Jump to content

County roleplay & county community


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Wuhtah said:

Perhaps I can ask management if we can manually do the crates and have the businesses /charity the amount in which would be owed. This is a VERY long shot, but nonetheless at least an idea to help solve some issues. 

Any and all ideas to help the issue at this point would be welcomed. At least it can become a discussion. Maybe someone will have a genius idea lol. I also edited my previous reply but just in case you missed the unrelated follow up question:

Quote

Also, any clarification on RV's and where they can be parked IC'ly for someone to technically live in it? Outside of a motel rental or house request, people have been encouraged to get an RV in order to live out in the county. Where can one IC'ly park it or live in it without anyone taking issue? I have not seen a lot of guidance towards that. To my knowledge, there isn't any sort of established RV park or designated living area if people want to live in their RV's. Some awareness with that might be a good step as well. Open up opportunities for people to explore.

 

Edited by Brofessor
Link to comment
Quote

Also, any clarification on RV's and where they can be parked IC'ly for someone to technically live in it? Outside of a motel rental or house request, people have been encouraged to get an RV in order to live out in the county. Where can one IC'ly park it or live in it without anyone taking issue? I have not seen a lot of guidance towards that. To my knowledge, there isn't any sort of established RV park or designated living area if people want to live in their RV's. Some awareness with that might be a good step as well. Open up opportunities for people to explore.

 

To my knowledge, there's no proper rules/guidelines that causes OOC issues. IC issues, well - that just depends on who is around and such and you should take it as an IC situation. 

 

As for RV parks ... As long as someone isn't trying to 'own' the property it's on, I'm sure you guys can come to a conclusion of a 'free parking of RVs here' area. If anything, reach out to me if you find a spot, and I'll validate it for you guys.

 

 

Link to comment
On 4/5/2022 at 1:34 PM, Dom. said:

The hick characters usually tend to portray a lackluster roleplay standard and makes the entire area look bad as a result. If the entire server is meant to portray a realistic replacement for California, Sandy Shores should be no different. The SoCal desert is not Alabama.

As someone who has spent a lot of time in North and Southern California there are parts of that state you go too and its basically Kentucky. 

Edited by Power
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Power said:

As someone who has spent a lot of time in North and Southern California there are parts of that state you go too and its basically Kentucky. 

I don’t think anyone would argue against that. Californian rednecks are arguably among the worst, but there’s a pretty clear distinction between someone roleplaying disenfranchised white trash with an identity crisis or a moonshining billy straight out of a Disney cartoon. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

I agree with you on this one 100% - there shouldn't be too much difference between LS people and SS/PA people - the distance is not that great, even if you compare it with anything in real life that resembles the place. I'm working to get around Sandy Shores and create a small community of people that could, maybe, improve the quality of roleplay - I'm not saying the quality of roleplay is bad, I just want to have a friendlier image of the place so people could join is, even if it's for one weekend (roleplaying the holidays house) or a whole month. 

Link to comment

I'd be very keen to see this actually work out long-term.

 

I RPed with Carson for a short time on an Aussie character, and had an absolute ball for the few interactions I got to have (TZ issues). 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, SOCRATES said:

I agree with you on this one 100% - there shouldn't be too much difference between LS people and SS/PA people - the distance is not that great, even if you compare it with anything in real life that resembles the place. I'm working to get around Sandy Shores and create a small community of people that could, maybe, improve the quality of roleplay - I'm not saying the quality of roleplay is bad, I just want to have a friendlier image of the place so people could join is, even if it's for one weekend (roleplaying the holidays house) or a whole month. 


People who have spent a long time doing county roleplay (read; years) will recognize the pattern. The county, both as a community and environment, is separate from the city. It’s something that breathes, and is constantly rotating with periods of significant activity followed by periods of inactivity. The same thing happens in the city, but it happens much faster and on a more individual scale, so you don’t notice it as much. In the county things tend

to synchronize. It doesn’t help that a lot of times things are focused around one or two factions. People who were around for DRD and the biker wars will remember it’s effect on activity. The county died down, DRD made place for O’Neils and new MCs popped up. I think our past county peak would be somewhere in the late

summer of 2021. 
 

It’ll just keep repeating itself, the meta behind it is that you need dedicated players with a lot of time and effort to lead projects people can rally behind. Right now people with that level of time and dedication are in short supply, and there are a thousand reasons for that. People typically have more time in the summer, so that’s why you find  most activity in that period. When people have more disposable time you’ll start seeing more businesses, factions and groups with more people rallying to it. 

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, eTaylor said:


People who have spent a long time doing county roleplay (read; years) will recognize the pattern. The county, both as a community and environment, is separate from the city. It’s something that breathes, and is constantly rotating with periods of significant activity followed by periods of inactivity. The same thing happens in the city, but it happens much faster and on a more individual scale, so you don’t notice it as much. In the county things tend

to synchronize. It doesn’t help that a lot of times things are focused around one or two factions. People who were around for DRD and the biker wars will remember it’s effect on activity. The county died down, DRD made place for O’Neils and new MCs popped up. I think our past county peak would be somewhere in the late

summer of 2021. 
 

It’ll just keep repeating itself, the meta behind it is that you need dedicated players with a lot of time and effort to lead projects people can rally behind. Right now people with that level of time and dedication are in short supply, and there are a thousand reasons for that. People typically have more time in the summer, so that’s why you find  most activity in that period. When people have more disposable time you’ll start seeing more businesses, factions and groups with more people rallying to it. 

