[LSN] A Day in the Life of... A Logistics Manager

A Day in the Life of… A Logistics Manager

By Troy Francis

All day long, an army of individuals are tirelessly working to provide the businesses and citizens of Los Santos essential goods which fuel the city. Whether it is the coffee you get from your local eatery or a new set of tints for your car. All of these goods are channelled through the Port of Los Santos, and are handled by the trucking companies, who call the Los Santos harbour, home. I recently spent time with IMEX CEO Aurora McCorkle and John Pickert, the HR Manager, to understand what an average day for a driver looks like as well as understand some of the challenges which the supply chain and logistics industry face.

ArpWCie.png

IMEX is one of the largest and most active trucking companies in the state of San Andreas, and often can be seen driving around in their trademark red vehicles. Truckers who are employed by IMEX often arrive at the headquarters, change into the company uniform and then start their shift.

Each vehicle has access to a statewide shipping system, which then provides the driver with a route and the type of goods to be delivered. I attended a convoy event, which is where a group of drivers drive ‘convoy’ style to a business proactively and deliver a large volume of goods. John Picket, HR Manager at IMEX, said, ‘We organise convoys from time to time to restock our clients without them asking. Just to show that we care’.

IMEX also uses a portal called IMEX Connect, where businesses can request priority delivery and arrange special contracts directly. It is clear that IMEX understands the needs of their customer base. Equally, it is clear just how difficult a trucker's job is. Drivers will often load and unload twenty crates per drop using nothing more than a trolley. However, the role that they fulfil is an essential part of the Los Santos economy.

DC9HgGq.png

The trucking industry faces significant challenges. Of prime concern is security of the private property, and the large ‘lots’ which trucking companies occupy. Trespassers are a common occurrence, whether there to cause a nuisance or to commit crimes. IMEX contracts their security to G6, however, there are limits to what private security firms can do. Speaking to Miss McCorkle, CEO of IMEX, she called on the San Andreas Port Authority to do more to assist ‘I wish SAPA would do more. I wish they’d sweep our place like they used to do. But there’s a bit of hesitance from the higher ups, I feel. They’d rather their officers keep off of private property.'

To sum up, having spent some time with IMEX, it appears to me that it is a business which has the best of intentions for their industry, their customers and ultimately the people of Los Santos. However, the security issues which they face are not to be underestimated and are a constant threat to both the safety of their employees and the stability of their business. The implications of this are wide ranging, but focussing purely on economics, if stock does not get delivered, businesses cannot trade effectively, which increases the risk of business owners having to reduce their staff. This, in turn, increases unemployment, resulting in less money circulating in the economy, resulting in an overall reduction in living standards for everyone. 

We hope you enjoyed the first edition of ‘A Day in the Life of’…’ Be sure to keep an eye out for our next edition.

> Comments are enabled

Username: 

Comment:

• Upvote 8
  • Applaud 2