How do you maintain to stay motviated to roleplay?

Yoak

If I feel burnt out, which is literally every time I play on this server for more than two days straight, I just take a week long break and then come back. Rinse and repeat. 

I don't try to battle the feeling, it is normal and comes with being an adult, having a job, things to take care of. Sometimes you feel like you could be doing something better and more worthwhile than having virtual sex with people on GTAW. Most of the time I go do something totally not worth my time anyways, but I think that just proves that GTAW can naturally burn you out like any other hobby.

I have a hard time staying motivated on this server simply due to the fact that some core issues aren't addressed. They do not hinder my player experience to the point where I'm unable to play, but the fact that they exist and that they could be replaced by more efficient, less pain-in-the-ass inducing mechanics and so on really fucks with my brain.

• Upvote 8

Finding yourself a group to roleplay with is probably what you need, as that usually keeps the motivation up and whatnot. 

But unfortunately, I feel the majority of people who have been here for some time are facing burnout currently simply due to the lack of things you can do on the server to not feel repetitive and as abovementioned core issues which are on the server which aren't being fixed. 

Although I probably shouldn't be the one giving tips like this as I can't keep myself playing on the server for more than 30 minutes without feeling the urge to log off every time.

I usually roleplay with the same group for a longer period of time, and find myself in different and peculiar situations that gives me the thrill of roleplay. I never do the same thing more than 2-3 times, even if I'm in LSPD/LSSD, I try to mix things up and come up with different things.

If you ever find yourself bored, just try something else that you didn't do so far - if you always did legal roleplay, try illegal, and so on. You should most likely find yourself enjoying the game quite easily.

Take a break, go on an absence and play something else. No point dragging things out further when you are burned out. Sure, you can also try exploring a new avenue, a new character and different type of roleplay - but if you are truly burned, neither will help.

Sometimes people have to consider whether or not a particular character has had its run. A lot of people talk about feeling "burnt out" when in reality there just isn't a lot more they can squeeze out of that particular character. They made the money, got the girl/boy and are already old news and not as immediately interesting as newer characters pop around.

At that point your options really are to either think if your character would be able to pursue a different RP avenue that made sense (aka isn't radically different to where they're at now) or if it's time to try something new.

2 hours ago, Koko said:

Sometimes people have to consider whether or not a particular character has had its run. A lot of people talk about feeling "burnt out" when in reality there just isn't a lot more they can squeeze out of that particular character. They made the money, got the girl/boy and are already old news and not as immediately interesting as newer characters pop around.

At that point your options really are to either think if your character would be able to pursue a different RP avenue that made sense (aka isn't radically different to where they're at now) or if it's time to try something new.

I aged up one of mine to late thirties from mid twenties and going from young super common irresponsible girl to mature woman was how I squeezed another bout of RP from my character I otherwise couldn't find reasons to RP anymore. Just walking to the store and buying things "for the husband before work in the morning" and shit has prolonged NCing yet again. 

In serious though if you're bored or lacking motivation find a group of friends or go do something else. Or do something you've never done before. Maybe fuck one of your characters up beyond repair and go from there. Give them something meaningful to do and a reason to be around. There's always dry bouts where it feels like nothing is going on and then suddenly you're flooded with RP again.

honestly if you dont feel motivated to roleplay, take a break, try something out, and if you feel motivated again, jump back in

roleplay, and gtaw especially is a gigantic time sink, so if you can take a break, or you're demotivated to play it, count it as a blessing for your freetime

i recommend drawing as a hobby

• Auntie locked this topic