County roleplay & county community

socrates

4 hours ago, Wuhtah said:

What exactly would you guys appreciate from Property Management to help with the issues in the county?

Bare in mind, if you're having crate issues, you can always apply for a LFM budget or start a small trucking company solely in the county. 

It’s a big ask and obviously I understand it would take a lot of internal discussion. The best thing to do for the crate issues would be to put all the supply points out in the county (and vice versa all points in the city) so that trucking companies don’t have to drive all the way down to the port for supplies. Also vice versa, city truckers having to drive out to county and back for a few select crate choices.  It’s silly that something like groceries is only supplied in the county, so anyone in the city has to rely on truckers driving out to the county and back. Same as firearms crates only located in the county. Both the city and county should have every supply point needed for businesses in those areas in order to stay localized. 

Trucking has never been favorable for businesses in the county, even when there was a company out there. There was in the past and it didn’t work out. Some of the supply points are only available in the city, which means truckers start from the county and have to go down to the city and back. Paleto suffers from this even worse than Sandy. 

Totally get we have a shipping port and it makes sense, but it could easily be IC justified that the train system can bring supplies out to the county (NPC’d) just as ships bring supplies into the port (NPC’d). It’s just an issue that has never really been addressed. County businesses can’t get supplies they need unless they are associated with the few supply points that are out in the county. 

Saying they can just offer extra crate pay is also a cop out, in my opinion. They shouldn’t have to do that just to survive. I’m sure past or current Paleto and county business owners will attest how much more difficult it is to get supplies prioritized over city businesses (other than businesses that benefit from the few existing supply points in the county). 

Speaking as someone who’s been trucking for a long time on more than one character, I know I was always one of the rare ones who would make the longer trips to these businesses. The crate payment system prioritizes fastest and closest. Always. Just the way a majority of drivers operate. Wish it were different. 

Edited by Brofessor
4 hours ago, Rhelli said:

More housing options!

Jokes aside, I think one of the big problems is that there're very few businesses active. This is just an idea, but maybe some sort of initiative and/or incentive to run county businesses? Perhaps a list of inactive county businesses that could be posted in the various county discords to see if any of the locals want to pick it up?

Also more simple ways to enter the county, really. I remember a specific case, that is... a waste and somewhat heart breaking in more ways than one. :x 

A character (friend of my own) spent about 2 months preparing to move out to the county. The only reason why that character lived in the city was because there was 0 housing available in Harmony/Sandy, but that girl belonged there all along, from the beginning. Problem is: when she applied for a house there, she was told she needed to be active in Blaine County (like work there and such). So, she spent those 2 months getting support IC'ly from people all across, to rekindle some life into a business (a diner) that hadn't opened in forever. After 2 months of RP around Sandy and around preparing to open said diner... lease was denied. She couldn't get a house in the county because she didn't work there, and also she couldn't get a business in the county because she didn't live there. 

The diner was given to someone from the county. Oh also, fun fact, it never opened a single time since it was given in February. Not once. Zero. Amazing pick really. 😕 

Now of course there's the usual "well get an RV" and other such stuff... but honestly, why would someone with an apartment in the city buy an RV to live on a parking lot? "Just go and RP with people from the county!", well yeah, she did for 2 months but it wasn't enough, it seems. And... that here is a big part of the problem.

Admins and PM cannot know what a character's been RP'ing. It makes sense, there's 700 people online in the evening, nobody is asking them to be omniscient ^^' However, having criteria that are less set in stone, when it comes to county housing/business requests, could be nice. Because the consequence of that rigidity is that we HAVE PEOPLE WILLING TO OPEN BUSINESSES THERE and RP there. But they're denied. And then we have people complaining that there aren't open businesses in the county :x 

TL;DR: There is no simple way to move a character from the city to the county, if somehow as a new player you ever bought an apartment in the city you're stuck there - unless you're ready to live the RV life (as if it was a sort of trophy of good RP for your char to live in an RV or something), possibly for months upon months upon months, you won't be able to move out of LS. There is this weird mentality that to be "worth" RP'ing in the county you need to suffer through dumb shit, which is a little odd - and may partially explain the ebb and flow of RP there. 

Edited by Topinambour

You just can't go that way "If you wanna house in county, roleplay there first." This line alone makes zero sense. Where will your character live? Or are we gonna powergame them living somewhere in the county BEFORE we get an actual living space there? If we are moving out there, we just move out there. It's not unrealistic and people do it all the time in real life.

Edited by Engelbert

In my opinion the trucker issue is something that RPers in the county could figure out IC. It seems so strange that the stereotypical deep south Salt of the Earth redneck that loves trucks is such a typical trope and that there aren't more people RPing as actual stereotypical truckers. People complain that there's no businesses open, which I understand, but all of this could become a storyline if people are interested: few businesses -> businesses get no supplies -> no jobs in the county since businesses don't open -> someone takes up the life of a trucker to be on the road and bring money home.

