literally get fucked up in a bar or club and then go eat at a spot two minutes away. This would be great.

The question said no bars and clubs, so there you have it - businesses that are there ALONG WITH the bars and clubs. Restaurants, hookah lounges, food trucks, beauty salons, just everyday regular grocery stores or some hippie vegan bio stores. We're in a California-inspired setting after all, how come most of our businesses are so fucking boring when real life Los Angeles is booming with different stuff around every corner?

No. I am not pleased, I hate some of the aspects. There is a complete lack of competition due to the paywall behind blips. I do not find the over-mapped nightclubs entertaining, I do not go into most bars. I avoid working at most of the server owned businesses as there ain't shit to do besides /ame breathes when nobody is watching you roleplay. I like to interact with the game so trucking and the businesses associated with it from the companies to the ones you deliver to are a fun addition but I think that trucking itself is way more entertaining and stimulating than slaving away at a 24/7 or gas station. I can only speak from the experience in trucking and some other jobs, I'd say trucking creates some dope networking if you work independent. Other businesses don't really give you that option.

Also please do not take this as me derailing the topic but the Fire Marshals can go fuck themselves with their closures of businesses which violate the fire code or whatever. I understand that it adds to realism and such but they, as a faction, do not bring anything worthwhile to the server and yet they hold such a high power, where they can shut down a business over the fact that a Player couldn't give two shits about their stupid paperwork.

I am bringing this up because said paperwork and bureaucracy is ridiculous. I work at a corporation in real life, we have a very loose and chill workflow but we are still a corporation and nothing will change that. And yet still, I file LESS stupid paperwork than I would if I wanted to open a business on this server.

4) - Do we need more server-owned businesses with some ''RPG'' elements to them? Or are player-owned businesses strictly the best option, or would a mix of both be better?

Both. Some businesses would benefit from being owned by the server or at least being overwatched by an administrator or a team of administrators. Let's say we wanted a corporation to roleplay in, or at least some kind of office where we could roleplay and get the 4k paycheck for putting in work. I think that there is a only handful of players who could fit the role of any executive at a company like that. Same goes for how it is in real life. Whilst we do not need real life CEOs and directors to run a corp on a roleplay server, I think that having at least the right mindset is the bare minimum. I can see Aurum is doing mighty fine so kudos to them for being an example, I hope more large companies open up.

I am certainly not against having the 4k paycheck there for everyone, with the possibility of an increase in pay the longer you work at your workplace. Not even depending on the position you hold necessarily. This would allow players to create actually fun and entertaining businesses, instead of picking out something from a list that hasn't changed for the past 5 years. If you think for a moment you will definitely find ways to establish a company and give 10+ people jobs for different positions which might require actual roleplay work, from paperwork to management, marketing or even PR.

The bureaucracy surrounding most businesses should not be totally destroyed in my opinion, it's cool to keep things in order and have them on track. But it needs to be lowered from where we're at now.

5) - Should businesses/companies move towards the county? Do you believe this would increase county RP's popularity?

Yes and no. They should move towards the county for sure. It will probably not boost the popularity by a lot due to the fact that many players prefer the city itself.

• Upvote 4

Businesses that just sell specific items are boring. Hello i buy that, -500 dollars please, -here you go good day. Rinse and repeat. Unless you're making tons of money from it i fail to imagine how could anyone be keeping any interest in this rp.

I'd like more businesses oriented toward services and experiences that provide actual scenes of rp.

7 hours ago, hentai! said:

I want to see more businesses which provide services of any sorts. Corporations to roleplay in, public works, maybe the postal service or delivery services which aren't strictly trucking. We could do with a few more restaurants too. Hell, even travel agencies could be fun if your imagination is crazy.

The city currently feels empty due to blips being gatekept behind a paywall. It does not matter what type of business, it matters where and how dense the area is. We are at a point where we desperately NEED competition between businesses. If you even had three different bars in a single street, you could have something for everyone. This would lead to people roleplaying more in a dense area, therefore eliminating the empty street feeling. Let's say that besides those bars you had two restaurants open, within walking distance. You could literally get fucked up in a bar or club and then go eat at a spot two minutes away. This would be great.

The question said no bars and clubs, so there you have it - businesses that are there ALONG WITH the bars and clubs. Restaurants, hookah lounges, food trucks, beauty salons, just everyday regular grocery stores or some hippie vegan bio stores. We're in a California-inspired setting after all, how come most of our businesses are so fucking boring when real life Los Angeles is booming with different stuff around every corner?

No. I am not pleased, I hate some of the aspects. There is a complete lack of competition due to the paywall behind blips. I do not find the over-mapped nightclubs entertaining, I do not go into most bars. I avoid working at most of the server owned businesses as there ain't shit to do besides /ame breathes when nobody is watching you roleplay. I like to interact with the game so trucking and the businesses associated with it from the companies to the ones you deliver to are a fun addition but I think that trucking itself is way more entertaining and stimulating than slaving away at a 24/7 or gas station. I can only speak from the experience in trucking and some other jobs, I'd say trucking creates some dope networking if you work independent. Other businesses don't really give you that option.

Also please do not take this as me derailing the topic but the Fire Marshals can go fuck themselves with their closures of businesses which violate the fire code or whatever. I understand that it adds to realism and such but they, as a faction, do not bring anything worthwhile to the server and yet they hold such a high power, where they can shut down a business over the fact that a Player couldn't give two shits about their stupid paperwork.

I am bringing this up because said paperwork and bureaucracy is ridiculous. I work at a corporation in real life, we have a very loose and chill workflow but we are still a corporation and nothing will change that. And yet still, I file LESS stupid paperwork than I would if I wanted to open a business on this server.

