The problem of money being both IC And OOC

Lurleen

6 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

If anything the 200K is too low. AM I just supposed to roleplay being homeless until I have enough money to buy a place?

Properties are crazy expensive, houses go for 3 million. With a job like a LEO that pays 160k a month, you're looking at roleplaying here for 2-3 years before you can afford a house. That's insane.

PM needs to start taxing people with multiple house HEAVILY and establish more rigid limits on how much you can sell a property for. A house that cost 300,000 $ when the server opened selling for 3 million is ridiculous. That's way too big a growth.

That's the problem of the 200k, everyone can buy a simple house/appartment in 2 weeks rping, so if anyone can buy it the prices raise. With 1million bonus, how much you think a house will cost?

3 hours ago, doble_brown said:

That's the problem of the 200k, everyone can buy a simple house/appartment in 2 weeks rping, so if anyone can buy it the prices raise. With 1million bonus, how much you think a house will cost?

That's not what causes 3M house sales. The lack of a cap on them does. The new player with 200k has to play for 2 years before he can afford the Mirror Park House

Although off topic, I agree with the /bad blip discussion.

To get a property request or lease approved usually means jumping through hoop after hoop across the course or sometimes up to 4 or 5 weeks, then once a player has successfully navigated that - they are expected to either get friends to drop /bad's for them or become a donator. 

I am of course a donator, so I get the privileges, but I also recognise there are so many businesses that are going to struggle to get up and running without being able to spread the word IG.

Players gravitate towards Open Business blips, regardless of what it is, which is why the Gas Stations are always busy.

I mean at minimum, /openbusiness should activate a generic blip, even if it doesn't list the business in the "Open Business  list. 

Leaving the /badblip for those who are donators 

On 5/23/2022 at 2:52 PM, pateuvasiliu said:

If anything the 200K is too low. AM I just supposed to roleplay being homeless until I have enough money to buy a place?
Properties are crazy expensive, houses go for 3 million. With a job like a LEO that pays 160k a month, you're looking at roleplaying here for 2-3 years before you can afford a house. That's insane.

Prices increase because the 200k starter money introduces it into the economy. If you want to lower the housing prices, stop pouring money into the economy or find more ways to remove it. Bringing even more (starter or any) money just makes it worse.

1 hour ago, mj2002 said:

Prices increase because the 200k starter money introduces it into the economy.

No, prices increase because PM doesn't set a limit on how much you can sell a house for. If a 300K house could only go for 1.5mil then the starting 200k wouldn't matter.

Instead of blaming new players who get money which they should get ( I'd argue 200K isn't really enough anyway ), you should be looking at PM's complete inability to stop people from getting rich by flipping houses. It's really simple. Put a hard limit on property sales and TAX THE FUCK out of people who own multiple properties.

Punishing new players/characters is NOT the way forward.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
14 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

No, prices increase because PM doesn't set a limit on how much you can sell a house for. If a 300K house could only go for 1.5mil then the starting 200k wouldn't matter.

Instead of blaming new players who get money which they should get ( I'd argue 200K isn't really enough anyway ), you should be looking at PM's complete inability to stop people from getting rich by flipping houses. It's really simple. Put a hard limit on property sales and TAX THE FUCK out of people who own multiple properties.

Punishing new players/characters is NOT the way forward.

You are both wrong and right. When you introduce more money into a closed environment, prices of any (luxury) goods available only in limited quantities (housing in this case) are going to go up. This is simply supply and demand. So, introducing even more money is the worst way forward.

You are right in other respects. Yes, property management effectively removed the limits on pricing, but there is a good reason for this. If you set artificial price caps, those houses aren't going to be traded at all any more. Instead, players will either keep their fancy housing for their new characters, or they will try to trade their houses away for some other desirable property, or trade out of the public's eye in order to skirt the rules and get more money anyway. We know this because that was the situation before.

So instead, there is now a compromise. The price caps are removed, but only if a property is held for a significant amount of time. Otherwise, price caps are still relevant. This removes a portion of players who buy properties as an investment in order to resell them later on at a higher price. However, it doesn't resolve the problem entirely. Combine that with a lot of money being available in the economy, and patient sellers can still ask and receive extraordinary amounts of money. This results in high prices. This compromise is better than having no price caps, and better also than having a strict price cap. Is it perfect? No, but a perfect solution is not possible here due to demand always outstripping demand for fancy properties.

