Laptop: Recognizes battery, won't use it. Turns off without plug.

Memozzy

Hello!

I'll try to keep it brief! I own an ASUS ROG Strix Scar II gl504gm laptop.

A month ago while doing some gaming it just turned off. The LED that indicates charging (it was plugged in) didn't recognize it being plugged in and it wouldn't turn off or do anything at all. Essentially it died.

Fast forward; a month later I receive my laptop back after paying 165Eur with them saying its fixed.

It's not.

So sadly I'm stuck with an expensive 'repair' that didn't really repair it all.

1. Laptop only works with charging cable, turns off if removed. Recognizes, charges and displays battery in windows, but won't use it.

2. Time to go into boot has changed from a couple seconds to nearly 30 seconds after repairs (until Asus logo shows) and I've noticed it works visibly slower.

Could the issue with battery not being used impact performance?

Is there a way to get it to use the battery? Nothing really says its damaged in my tests and limited troubleshoots thus far.

One of the tests for me was launching GTA:W. Prior this it launched in less than 4 minutes, now it takes up to 15 minutes.

Anyone perhaps have had this issue?

battery-report.html

From what you said, I can say the battery is either still f**ked or it's the cable/port connecting the battery to your mobo. 

Is the computer still under warranty? I assume not since you paid for repairs. Do you have a rundown on what they did exactly for the price you paid?

Right now you will probably need to try and change the battery (again, yes, if they even bothered doing anything at all) 

As for the slow start, maybe they added a timer in the BIOS for the BIOS POST delay. in seconds, which can explain why it doesn't pop up right away, and see if you can optimize windows' boot, by getting rid of any bloatware, and unwanted programs (Bulk Crap Uninstaller works wonders for that, be careful not to uninstall essential components with it, though. make sure windows softwares are hidden in its options when using it). Besides that, I see you have a SSD+SSHD combo, could use having 2 SSDs instead or, you could have like 1 500GB / 1TB SSD for your system + game(s) and have a hard drive for the data, or rock 2 SSDs (the best option in your case, only replace the sshd for a ssd.)

I hope you didn't get scammed, OP. Tag me if you have further info, here or on Discord (HappyPancake on GTAW's server, as I might miss the mention on the forums).

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, HappyPancake said:

[...]

Thank you for your response! Sadly it's not under warranty anymore yes (peculiar how it died like this JUST as the warranty expire, hmmm)

I keep pestering and reaching out to the repair technicians but all they can say is "they didn't really know what was wrong with it but going step by step they got it to turn on". Keep on insisting that it works even when it doesn't work as I wanted them to fix it and honestly it's starting to feel like they hardly did anything and just cashed in a bill.

I tried to clear the static charge, I tried to troubleshoot the battery, I tried to update the bios, update a possible battery driver. Nada.

And it's peculiar you say I have a SSD+SSHD combo because I only have 1TB m.2 SSD and no SSHD. I pulled it out before giving it away for repairs so using the same SSD now with all the data and no bloatware I had. Even reset the windows OS but that didn't do much either.

I was thinking about purchasing a battery but I'm just a bit weary because they are expensive and my fear is that even when I buy it and replace it it still wont work because the current battery is recognized and it does charge. It's simply not being used.

There's no errors I can pull out from the system to my limited knowledge that could give me more info.

I will keep pestering the company that 'fixed it' but at this point my trust in them is exactly 0..

Something fishy is going on here, I'm thinking.

9 minutes ago, Memozzy said:

Thank you for your response! Sadly it's not under warranty anymore yes (peculiar how it died like this JUST as the warranty expire, hmmm)

I keep pestering and reaching out to the repair technicians but all they can say is "they didn't really know what was wrong with it but going step by step they got it to turn on". Keep on insisting that it works even when it doesn't work as I wanted them to fix it and honestly it's starting to feel like they hardly did anything and just cashed in a bill.

This is probably what happened where are you located, what was the company? 

10 minutes ago, Memozzy said:

I tried to clear the static charge, I tried to troubleshoot the battery, I tried to update the bios, update a possible battery driver. Nada.

And it's peculiar you say I have a SSD+SSHD combo because I only have 1TB m.2 SSD and no SSHD. I pulled it out before giving it away for repairs so using the same SSD now with all the data and no bloatware I had. Even reset the windows OS but that didn't do much either.

I've pulled the specs from the reference you mentioned, but it's not far fetched that you might indeed have ended up with differences such as the 1TB SSD. Any chance there was a heatsink that is not back on, is the laptop overheating/heating at all? Good to know on the bloatware and windows reset. 

10 minutes ago, Memozzy said:

I was thinking about purchasing a battery but I'm just a bit weary because they are expensive and my fear is that even when I buy it and replace it it still wont work because the current battery is recognized and it does charge. It's simply not being used.

There's no errors I can pull out from the system to my limited knowledge that could give me more info.

I will keep pestering the company that 'fixed it' but at this point my trust in them is exactly 0..

Sadly without trying with a spare one there's little to no way to actually see if the problem is the battery or the port. Most of the cases, it's the battery, and if they didn't bother replacing/checking it, a defective battery could still be the problem. And yes, if they billed you 165 € with no detail as to what they've done, only step by step booting it, it's shady by nature. 

Laptop does have a bit of an overheating issue, always has. A fault in it's design.

I have a neat M.2 SSD with a heatsink in-built and the soft cool padding as well.

I've tried to re-install drivers for the battery and update the bios. So far no luck.

It is the time of holidays now so I'll have to call the repair tech on 26th.

Just an unfortunate situation. I'll try keep googling around and if I do find a fix I'll post it!

• Wuhtah locked this topic