Considering how RP in the county is also sporadic depending on the limited amount of players and their availability, you'd think that trucking around the county would be a great filler until people log in in your timezone.

27 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

Also more simple ways to enter the county, really. I remember a specific case, that is... a waste and somewhat heart breaking in more ways than one. :x 

A character (friend of my own) spent about 2 months preparing to move out to the county. The only reason why that character lived in the city was because there was 0 housing available in Harmony/Sandy, but that girl belonged there all along, from the beginning. Problem is: when she applied for a house there, she was told she needed to be active in Blaine County (like work there and such). So, she spent those 2 months getting support IC'ly from people all across, to rekindle some life into a business (a diner) that hadn't opened in forever. After 2 months of RP around Sandy and around preparing to open said diner... lease was denied. She couldn't get a house in the county because she didn't work there, and also she couldn't get a business in the county because she didn't live there. 

The diner was given to someone from the county. Oh also, fun fact, it never opened a single time since it was given in February. Not once. Zero. Amazing pick really. 😕 

Now of course there's the usual "well get an RV" and other such stuff... but honestly, why would someone with an apartment in the city buy an RV to live on a parking lot? "Just go and RP with people from the county!", well yeah, she did for 2 months but it wasn't enough, it seems. And... that here is a big part of the problem.

Admins and PM cannot know what a character's been RP'ing. It makes sense, there's 700 people online in the evening, nobody is asking them to be omniscient ^^' However, having criteria that are less set in stone, when it comes to county housing/business requests, could be nice. Because the consequence of that rigidity is that we HAVE PEOPLE WILLING TO OPEN BUSINESSES THERE and RP there. But they're denied. And then we have people complaining that there aren't open businesses in the county :x 

TL;DR: There is no simple way to move a character from the city to the county, if somehow as a new player you ever bought an apartment in the city you're stuck there - unless you're ready to live the RV life (as if it was a sort of trophy of good RP for your char to live in an RV or something), possibly for months upon months upon months, you won't be able to move out of LS. There is this weird mentality that to be "worth" RP'ing in the county you need to suffer through dumb shit, which is a little odd - and may partially explain the ebb and flow of RP there. 

One argument I have to place on a diner is I put up posters in cim format around town trying to hire people because it's not a two person job running a diner. Also irl stuff and time zones has contributed to the inability to make schedules work for everyone involved. It's the same with the bars, only one or two people seem to be willing to work these and even when you hire people some you never seen again so it demotivates owners to open these businesses as we do want to get locals and others involved. 

Just my two cents 

44 minutes ago, Koko said:

In my opinion the trucker issue is something that RPers in the county could figure out IC. It seems so strange that the stereotypical deep south Salt of the Earth redneck that loves trucks is such a typical trope and that there aren't more people RPing as actual stereotypical truckers. People complain that there's no businesses open, which I understand, but all of this could become a storyline if people are interested: few businesses -> businesses get no supplies -> no jobs in the county since businesses don't open -> someone takes up the life of a trucker to be on the road and bring money home.

Considering how RP in the county is also sporadic depending on the limited amount of players and their availability, you'd think that trucking around the county would be a great filler until people log in in your timezone.

It is a good time filler, but most people won’t truck in the county unless the supply point is near the business. Most truckers don’t willingly choose long distance runs. A lot of county businesses require going to the city and back for the same crate payment as a business in the city that’s 1 mile from the port. There are unfortunately not enough people who prioritize their trucker RP over fastest/closest drop for money. I wish it were different but the way they designed the trucking system, it’s just how it is. 

Larger problem is the trucking system and how truckers get paid as a whole. That would take a huge push from the development side. A smaller and more feasible fix would be to give both the city and county all the supply points required to remain localized.

Edited by Brofessor
1 hour ago, Brofessor said:

It’s a big ask and obviously I understand it would take a lot of internal discussion. The best thing to do for the crate issues would be to put all the supply points out in the county (and vice versa all points in the city) so that trucking companies don’t have to drive all the way down to the port for supplies. Also vice versa, city truckers having to drive out to county and back for a few select crate choices.  It’s silly that something like groceries is only supplied in the county, so anyone in the city has to rely on truckers driving out to the county and back. Same as firearms crates only located in the county. Both the city and county should have every supply point needed for businesses in those areas in order to stay localized. 

Trucking has never been favorable for businesses in the county, even when there was a company out there. There was in the past and it didn’t work out. Some of the supply points are only available in the city, which means truckers start from the county and have to go down to the city and back. Paleto suffers from this even worse than Sandy. 

Totally get we have a shipping port and it makes sense, but it could easily be IC justified that the train system can bring supplies out to the county (NPC’d) just as ships bring supplies into the port (NPC’d). It’s just an issue that has never really been addressed. County businesses can’t get supplies they need unless they are associated with the few supply points that are out in the county. 

