Remove mining from the job 'bonus'

Notbond

This is going to be controversial and it's really a matter of opinion. The mining bonus encourages more people to mine, it's as simple as that. We don't need to incentivise more people to mine people will do it anyway as it's the best paying job by far. By removing the job bonus we will get a better distribution around the other scripted jobs at all times and we will no longer encourage something that really shouldn't be. 

When the mining bonus takes effect it really detracts from roleplay as many people flock to the hills, the other jobs simply don't have as much pulling power. 

Remove mining from the job bonus rotation! 

Edited by Notbond
  • Upvote 4

Agree. Also agree with removing all bonuses as it's dumb if players are RPing and 'suddenly have to go' simply because of a magical scriptwise force.

As for mining, I'd love if it became a resource only relevant for construction, and not indefintely sellable to a black hole.

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, Pascal said:

Agree. Also agree with removing all bonuses as it's dumb if players are RPing and 'suddenly have to go' simply because of a magical scriptwise force.

As for mining, I'd love if it became a resource only relevant for construction, and not indefintely sellable to a black hole.

This is the end goal, one step at a time young padawan :)

• Upvote 1

Yes. Scripted jobs should be useful not just for people to earn money, but also for the server. Mining for construction materials, trucking/courier to refill businesses/fuel stations etc. Bonuses just motivate people to grind, which is the last thing RP server needs.

Edited by Lance
  • Upvote 1

The reason the bonuses came about is that people got tired of people only mining.  The thing is people don't necessarily gotta work only in that bonus time because they could just store the ore. 

I couldn't care about the mining bonus at all really. The only problem with it is the fact that it increases the perceived value of ores when bought by players when it comes to crafting. I'd say it'd be better to just nerf the base pay and drop the bonus down too but there are three different resources to watch over then you got the fact that it requires investing X cash. It's not as simple as removing a bonus. There needs to be more things to do to make those goods go to players. Those ores can be used to make car parts that should be going to garages. That creates an inventory cost for the business. The expected cost to be paying for those parts though needs to be higher than illegal car parts or those'll be useless. 

If you nerf mining too far down it's just gonna get replaced by fishing and then people'll complain about people fishing. 

My point is playing around with bonuses doesn't do anything on its own. What happened before the bonus? People mined. If anything people mined WAY more then than now. There are a few real ways to make mining more interactive for players.

A few are:

• Building on the crafting system. As it is it impacts illegal roleplayers more than anybody else and that's weird. That job has the base to be a good logistical system but it got left unfinished. 
  • Tweaking the base pay values and bonus on top of real changes. There's also tweaks that were suggested long ago that haven't been done.
  • Having bracketed price decreases if you just keep going after that limit is reached within a day.
  • Rather than having a bonus there can just be an ore of the day or something that gives a price spike or a price decrease maybe. How big or small that is can depend on the value it already had. I don't think this one's really worth doing though because it probably won't change which one people chose to do. 
  •  

Basically what I'm saying is this didn't work before and it isn't gonna work now. If the system is gonna get touched again it should actually be fixed and not get a bandaid that's gonna fall off anyways. Job bonuses aren't the scapegoat people make it out to be. It's just the one that is highlighted in dark green. 

• Upvote 2

Remove the bonus for mining, and implement an IC means of moderating mining. Getting sick of seeing Mules driving around just for people to grind and make a profit on a roleplay server. I love money as much as the next guy; I used to mine when I started on the server too. I don't care how controversial this topic is, it is clear that the only real purpose of people mining is for profits and not for RP. On occasion, mining resources is used for construction, but that's quite rare.