Rewarding Good RP

Seanny

17 minutes ago, L I C E said:

the fact we need to discuss rewarding good rp shows you just how bad it really is right now lmao. you shouldn't need an award not to want to be a troll. you shouldn't even be on the server itself. it's a requirement, no?

This, the second we need to reward you for what the server is intended for is the second we move in a direction of GTA online here’s 2000$ for good behavior 

• Upvote 1

While I agree that it should be the norm for people to try their best, I don't really see anything wrong with trying to encourage people to go back to doing so with some kind of brownie point system.

That being said, rewarding people for "good RP" is really difficult to pull off on a practical level, because there isn't a team of 100 invisible admins constantly patrolling the city and monitoring everybody at all times. How are they supposed to know when somebody does "good RP", and what is "good RP" by definition anyways?

All you'd really end up with if you made it so admins could hand these hypothetical points out manually is a way for people to get rewarded for RPing with staff, not necessarily because they have an unfair bias towards their friends but because those are the people whose RP they experience on more than just a surface level.

Don't see how you'd automate it without it being massively exploitable either.

I think there would be benefit in maybe not "rewarding" but recognising certain activity that improves the server for everyone.  If you make an effort to set up and run an event, there should be some kind of recognition, or thank you from the server.  Same if you run an interesting faction which provides some unique RP that isn't cops and robbers.  Not sure the best way to do it, but I think it would help retain people willing to put effort in for everyone's benefit.  Panda Points in its current form does not seem to be the answer.  Maybe some kind of special status for those who regularly organise good public events, which includes essentials to do more of them: free event map markers and 5 outdoor furnitures?  And a special status on forum.

Edited by Paenymion
10 hours ago, ScarletRose said:

Panda points doesn't really reward good RP tho. All it seems to do is reward players who don't afk. Everyone earns 5 panda points an hour regardless if their RP is good or bad, even if they aren't RPing and just driving around, they still get that 5 panda points. Even if you're breaking the rules and DMing people, you still get 5 panda points an hour. It doesn't do anything to incentivize good RP. 

well, sure. however, i’m referring to the ability to give panda points to other players. 

The reward is a fun experience for those involved, whether you organize, participate in or witness enjoyable roleplay. If you need more of an incentive, what even are you doing on a roleplay server? Others are right, the fact this is even coming up is a public display of the concern we should all feel for the direction the server has taken over the past couple of years.

2 minutes ago, MisfitActual said:

well, sure. however, i’m referring to the ability to give panda points to other players. 

But what's the actual reward? A loot box? Who cares? Loot boxes are a gamey system designed to prey on people with addictive personalities and a drive them to keep playing the game with an intangible reward system. "Message Nervous if you get the golden panda" - so there's some prize out there that might be worth having. But a reward isn't spending time in game to cash in these tickets for literally less tickets.

A reward for good RP should be the things like content additions, expansion of in game events, which I know - RAGE, further abilities to expand on characters. Good RP should be met with flexibility in ideas for factions if they shown the ability to demonstrate a good quality of RP and management. Something other than a gamey, house favorited system. That's not a reward.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I am not saying I am a good roleplayer, but as a legal character I interact with admins (knowlingly) barely at all.

MONTHS can go by without me messaging them on discord, ask for them ig to help me or spend time with an character (knowingly) that is played by an admin, or have a scene (knowingly) observed by an admin. And I don't think this is a unique experience. For many legal characters, they go about their life unbeknownst to the admin team so they can put their energy towards situations and rp that needs supervising.

I am not opposed to people being rewarded for their effort and contribution in some manner, just wanted to share this reality on the topic.

Edited by Natala
  • Wuhtah locked this topic