Saying they can just offer extra crate pay is also a cop out, in my opinion. They shouldn’t have to do that just to survive. I’m sure past or current Paleto and county business owners will attest how much more difficult it is to get supplies prioritized over city businesses (other than businesses that benefit from the few existing supply points in the county). 

Speaking as someone who’s been trucking for a long time on more than one character, I know I was always one of the rare ones who would make the longer trips to these businesses. The crate payment system prioritizes fastest and closest. Always. Just the way a majority of drivers operate. Wish it were different. 

I will look into this more definitely.

1 hour ago, Topinambour said:

Instead of complaining about a diner not being opened - why not property report it? You're doing absolutely nothing by posting it on the forums here in a general discussion thread, but since I am here, I will look into it 🙂 Also, if your friend reaches out to Property Management (me especially) we have some trailers available. She was probably denied for more reasons than she gave you, thus I will leave the option that she can come to me to get a property in the county and that is all. 

To be quite frank, we are more than lenient when people apply for house requests and business requests in the county as we know this is an area that is in dire need of businesses and players needing residential properties. If someone is denied, well, they know the reasons and we can't be so lenient that they do not give us anything to work with (we offer feedback, plenty of it and all of our DMs are open, there truly is no reason for them not to eventually obtain it). 

Again, 🙂 we have plenty of properties and businesses available. We have been lied to plenty of times of someone stating their character is trying to move from the city to the county - we offer them a property and a business, they still stay in the city and the business goes inactive and the property unused. So, please forgive us if we don't always believe when one says so and need additional proof (we do look up RP logs to make sure, and we ask county RPers if they have seen that character around). 

54 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

You just can't go that way "If you wanna house in county, roleplay there first." This line alone makes zero sense. Where will your character live? Or are we gonna powergame them living somewhere in the county BEFORE we get an actual living space there? If we are moving out there, we just move out there. It's not unrealistic and people do it all the time in real life.

We usually ask players to at least rent in a motel room within the county to make it more realistic. Again, we're very lenient with housing as we know it's limited. 

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 2
23 minutes ago, Wuhtah said:

I will look into this more definitely.

That would be greatly appreciated, more than you can imagine. I think if it were made easier for businesses in the county to stay supplied without much hassle and operate more often, this obviously leads to more job opportunities for people to immerse themselves with. Businesses are really the lifeline, in my opinion, to anyone who might consider county RP outside of faction type RP in the area. Think of the opportunities in the city when coffee shops, bars, clubs, bowling alleys, trucking companies are all hiring in the city. A lot of those businesses have a much easier time of getting supplied in the current setup. If those businesses could be supplied easier in the county and opened more often (both Sandy and Paleto), I am confident activity would creep up. People are often apprehensive to try something new and its even harder if there's no "ice breaker" such as a job opportunity for some less experienced RP'ers. The easier it is for businesses to operate and stay open (fixing the trucking/supply point issue), I think the easier it will be for people to go and spend more time out there as locals. Not everyone is into jumping straight into a faction out there, so what's next in line? Get a job. Meet people. Go from there. It's hard when the businesses can't stay open.

Also, any clarification on RV's and where they can be parked IC'ly for someone to technically live in it? Outside of a motel rental or house request, people have been encouraged to get an RV in order to live out in the county. Where can one IC'ly park it or live in it without anyone taking issue? I have not seen a lot of guidance towards that. To my knowledge, there isn't any sort of established RV park or designated living area if people want to live in their RV's. Some awareness with that might be a good step as well. Open up opportunities for people to explore.

Edited by Brofessor
3 minutes ago, Brofessor said:

That would be greatly appreciated, more than you can imagine. I think if it were made easier for businesses in the county to stay supplied without much hassle and operate more often, this obviously leads to more job opportunities for people to immerse themselves with. Businesses are really the lifeline, in my opinion, to anyone who might consider county RP outside of faction type RP in the area. Think of the opportunities in the city when coffee shops, bars, clubs, bowling alleys, trucking companies are all hiring in the city. A lot of those businesses have a much easier time of getting supplied in the current setup. If those businesses could be supplied easier in the county and opened more often (both Sandy and Paleto), I am confident activity would creep up. People are often apprehensive to try something new and its even harder if there's no "ice breaker" for some less experienced RP'ers such as a job opportunity. The easier it is for businesses to operate and stay open (fixing the trucking issue), I think more people would be willing to go and spend more time out there as locals. Not everyone is into jumping straight into a faction out there, so what's next in line? Get a job. Meet people. Go from there. It's hard when the businesses can't stay open.

Perhaps I can ask management if we can manually do the crates and have the businesses /charity the amount in which would be owed. This is a VERY long shot, but nonetheless at least an idea to help solve some issues. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic