The problem of money being both IC And OOC

Lurleen

I've noticed that in some cases money have both an IC and OOC role. For example you can do OOC things like furnishing, doing menyoo pictures or videos for others, or graphic designs, etc. You can even find a OOC channel in the GTA W Properties official discord where people request projects to mappers in exchange of IC money. Even in game advertising is an OOC thing since there's no RP in that and to be an advertiser you need to donate.  People often pay a lot for these things because they require a lot of OOC effort and allows people to become rich without RPing, but using their OOC skills instead. The problem is that people can pay OOC money for furniture slots or being able to advertise and then use those perks to get IC money easily. 

I suggest a two monetary system to address this issue:

- IC money shouldn't be important OOCly, only used for roleplay, doing in game purchases, paying in game salaries, etc. Once your character is CK or you simply namechange, you should lose all your IC money and properties, since it's the characters assets, not yours. This would completely fix the housing problem since a lot of IC money would disappear wich each CK and more properties would become available. It'd also make people to RP fear better.
- There should also be an OOC money (Maybe this is what they are trying to do with Panda points?) to oocly pay for advertising, furnishing, and everything that is done OOCly. This OOC currency could be used to get donator perks or to hire other people for ooc services. And maybe in the future you could exchange these ooc points for real dollars? The profit for the server will be made in the different exchange rate to buy or sell this ooc currency, like it happens in second life.

The big point here, in order to keep OOC and IC things separate, by no chance you'd be able to exchange this OOC money for IC cash at all, or use ooc money to buy IC things or use IC money for ooc services. Thoughts?

Edited by Lurleen
  • Upvote 1

The main problem with this are businesses, menyoo and mapping are problems as well since it's mostly for privileged people who have decent enough hardware to run GTA V on Ultra with some kinda mod to make them banger pictures. You could arguably map on a shitty computer, but it isn't as comfortable, especially when you have to map a business for someone, in which case - look back at the first sentence.

This is the one thing I will agree with regarding OOC money - blips. To anyone who thinks blips being locked behind a paywall is a great idea because it prevents fifty different places being opened at the same time - get your head out of your butthole. We need competition on this server now that the economy is somehow good more than ever. I am sick and tired of seeing the same shit open. If we want more populated streets and less incentive to grind menyoo and mapping, but more roleplay, we need to have a lot of places to roleplay in and around. If we see three different bars open next to each other on a street, one's a punk one and the two others are more generic, everyone will find something that will suit their character. People will finally socialize together instead of being forced to drive across the city to the next blip once something closes down.

I have played on servers where ten different businesses were open next to each other, it doesn't cause unfair advantages, bad competition or anything of the sort. It boosts people's creativity because they might get drunk and leave and go to the taco truck that opened up next to them. Or they might get their nails done and go to the bar next door to ramble to the bartender and show them off.

Think about it, Management. Because I know it is you who keep pushing this whole agenda that many blips are a bad idea. They're not a bad idea, let people run their businesses how they want to run them, with free blips. Let people get paid for menyoo and mapping too since it takes effort, this is not as big of a problem as people make it out to be. 

I understand that the server needs to be paid off somehow, I really do. You already have namechanges, plates, phone numbers, even furniture slots locked behind a paywall. If we need some sort of mechanic to keep the server running, we should definitely keep the aforementioned things behind a paywall because at the end of the day, you do not need them to roleplay. You do not need a different phone number or plate than the one that the server assigns you. You DO however need that blip if you want your business to be successful, so once again - this is the only thing that I will fully agree on from this post. Menyoo and mapping can stay, I don't care. It's sad that only the people with high end gear can do menyoo but that's life and life isn't always fair.

This comes back to what I said about driving culture on this server. Sure this is America but we're a RP server, we could do with some more pedestrian population and roleplay and not just driving from blip A to blip B because that's the only businesses that pop up on the map.

Sorry for going a little bit off topic here and there but this isn't as simple of a topic and it does connect with what I said.

• Upvote 6
  • Applaud 2