I totally agree with you on all the facts, we had the same issues with Carson for years, but I managed to find around 10 key people that stick around the whole year, which is what I'm trying to do here before evening considering proceeding with this. Legal factions, such as SAPR and LSSD would come as a great add to this, but overall I'm considering this after I'm sure I can rely on some people to help me out. I'd rather want people that are not affiliated with any illegal faction because they're somewhat forced to stay with them, rather than sticking with us. Of course, any faction that's part of SS would obviously be part of the community, but I'd rather have my people with whatever they want to roleplay that will dedicate their time to this rather than another faction. 🙂

 

Link to comment

 

Anyways, the County can be a great place to roleplay but it does need a very active community. As someone who spent two years RPing in Blaine on two different characters, running a business and operating a faction it opens up alot more quality and free-form than the City. I always enjoyed to see the County more and liked the small close nit communities that get built. Paleto, for awhile had a great "small town," vibe to it but has sadly slightly died off but thats just the way of the road. Most factions, groups and businesses sit in the City. So, most RP will be found in the city. There needs to be more businesses in the County that aren't generic yee-haw bar number fifty two. 

 

I regret selling the Mojito Inn.

Edited by Wuhtah
Removed unneeded toxicity.
Link to comment

I'm going to butt in here and criticize a claim that many of you have made:
 

  

On 4/5/2022 at 2:34 PM, Dom. said:

The hick characters usually tend to portray a lackluster roleplay standard and makes the entire area look bad as a result. If the entire server is meant to portray a realistic replacement for California, Sandy Shores should be no different. The SoCal desert is not Alabama.

 

    

On 4/4/2022 at 3:35 PM, GOBLIN said:

County roleplay has been destroyed by people who enjoy making typical "Yee-haw /me tips his cowboy hat and jingles his spurs" aka country characters (even though we're in the county and not the country), [...]


My profession in real life revolves around dialects, so I do my fair share of research on how people speak across North America.


I also have a fairly well-known character in game named Cletus Hicks. He sticks mostly to the county, very rarely popping into the city, and he's your typical truck-driving, volatile (but usually very kind), red-nosed, unhygienic "hick". Something that separates him from this stereotype is that he's relatively liberal in his politics. 


Cletus speaks in a very, very strong "rural" dialect. He pronounces words like "PEN" as "PIN", he lengthens vowel sounds and diphthongs (colloquially referred to as a "southern drawl"), his PRICE diphthong undergoes "glide deletion" resulting in just a longer monophthong, and other things that unfortunately can't be expressed too well through text. The only thing he really does that's inconsistent with the region is pronouncing "what" as "hwhat", with the "hw" sound. This is called the WHINE-WINE split and there is no evidence that it occurs in the west of the US. But... it's funny... and I doubt I'll get in administrative trouble for that 😛



When the southwestern United States (what our game world is based on) was settled, it involved many contributions from the South, with strong influence coming from Texas and Oklahoma. These phonological contributions aren't enough to extend the region we so know as "South" westward beyond Texas, but effects are found in several scattered remnants of Southern speech. Katherine Geenberg, a sociolinguist from Stanford University, has even found it to extend as far north as Trinity County, California. You can see her study on this "country-sounding" Californian accent here.

Rob Podesva, Asc. Professor of Linguistics at Stanford, has a study you can find here that mentions how Dust Bowl migrations of settlers into California during the Great Depression from places like Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, and Arkansas is the presumable cause of the "rural" accent we find in California's Central Valley. Even as recent as the 1970-1980s, we can find the timber industry boom in Northern California responsible for migrations from Arkansas and Oklahoma.


Some predominantly "Southern"-like features of English also exist in California, as mentioned in William Labov's Atlas of North American English, a large survey of pronunciation patterns in all the major urbanized centers of North America.

Sounds patterns like PRICE glide deletion, when the second bit of the vowel "ay" like in the word "PRICE" gets deleted, giving us something like "praaas" instead, has been found in several speakers living in Southern and Northern California.


The PIN-PEN merger (https://youtu.be/L1NXt5eWI10 listen to the second "menu" after 0:26) exists in areas north of Los Angeles, too. It also has been found to exist within Los Angeles. The PIN-PEN merger is when words with the "e" sound followed by a nasal sound become more of an "i". Pen becomes pin, men become min, twenty becomes twinny, etc. 


...and there are more.
 

According to both Geenberg and Podesva, it was mostly outdoorsy, lesser-educated people that demonstrated features of this "rural Californian" accent.

To say that there are no "hillbillies" or "hicks" in LS County is just not true. Of course, LS County is not LA County, so we'll never really know for sure what the staff on GTA:W wants the county's dialects to look like. Despite this, though, it is not unreasonable to find your stereotypical Southerner in the North, and one shouldn't feel any shame roleplaying a character of the sort! Nor should anyone get mad, or claim unrealistic RP, for interacting with a typical "hillbilly" in LS County.

 

Here's a fun video about "redneck" regions in California: 


Here's a video of a Californian hillbilly. For any linguists reading this, see if you can hear his apical, non-velarized, intervocalic /l/. Rare to find that in California!

 

TLDR: cletus gonna clet

Edited by Soyuz
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
  • Create New...