Punishing new players is not the way forward, but you need to understand that new characters are a huge part of the problem for as long as the starter money is $200.000. They introduce immense amounts of money into the economy. This gets spent quickly and the players smart enough to receive it build up vast amounts of wealth. Result, high prices on luxury goods that are limited in supply. If you want to increase that, you will only make the problems worse.

On 4/8/2022 at 6:28 PM, hentai! said:

I also have a character that has over $600,000 in the bank account and a total of $1,000,000 in assets - due to the idiocy of namechanging, but also the blessing of it. I think money should be taken with a grain of salt, I dunno how else to say it. The problem here is the mentality, like stated above, because certain people have an issue with looking at it differently than "lol ur right top corner many money fucking mallrat", but... this is also a problem connected to a lack of jobs.

Have we had more businesses open, ones that provided services, corporations, background check companies - there are thousands of different ideas - we'd have over all more jobs. You'd actually have people IC saying "Yeah I'm an HR Director at FuckMeSideways, we are a company specializing in the development of sex toys." or someone saying "Yeah I slave off at this corporation but at least they pay well, my boss is a dickhead though".

Imagine, for a moment, everyone, listen up to me, right? IMAGINE HOW REFRESHING IT WOULD BE. TO FINALLY HEAR THAT SOMEONE ISN'T A FUCKING BARTENDER PART TIME AT THREE DIFFERENT BARS. Or a supervisor.

For now, having a roleplay job relies on the owner of the business being active, mainly. There might be more head staff, like directors, managers or whatever but they will probably not be allowed to open by themselves for like weeks straight due to the owner being away on an IRL vacation or some stuff. This does not apply to faction owned businesses because I know from experience that they kind of run themselves, but hear me out, right? Not everyone wants to be part of a faction. You can be part of a faction as a legal character, there is usually no reason to not be, but it should not be a necessity to have an active group to play with. Businesses should attract clientele by themselves, there shouldn't be a prerequisite in the form of knowing people who you work with, interact with and who you know will always come to support it.

This is once again the result of blips being gatekept by Management due to the completely idiotic reason of "there would be too many of them", who cares? I don't care, I want to see that map riddled with blips if I'm gonna roleplay in a developed modern American city. Maybe if we had more blips and over all open businesses, there would be no need to create all of those micromanagement type of rules around crimes? Because you know, the streets would actually be littered with people, due to businesses booming? I don't know.

Wake the fuck up, Management, you have a city to put out of a fire. Think about how many opportunities this would finally open up. Think about how many more roleplay jobs, roles, and reasons to take wealth more seriously rather than "ah yeah the number on top of the screen is just... yeah you know I namechanged twenty times on this character lol" it would create. Having an actual high position at a job due to development, one that isn't "Manager" or "Supervisor" but perhaps "Software engineer" or "x Lead" would sound so much better in the context of possessed wealth would be so cool. Instead talking about money is awkward because it is so stupid to hear that everyone has to work three jobs as a bartender due to two of their workplaces barely being open. It is almost immersion breaking. Sure, some people need to work two jobs to maintain a living, especially in cities like Los Angeles and most other major cities with a ridiculously fucked up property market but this is just ridiculous.

I cant not express enough how much this rings true and speaks to my personal experiences on the server of being a business owner. AMEN The main reason I stopped running my business was because I got tired of "donating" 24$ a month when the server just continues to have issues. I know its a donation but it's hard to continue to support something that is so obviously broken. Also just a side tangent about money in game, It literally means nothing. No one is that impressed by your digital currency, and being someone who has "fuck you" money on their character I can tell you it's not that great and my best times on the server have never revolved around money, buying things, or owning material things on the server. It's come from good quality role-play experiences. 

Have to give it to my father because he taught me something important early in life:

"If you ever need to understand why something is the way it is, Just follow the money and 9 times out of 10 you will have your answer."

Do I have the solution? No. But it's like you guys don't even fucking try, you just continue to rehash the same bullshit over and over while tacking on rules and rules and rules. The problem is the community and peoples attitudes towards one another, not the rules. Something this server has bit itself in the butt for, As opposed to fostering a closer tight knit community and having role players work things out between them selves you've fostered a "tattle tale" "run to the admin" mentality because apparently were all too stupid too figure these things out ourselves. You did this to yourselves. And i've literally been saying this now for 2 years. I've been here since 2018 since before we were on RAGE. I've been banned, unbanned, and ajailed and I'm not perfect but damn, it's hard to watch this ship sail lopsided like it is now. It's a love hate relationship for me. 

Get rid of the red tape bullshit and paywalls. 

Edited by Devastante
  • Upvote 2