[LSN] Tricky Times down at the Port

Tricky Times down at the Port

By Troy Francis

Resignations, lack of resources, and low productivity have been hampering the San Andreas Port Authority’s efforts to keep the Port of Los Santos safe. In recent weeks there has been a steady increase in the amount of crime which is impacting the businesses and everyday working men and women that call the port their home. Add into the mix other challenges, such as the recent fire. It spells a challenging time for the Director of the port, Hank Preston, and his newly formed leadership team.

The San Andreas Port Authority is the regulatory body, which helps facilitate the movement of inbound and outbound cargo via the Bureau of Labor as well as the institution which enforces safety regulations around the Port, via the Bureau of Safety. Responsibilities can include customs screening, searching for contraband as well as protecting civilians from crime. Both departments are overseen by the Port Director, and a leadership team is in place to work alongside Mr Preston on policy changes, internal affairs, and budgets. However, LSN has discovered that recently there have been changes to this leadership team that has gone unannounced to the people of Los Santos. 

v9BU6tT.png

James Beenhouwer the ex-Safety Superintendent and Frank Jansen, the ex-assistant Superintendent have recently resigned. Speaking to Mr. Preston, he said “Beenhouwer, and I had hit a fork in the road that led to a series of professional disagreements. It came to a point where I felt we needed to sit down personally and discuss the future of the Bureau.” When pressed about the resignations of his long-standing leadership team, Mr. Preston said, “The core issue we faced was disputes. I don’t want to speak ill of James or Frank, but it seemed that all bargaining opportunities had eroded between us. So constant disputes and disagreements between them and the rest of our leadership would be the source of many roadblocks to progress.” James Beenhouwer and Frank Jansen have been replaced by Michael Baker and Violet Choi as Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent

Crime continues to be an issue that plagues the port, from gun crime, vehicle and cargo thefts, trespassing, and even illegal vehicle exportation. Safety Officers are trained to investigate and prevent crime with their key objectives as prevention, detection, and then reporting to the relevant authority. However, some companies have expressed disquiet as to how visible the Port Authority is. During my time at the port over the past three weeks, I have seen a mere five safety officers, with one being a fresh recruit out patrolling solo on his first day. Speaking to Mr. Preston, I asked whether the Bureau of Safety had enough resources to provide oversight across the port. ‘Since the appointment of Mr. Baker and Ms. Choi there has been an uptick in productivity amongst our Safety Officers'. Mr. Preston also informed me that they have plans to increase recruitment with a career fair and recruitment drive. 

wxhJaKO.png

It is not all doom and gloom. There are some exciting development opportunities within the port. Mr. Preston confirmed that a private sanitation company is now handling waste in the port, free of charge to the public. There are plans for a real estate venture, via leasing out warehouses for companies to use, as well as launching contract bidding for the scuppering of the ship that burnt down last month, the Daisy-Lee. The combination of public/private ventures is something that can only be good for the port and the wider Los Santos economy.

To sum up, it is clear that the San Andreas Port Authority has had a tough time over the past couple of months, especially when you consider the size and scale of the operation, there really is no room for blockers or low productivity, it is also clear that it has impacted the presence of the Bureau of Safety within the port and for the businesses that reside there. However, there are reasons to be optimistic, whether it be an increase in recruitment or business development opportunities. It seems to me that the Port Authority’s best days could be yet to come.

> Comments are enabled

Username: 

Comment:

Edited by Jolagh
  • Upvote 6