Both. Some businesses would benefit from being owned by the server or at least being overwatched by an administrator or a team of administrators. Let's say we wanted a corporation to roleplay in, or at least some kind of office where we could roleplay and get the 4k paycheck for putting in work. I think that there is a only handful of players who could fit the role of any executive at a company like that. Same goes for how it is in real life. Whilst we do not need real life CEOs and directors to run a corp on a roleplay server, I think that having at least the right mindset is the bare minimum. I can see Aurum is doing mighty fine so kudos to them for being an example, I hope more large companies open up.

I am certainly not against having the 4k paycheck there for everyone, with the possibility of an increase in pay the longer you work at your workplace. Not even depending on the position you hold necessarily. This would allow players to create actually fun and entertaining businesses, instead of picking out something from a list that hasn't changed for the past 5 years. If you think for a moment you will definitely find ways to establish a company and give 10+ people jobs for different positions which might require actual roleplay work, from paperwork to management, marketing or even PR.

The bureaucracy surrounding most businesses should not be totally destroyed in my opinion, it's cool to keep things in order and have them on track. But it needs to be lowered from where we're at now.

Yes and no. They should move towards the county for sure. It will probably not boost the popularity by a lot due to the fact that many players prefer the city itself.

I run an isp, hello.

Said it a million times before and I'll say it again, I wanna see a nightclub/bar that's 100% illegal RP focused, just the most horrible place on earth where shithead characters go to meet other shithead characters with the intent to shoot up, pickup chicks/dudes or fight people they have a problem with. Almost comically bad

Sick of having and seeing characters that are the majority in a city like LS/LA but no businesses at all to interact with, crackheads, tweakers, ex-cons and gangsters aren't going to hit up Rockford or Vinewood bars, they're only forced there because EVERYTHING business related is intended for middle-class/upper-class characters, very boring. 

10 hours ago, BINGBONGBALONEY said:

Said it a million times before and I'll say it again, I wanna see a nightclub/bar that's 100% illegal RP focused, just the most horrible place on earth where shithead characters go to meet other shithead characters with the intent to shoot up, pickup chicks/dudes or fight people they have a problem with. Almost comically bad.

Sounds good in theory but all I see it turning into is a meme for shit players to go troll and turn things into voided situations 9 out of 10 times. Can't trust the GTAW population with the kind of responsibility you're talking about 🤣

21 hours ago, ScarletRose said:

Personally, I just want more unique item shops. Like just, stores that sell items. Guitar stores, flower stores, bookstores, shoe stores, maybe even souvenir shops. Just overall, stores that sell specific type of items. I'm not sure the best way to explain it, but you get what I mean. I feel like too many businesses on the server fall into 3 types of businesses: Bars, Clubs, or Restaurant (basically anywhere that serves food items, I'm counting as a restaurant here). I feel like we have enough of these 3 types of businesses and I would like to see more regular stores that sell unique items. 

Yeah. I get the feeling as well that there should be more of these. There's plenty of RP opportunities for these types of businesses in my opinion, things like characters wanting to gift one another with something is an example.

It can also be, I don't know, a business that specializes in hunting equipment, like whistles and various camouflage clothing items, or maybe fishing stores. Little things like that. There's just so many ideas that are restrained from fear of not being very successful because bars and clubs sort of run the business scene. People are less inclined to be adventurous with their business ideas and prefer to stick to trends. It's very unfortunate.

Just things overall that would make LS feel alive and lived in all day and night rather than being a nocturnal city where everything happens during the evenings and nights.

20 hours ago, hentai! said:

You have good points right there.

Public works is such a good idea. I actually had the idea of a postal service but I have no idea how to run these sorts of businesses in-game, as it's a mixed bag of OOC and IC.

I'll add that, companies like a postal service could actually encourage people who play minors to actually get a job like say a mail deliverer on a bicycle or something if they don't have a driver's license yet. It'd be great. Or for those who do have a driver's license, driving street sweepers or something like that. Mundane things that are actually very important in making a world feel believable.

As for blips, I do agree yeah. There's just so much wasted opportunity with the fact that they're behind a paywall. As I've said in other threads yep, the server has to be paid for but there are much better alternatives IMO, could you imagine if these were more accessible? Businesses would be everywhere, and that's good. It makes people move more, makes player interaction more prevalent and encourages people to RP with one another as they run into each other. And that goes for both day and night, why is LS only active at night when there's more than enough players during "downtime"? Downtime is like 200 - 400 players, and currently, there's like 1 business per 100 or so players or something. It's a ridiculously small number of choices that people have when they want to go places.

I'll actually link to it if you feel like taking a look.

I agree with your 4th point as well. I think both RPG and player elements when it comes to companies/businesses are equally important; players run them, RPG elements make them function, in sorts. If you get what I mean.

13 hours ago, thelostart22 said:

Businesses that just sell specific items are boring. Hello i buy that, -500 dollars please, -here you go good day. Rinse and repeat. Unless you're making tons of money from it i fail to imagine how could anyone be keeping any interest in this rp.

I'd like more businesses oriented toward soervices and experiences that provide actual scenes of rp.

It really depends at how you look at it. I get what you mean. I really think that if business owners were more encouraged to provide RP rather than own businesses for solely profit, it would benefit a lot in the RP scene of the server. But yeah, I don't want to get back to that blip argument which I've had countless times, but I believe paid blips still contribute to the fact that most people want their businesses to be profitable - Because they actually paid to be able to use it. Why wouldn't anyone want that, after all?

Edited by Mistery14