Stutters and Freezes that grow over time

Lexy

My game is running terribly. I have occasional stutters that aren't a big deal... Unlike long freezes which is the main issue.

The performance overall gets worse by each passing minute which often forces me to restart the game to fix it. The game runs mostly OK for the first 20-30 minutes, then it's becoming close to unplayable. 

The stutters, I could handle... but freezes make it impossible to play. 

An example— I was in a public place at night, Mission Row. There were at least 10 people around me, someone drew a gun near me and the game became a still image. For an entire minute, the game was frozen. The ambient sound of the game remained during it. The game was frozen, but the computer was not. When the game unfroze, there was a corpse beside me with bullet wounds in him. I didn't see or HEAR what happened, most of the people that were there during the scene— simply were no longer there after the freeze. And I've no idea what even happened because my game was frozen for the entire minute. Someone definitely shot the guy, but who? How? Idk, the game froze.

Sometimes it feels like there is a pattern to when it freezes. Sometimes.

(The game does not freeze EVERY time those things happen, but it does freeze mostly during those things)

* An ad pops up.
* Somebody draws a weapon.
* Somebody pulls the trigger to fire a shot. (This mostly causes a light stutter rather than full on freeze)
* Somebody takes damage in script.
* Pressing 'Enter' after typing text. 
* Approaching a business entrance. The game might freeze before the chat log displays the name of said business. 
* Driving around into long distances. 
* Entering an interior overloaded with furniture.

It kinda makes sense for the game to freeze during driving, maybe, or when entering interiors or shooting with a lot of people around me, at night when the population on the server is high. But it's weird AF that the game freezing with low population as well, during daytime, while I simply type a text and press ENTER to send it. Or when approaching a business and the game freezes for like 5-10 seconds before the chat log displays said business's name.

Here are things that I've tried to fix it, unsuccessfully.

* Physically clean the computer and make sure nothing is overheating. 
* Completely reinstall the windows, the game, and Rage. (No mods installed)
* Updated drivers.
* Turn Shadowplay off entirely.
* Modify the settings.txt and make the game look like a potato.
* Pray to god.
* Smack the processor lightly. 
* Follow the instructions of an Indian guy on YouTube about modifying the windows for better gameplay performance.
* Smack the processor harder.

Jokes aside, I'm not sure how to fix it. This is the computer I got and from what I've heard some people with worse PCs don't suffer the same issues.

* Windows - Win 10 Pro
* CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460  CPU @ 3.20GHz (Old af, but I know at least one person with worse CPU who got no stutters/freezes)
* GPU - GTX 970 (Again, not perfect— but I'd say sufficient for GTA 5)
* RAM: 16 GB DDR3 (The performance of the game becoming worse 30-40 minutes after seems like a memory leak issue, but 16 GB should be more than enough for GTA W)
* Both GTA and Rage are on SSD.

This must hurt to watch - https://streamable.com/lrf1nn 
Lag before firing a shot - https://streamable.com/81vz7y

Can't really afford to buy a whole new PC right now thus I'd rather find out which specific part of it causes the issue to replace it.

Edited by Tammm
added another vid

does it happen on other games or just gta? It could be your physical ram sticks, so try that out or see if they're actually in place. Do you keep like youtube videos up when you're playing? Youtube videos on top of RAGE EAT your computer

Edited by Kucheras

while I get minor stutters in most games during loading, etc, it's nothing as severe as with GTA W. single player too, runs good enough with no issues... and I definitely don't run any background programs while playing except discord, but the issue occurs even when it's off. ram seems to be properly placed too.

is there a program I can run in the background while playing that could let me know which part of my PC acts weird while stutters/freezes take place? 

1 hour ago, honeyburger said:

Used to happen to me frequently.

Reveal hidden contents

Switch to DirectX 10.1 and lower your FXAA/MSAA. That's what stopped it for me.

I was always on Dx 10.1 with those options off, switched to Dx 11 to see if it would be different. No change.

Edited by Tammm

Obviously I understand if you don't want an external program, however I use memory cleaner, after certain periods it seems like either GTA5 or Rage has a memory leak, and it just starts eating ram up to a certain point.  It really does help. Can provide a link if required, otherwise you can google Mem cleaner, it's made by "KoshyJohn"

Edited by Budbomberx
Added info
7 hours ago, Budbomberx said:

Obviously I understand if you don't want an external program, however I use memory cleaner, after certain periods it seems like either GTA5 or Rage has a memory leak, and it just starts eating ram up to a certain point.  It really does help. Can provide a link if required, otherwise you can google Mem cleaner, it's made by "KoshyJohn"

sounds like a very reasonable fix, my ram usage is a lot less now... but it still doesn't fix it at all. No change.
I swear there is no logic to this, my entire computer is cursed.

(maybe it's about Vram rather than ram, cuz the gpu usage goes down to 0% every time the game freezes. or maybe that's normal idk)

Edited by Tammm
doesn't help (
19 minutes ago, Resick said:

seems like a ram issue tbh but 

try when you've your game open go to task manager> details> ragemp_v.exe >right click it> set affinity> and uncheck CPU 0

access denied. what does that even do? 

• Wuhtah locked this topic