County roleplay & county community

socrates

A business isn’t going to suddenly change the county into some kind of hotbed of roleplay. County activity has always centered around factions and communities that offer a central hub, a diner or smoke shop isn’t going to do that. The county is too extremely diverse for that. 

2 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

A business isn’t going to suddenly change the county into some kind of hotbed of roleplay. County activity has always centered around factions and communities that offer a central hub, a diner or smoke shop isn’t going to do that. The county is too extremely diverse for that. 

It won't turn the county into that, but it would increase the hot spots for roleplay for sure. And it would feel better if we would have places to hang out, I think it sums up to that. But yes, factions have a better effect, but it limits on what you can roleplay, so for some people it might not be the right choice.

5 minutes ago, SOCRATES said:

It won't turn the county into that, but it would increase the hot spots for roleplay for sure. And it would feel better if we would have places to hang out, I think it sums up to that. But yes, factions have a better effect, but it limits on what you can roleplay, so for some people it might not be the right choice.

No matter what you do you’ll always leave out a group of people. County characters and subgroups are diverse and oppositional. A central hub isn’t just one thing either. Back during the last peak we had a strip club, a seedy bar, a diner and an active trailer park all interconnected fueling off each other. You can have one component of that but all you’ll get is a swarm of desperate county characters haphazardly grabbing onto something unnatural for their person. You’ll have different subgroups reluctantly mingle, and that’s where you get drama. 

Edited by eTaylor
8 hours ago, dontblink said:

We tried to run a diner with 3 people and it was not enough, and got busy stupid fast. So in my opinion three is not enough for this kind of rp especially when you need to work around timezones and real life commitments like families, children, work etc. Which can be a show stopper, actually especially if there are new born or young children involved in the rl commitments. There is always a hope that one would have the advantage of others interested to assist and work as its part of the community activity. Of course some real life commitments come out of the blue and are unexpected 

My argument is the fact diners as example rrquire more focus and more rp. It's not take an order and youre done, there's some discussion, communication. Think of any real life diner or restaurant. If there's one server and the place is busy ? It's not fun and stressful especially when rp takes more time then talking irl

I ran a whole Jamaican-themed restaurant with only 1 chef and 1 cashier, in Davis. We had some days where people snapped and tossed food at a crowd of customers because they kept rushing two people. Loved the R.P.

It's possible to run a small restaurant and diner with two people. However, during rush hour? It can get insane.

My tip for people building small local restaurants: build your kitchen within /s earshot of the counter and the cashier and you will have happier cooks who can interact with someone who isn't a grilled cheese sandwich.

Chefs tend to be a hilarious and insane little corner of any restaurant IRL and it's a shame that most businesses don't give them a chance to shine even as background ambience.

I haven't done much RP out there in the county, but every time I do, it's a nice experience. I do agree that it could use more communities and subsequently more RP hubs. I think there are in fact a bunch of factions there, but to really get into county RP, you gotta be a part of them. Otherwise, it's going to be the typical business management. Though I think creative businesses could help in that area. 

I think it's got something to do with people's lack of ideas and knowledge of how county RP works, assuming most members of the community live in urban areas/big cities, you are far more likely to RP a certain stereotype if you happened to live in an area where certain stereotypes are more common and have more inspiration to draw from, ranging from behavior, cultural differences etc.

Edited by Scoop
  • Wuhtah locked this topic