Add the fire department back to /onduty

we've all gotten the ooc pm's from angry cops about being npc'd, but that /onduty text was incredibly useful for anyone thinking about creating interesting scenes involving EMS or Fire, and the lack of it makes it a struggle-bus for anyone trying to do something better than getting shot and it hurts the server overall.

• Applaud 1
20 minutes ago, bartman said:

I think a large part of it is that the FD is often accused of gatekeeping anything to do with roleplay in this field, and has been for years.

Why are the fire marshals their own faction, but lifeguards are under the fire department?

if it's because in LA County lifeguards are part of the fire department, then why is EMS so ruthlessly gatekept when in LA county EMS is largely private with the fire department sending squad vehicles?

Only LA city has its own ambulances, but in LA city the lifeguards aren't part of the fire department.

The FD as a faction seems insistent on wearing many hats which is part of the problem. We've all seen 12 FD on but 8 of them are lifeguards. We've all seen lifeguard trucks screaming lights and sirens into east LS because there's no one else available. No other public safety faction has such a identity problem; it seems FD can't decide what it wants to be, can't decide what it wants to base itself off of, and can't decide if it wants to allow anyone else to attempt to encroach in the field in some areas, while other areas such as fire marshals are entirely independent factions.

I'm not putting any money on the FD in any way diversifying itself in the future, so I guess some way to differentiate what employees are doing/what their roles are would be helpful.

Simply put, lifeguard leadership don't want to separate from the Fire Department, there's been no proposal yet and I'm quite sure that if in the future they wish to separate, talks would open up to separate.

You probably don't know this but Fire Marshals used to be part of the FD, but they separated, Fire Leadership wasn't really against it and in it's majority, supported it,  so I don't really know why the gatekeeping is part of the discussion. Alongside that, FD literally worked together with PHMC to establish and give them an ambulance service, as agreed upon mutually with LFM.

To hit back on why Lifeguards most likely didn't separate is because a lot of administrative work becomes independently managed. Currently, FD Leadership handles funding, modding requests, has dedicated modders as well as mutual and shared Public Relations and Training & Recruitment for Lifeguards, if it becomes separated, then all that is basically gone.

Not to mention, a separate forum would have to be requested, modding request will not be able to be implemented as new factions don't get mods accepted so soon after approval and the fact that LFM itself would have to look at the proposal for separation or not.

FD isn't gatekeeping anything, similar to how SAGOV isn't gatekeeping SAPA, similar to how JSA wasn't gatekeeping the DAO before they separated, all of those factions are offering them a place for them to thrive, if people want to separate, I don't think there'd be much objection as long as it isn't some type of hostile separation.

This is completely off-topic anyways, it has very minimal to do anyways with the suggestion. because it doesn't really account for what I originally put anyway. Lifeguards or not, they help FD out when it comes to calls.

1 hour ago, bartman said:

I think a large part of it is that the FD is often accused of gatekeeping anything to do with roleplay in this field, and has been for years.

Why are the fire marshals their own faction, but lifeguards are under the fire department?

if it's because in LA County lifeguards are part of the fire department, then why is EMS so ruthlessly gatekept when in LA county EMS is largely private with the fire department sending squad vehicles?

Only LA city has its own ambulances, but in LA city the lifeguards aren't part of the fire department.

The FD as a faction seems insistent on wearing many hats which is part of the problem. We've all seen 12 FD on but 8 of them are lifeguards. We've all seen lifeguard trucks screaming lights and sirens into east LS because there's no one else available. No other public safety faction has such a identity problem; it seems FD can't decide what it wants to be, can't decide what it wants to base itself off of, and can't decide if it wants to allow anyone else to attempt to encroach in the field in some areas, while other areas such as fire marshals are entirely independent factions.

I'm not putting any money on the FD in any way diversifying itself in the future, so I guess some way to differentiate what employees are doing/what their roles are would be helpful.

when we created the lifeguards originally we wanted it to be separate from FD but we quickly realised that attempting to get our idea approved/have any kind of backing from FM was essentially futile unless we sought help from FD. alongside the fact that we’d need them for script support too (access to revive, modded vehs and uniforms even tho we used vanilla vehicles and thrown together uniforms for months and months with no issue). so really it’s not that they’re gatekeeping but more just that we put it under FD for ease of startup as otherwise it would be shunned away with no second thought, and that’s how it’s remained.

i’m sure @lux will have more (if she wants to share) as she was the main mind behind the creation, i was just a side piece.

• Thanks 1

I 100% disagree with this. Someone will use /onduty, see there's 6 FD online and immediately think that someone is avaliable for their call right away. Just like any LEO faction, FD is all dependent on what calls they get, if there's a active fire nine times out of ten there will be atleast 90% of the on duty population attending, while the other 10% may be tending to other calls. This will either give false hope, or have people try to complete void their situation all together when seeing no FD online instead of calling for both police and fire and possibly having a BLS of ALS officer take care of them. 

2 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

we've all gotten the ooc pm's from angry cops about being npc'd, but that /onduty text was incredibly useful for anyone thinking about creating interesting scenes involving EMS or Fire, and the lack of it makes it a struggle-bus for anyone trying to do something better than getting shot and it hurts the server overall.

What is hurting the server is people getting shot left and right.

2 hours ago, Biscuit said:

Simply put, lifeguard leadership don't want to separate from the Fire Department, there's been no proposal yet and I'm quite sure that if in the future they wish to separate, talks would open up to separate.

You probably don't know this but Fire Marshals used to be part of the FD, but they separated, Fire Leadership wasn't really against it and in it's majority, supported it,  so I don't really know why the gatekeeping is part of the discussion. Alongside that, FD literally worked together with PHMC to establish and give them an ambulance service, as agreed upon mutually with LFM.

To hit back on why Lifeguards most likely didn't separate is because a lot of administrative work becomes independently managed. Currently, FD Leadership handles funding, modding requests, has dedicated modders as well as mutual and shared Public Relations and Training & Recruitment for Lifeguards, if it becomes separated, then all that is basically gone.

Not to mention, a separate forum would have to be requested, modding request will not be able to be implemented as new factions don't get mods accepted so soon after approval and the fact that LFM itself would have to look at the proposal for separation or not.

FD isn't gatekeeping anything, similar to how SAGOV isn't gatekeeping SAPA, similar to how JSA wasn't gatekeeping the DAO before they separated, all of those factions are offering them a place for them to thrive, if people want to separate, I don't think there'd be much objection as long as it isn't some type of hostile separation.

This is completely off-topic anyways, it has very minimal to do anyways with the suggestion. because it doesn't really account for what I originally put anyway. Lifeguards or not, they help FD out when it comes to calls.

To add to what Biscuit said, as I co-lead and then lead SFM myself. FD never got in the way of "gatekeeping" any kind of roleplay, we simply wanted to venture into new things and decided to approach that niche roleplay from a different perspective.

FD is well aware of what it has, where its going and its working constantly to align itself to the LAFD, identity is more clear than ever. I'm not sure how this whole thing ties to the /onduty command though.