County roleplay & county community

socrates

9 hours ago, Soyuz said:

To say that there are no "hillbillies" or "hicks" in LS County is just not true. Of course, LS County is not LA County, so we'll never really know for sure what the staff on GTA:W wants the county's dialects to look like. Despite this, though, it is not unreasonable to find your stereotypical Southerner in the North, and one shouldn't feel any shame roleplaying a character of the sort! Nor should anyone get mad, or claim unrealistic RP, for interacting with a typical "hillbilly" in LS County

Said this once and Ima say it again, we're in Desert Shores (Known as Sandy Shores in GTA5), realistically it's really just a community of people trying to live their lives. Judging by your Facebrowser posts along with the other people you've attracted to make almost trollish looking and sounding characters (No offense, it's the way a lot of people see it), it really just makes everyone else in the area look bad. Would also love to state that Desert Shores was never mentioned once in that video you posted, you named places that don't matter when it comes to this argument. Don't be upset when people actually start to notice you and when/if you get outcasted.

TLDR: It doesn't really matter, don't expect your character to be welcomed with open arms if that's the case.

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, GOBLIN said:

it's the way a lot of people see it

20 people in a bubble reassuring each other one's opinion matters aren't "A lot of people" in a community with 1000+ (conservatively estimating) active players.

Not limited to country rp but just had to point that out.

There's a lot of problems with the county, from factions that own a majority of properties and don't allow for others to come up and flourish, the perception it has as being full of Europeans playing very stereotypical southerners, and the general map design of GTA 5 making it a rather boring place to RP in if not filled with other characters. I've had a few county characters in the past and find that after a few periods of activity it really does die down quite a bit as people get bored and choose to RP in the city instead where everyone else is because there's more interaction down there. I find that most facs that start off in the county quickly get bored and either start having beefs with facs based in the city or just quit all together because there's not much else happening up there. Also doesn't help the county's reputation that people are driving super cars, or Caracara's while living out of trailers.

At the end of the day there’s a lot of muck being thrown back and forth about where people are from in relation to portrayal. In reality most of any of the characters your meet on this server are usually European. And I’ve seen plenty of Americans creating absolute abominations, it’s not worth getting so worked up about. They’re a phenomenon that have existed for over 15 years, and we’ll probably be seeing them for 15 more. The only thing that has really worked is aggressive administration or simply ignoring people.  Most people doing the goofy stuff get bored relatively quickly. If it’s not some TN moonshine chugging chicken hauler it’ll be the county racer with a brightly colored classic muscle with neon, or the duke sisters ripping it up, or people that somehow get a tug in the Alemo. 

Most of these guys are absolutely harmless, they’re impulsive creations from people trying to be funny, lacking direction or just wanting to have a “fun” time. There are no good old days without zany country characters, they’ve always been there. They come and go in waves, sometimes in groups and sometimes alone. They tend to be more common when the county has a lack of direction under factions. Sometimes a piece of media gets popular and all of a sudden a swarm of 4 day old characters hold a banjo mass in front of your biz. It’s just something you gotta learn to deal with. Just like Davis has to deal with the garbage wondering out of the Airport. If you let it bother you it’ll absolutely drag you down and end up alienating you from the county. Which would be an absolute shame because the county desperately needs good people. Especially active people with time to drive the pitch forward. 

On 4/4/2022 at 4:05 PM, KinnyWynny said:

I should also add that most county characters are stereotypes played by Europeans who think the second you step out of an American city you're transported in to the deep rural red south with cowboys and hillbillies talking with thick, almost incomprehensibly Southern accents. And makes most people rarely go to the county unless forced to. Its just not enjoyable, and most characters seem rather one dimensional and lazily done mockups of what people think rural America is.

This. I’ll also add that the reason a lot of people don’t go to the county is because any businesses barely open and the little bit of illegal roleplay is usually dominated by one faction where everything else is shut down icly.

Edited by RoyalPainter
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, GOBLIN said:

Said this once and Ima say it again, we're in Desert Shores (Known as Sandy Shores in GTA5), realistically it's really just a community of people trying to live their lives. Judging by your Facebrowser posts along with the other people you've attracted to make almost trollish looking and sounding characters (No offense, it's the way a lot of people see it), it really just makes everyone else in the area look bad. Would also love to state that Desert Shores was never mentioned once in that video you posted, you named places that don't matter when it comes to this argument. Don't be upset when people actually start to notice you and when/if you get outcasted.

TLDR: It doesn't really matter, don't expect your character to be welcomed with open arms if that's the case.

Yeah, I'll admit, my character started a little trollish, but he has since evolved. I'll have to clean up the Facebrowser. Thanks for letting me know.

By the way, I don't know why you're so keen on saying that Sandy Shores is Desert Shores when even on the GTA V wiki, this is unconfirmed, just a theory. And besides, Sandy Shores in the GTA V world has plenty of hillbilly, and even the Blaine County Talk Radio is practically all hillbilly. I don't think it's fair to say that Sandy Shores is Desert Shores, when the only similarity they have is the word "Shores".

2 hours ago, Soyuz said:

Yeah, I'll admit, my character started a little trollish, but he has since evolved. I'll have to clean up the Facebrowser.

Like I said on my previous comment that got deleted apparently. I'm all for seeing southerner characters as long as the portrayal's right. And as I said previously-previously, Sandy Shores is full of EVERYTHING, personally, I like seeing the diversity as long as certain characters are being portrayed in the right manner. Otherwise the only problem in Sandy left would be the illegal factions that power trip, I really think they don't understand that not everyone is into illegal stuff which is quite annoying.

• Applaud 1
8 hours ago, GOBLIN said:

Desert Shores isn't the whole county, though. You have regions that are completely separated from towns and the big city, fully capable of having rednecks that aren't trollish. Stab City replicates Slab City, and that's full of weirdos. You then have the Dignity Camp and tons of houses that are in the middle of random dirt-road paths, away from most of civilization.

Edited by DLimit
  • Wuhtah locked this topic