[PODCAST] Claire-Voyance: Episode Four

405998448_clairevoyance4.thumb.jpg.becc38b10be809c78e1a633c27d2c394.jpg

(left to right: Claire Skye, Marianne Karim)

[LOADING...]

[PRESS PLAY]

* The intro jingle of "Do You Believe In Magic?" plays for a bit before becoming background noise. The sound quality is still a little scuffed. ((Claire Skye))*
Claire Skye says: Hey, guys, your host Claire here. Uh, welcome back to Claire-Voyance.
Claire Skye says: Tonight we have a new friend as our guest, not just a new friend but a new resident of this beautiful dumpster fire of a city we call home. Marianne Karim. Thanks for doin' this, Mari.
Marianne Karim says: Anytime, happy to be here. 
Claire Skye says: Awesome. And I'm just realizing I'm gonna be the only one asking questions now, shit, uh, heheh...
Claire Skye says: Let's start off simple, where ya from?
* Marianne Karim snorts.
* Claire Skye lets out a chuckle at her own unprofessional behavior.
Marianne Karim says: Chicago. Which is in Illinois for folks who don't know that.
Claire Skye says: Cool, nice. What brings you all the way to San Andreas?
Marianne Karim says: New start. I moved here after losing my housing back in Chicago. Was living on couches and in my car.  
Marianne Karim says: Then my friends, Ezra and Hazel said they got a place here in LS. And I knew these guys for awhile, good folks.
Marianne Karim says: So, I decided. Fuck it. And drove cross country.
Claire Skye says: That's something you and I have in common. Y'know other than hair style. Sometimes just saying "fuck it" is the best choice you make.
Marianne Karim says: Yep. I can figure my way out later, I packed my car with my clothes. My guitars, and left Chicago. 
Claire Skye says: So, other than the obvious- *ahem* crime *ahem*, what's been the biggest culture shock to you so far?
Marianne Karim says: I mean. We've talked to this at length, and you've dedicated an entire episode to it. Other than that? Like.. were to start..
* Claire Skye laughs.
Marianne Karim says: I mean, town never sleeps! 
Claire Skye says: Agreed, this place ruined my sleep schedule.
Marianne Karim says: I mean, same. I wake up during the middle of day now. It's wild. Then again my job opens real late.
Claire Skye says: Tell us about your job then. Listeners, you may recognize it.
Marianne Karim says: Well, I work at Black Rose Beauty Salon! I'm a receptionist. 
Marianne Karim says: And for those who don't know where it is, it's in Vespucci.
Claire Skye says: Yep. And apparently some stressful stuff has been happening at the workplace if I read between the lines right?
Marianne Karim says: Not super stressful, just some occupation weirdness. Two dudes wrestled in their underwear in the sauna. Or so I was told.
Claire Skye says: Bruh... how the fu-. My dude, LS denizens are a different breed. Who does that.
Marianne Karim says: I have no god damn idea Claire. We also get folks coming in mistaking it for a strip club? For some reason.
Claire Skye says: I-. A strip club? Wh... are these people even human? Who mistakes a salon for a strip club?
Marianne Karim says: It says Salon in the name. Who knows. Big dudes don't rock moment.
Claire Skye says: Ugh. So let's uncan those worms another time. What's your favorite thing about the city?
Marianne Karim says: Favorite thing about the city.. hmm..
Marianne Karim says: The people. I've met some folks here that are amazing. I mean, you know some of them.
Claire Skye says: Oh absolutely. Sure there's dickheads but the amount of wonderful people outweighs them for the most part.
Marianne Karim says: The folks that wade through the glitz and glam of the fucked up dumpster fire. 
Marianne Karim says: That are just.. regular folks?
Claire Skye says: Like. Before I would roll my eyes if someone accused me of being normal. But HERE? Yeah, I'm ok with being regular.
Marianne Karim says: Like, you know what I mean. We are -FAR- from normal.
Claire Skye says: We're normal in a very abnormal way.
Marianne Karim says: We aren't super models, or actors. We're regular queers living in Los Santos which that is an act of resistance. 
Claire Skye says: Damn right! But even if we aren't, do you have any dreams for the future? Any inkling of an idea of what's beyond Black Rose?
Marianne Karim says: Yeah, I wanna be a tattoo artist and body piercer.
Marianne Karim says: Also.. maybe be in a band again..
Claire Skye says: We could never have too many of those. It's an underappreciated art. Also yeah, you mentioned your guitars! You were in a band?
Marianne Karim says: Yeah, played guitar and did vocals. Punk bands and stuff in Chicago.
Claire Skye says: Ooh, well there's plenty of punk bands around here. Hopefully you can join up.
Marianne Karim says: Yeah, but most bands need a drummer. Which I don't know how to play, yet. 
Claire Skye says: Could always start on your own independently.
Marianne Karim says: Yeah I could. But, who knows where life is gonna take me. 
Claire Skye says: Who knows indeed. Well. I'd like to take this moment to switch things up. Shawna's favorite part of the podcast, where you get to ask me questions if you'd like.
Claire Skye says [low]: I'll stop talking about her eventually guys. Just. Not yet.
Marianne Karim says: Damn. Guess I'm in the hot seat. So, Claire? What's YOUR favorite part of LS?
Claire Skye says: Honestly? Well part of it is the same as you, the awesome people but. My favorite part of it is how I'm free to be who I really am here. Do what I want to do. Be independent after a long time of... not being.
Claire Skye says: This place sucks but it saved me.
Marianne Karim says: I understand. 
Claire Skye says: Even though there's gonna be people who don't understand me they can't do anything about it if I don't let 'em, y'know.
Marianne Karim says: This place will chew you up and spit you out, and agreed. You're being you, fuck everyone else.
Claire Skye says: Hell yeah. Anything else you wanna ask, or you good?
Marianne Karim says: Nah, I don't got much else. I'm just super happy to be here.
Marianne Karim says: Helping out my friend.
Claire Skye says: Well thanks for joining us, Mari. You've been awesome.
Marianne Karim says: But I told my friends I'd also give them a quick shout out.
* Claire Skye chuckles.
Claire Skye says: Go for it.
Marianne Karim says: Shout out to Ezra and Hazel, for being the driving force to get me out here. And uh, check out their new business Harlow House coming soon!
Marianne Karim says: It's a bar and board game shop.
Claire Skye says: Heck yeah!! Claire-Voyance officially endorses Harlow House! Well, in future reference.
Marianne Karim says: Other than that, uh. My friends old and new, y'all are amazing. And if you're listening.. well. Yeah, y'all are great.
Claire Skye says: Agree, one hundred percent. Bye guys, going to try to stay on schedule, thanks for listening!

Comments Enabled

Username:

Comment:

• Upvote 5
  • Applaud 1