Effectiveness of Housing Price Controls

Power

10 minutes ago, Brofessor said:

It's clear that you don't get it, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion nor would the thread have been created. It's obvious we're not going anywhere with this, as multiple people have explained the issue with the suggestion. Your suggestion to remove price controls entirely will decimate the server's economy as it has done in past servers more than once. You underestimate people's ability to be greedy and think the market will regulate itself, which it won't. It's been shown in the past on this server before price controls were ever put in. The server management enacted price controls because things were getting out of hand, so it's already been shown that it will get out of hand. Proof is in the pudding. It's already happened. It will happen again, especially if you remove any sort of control at all. The only reason it's happening slower now is precisely because we have that 6 month gap that not everyone is willing to wait to sell their house for a ridiculous price.

No I just disagree with you hence I stopped directly replying to you I just left it as we'll agree to disagree you are the one who continued to reply directly to me. And I NEVER said remove every or any control. What does it matter if how control the prices of houses if it results in less people selling theirs. You can't buy a house that isn't for sale. 

Edited by Power
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Power said:

No I just disagree with you hence I stopped directly replying to you I just left it as we'll agree to disagree you are the one who continued to reply directly to me. And I NEVER said remove every or any control. 

Lol that's not how a public discussion works. I can quote you if I feel its something to respond to. People are going to agree and disagree with you.. It's not to argue or troll, it's to have a discussion. Your original suggestion was to remove time restrictions on when people can sell a house for any price they want, then you changed that to a "half the time limit to 3 months instead" after people started disagreeing with you. If you're not interested in having a discussion unless its with people who agree with you, then you're in the wrong place. Your suggestion is the wrong direction, as its been heavily suggested by several people on this thread already.

On topic 👏 👏👏 Since I've run out of reactions for the day lol

10 hours ago, Frezemis said:

Honestly, there is no "perfect" way to ensure it being fair aside from regulations and making sure players are using the properties. We don't regulate it then it becomes free reign and you'll see Grove Street houses going for millions.

Edited by Brofessor
16 minutes ago, Brofessor said:

Lol that's not how a public discussion works. I can quote you if I feel its something to respond to. People are going to agree and disagree with you.. It's not to argue or troll, it's to have a discussion. Your original suggestion was to remove time restrictions on when people can sell a house for any price they want, then you changed that to a "half the time limit to 3 months instead" after people started disagreeing with you. If you're not interested in having a discussion unless its with people who agree with you, then you're in the wrong place. Your suggestion is the wrong direction, as its been heavily suggested by several people on this thread already.

On topic 👏 👏👏 Since I've run out of reactions for the day lol

I understand that is how a public thread works but I already came to the conclusion long before you we weren't going to change each others minds so I started engaging more with other posters also because you kept twisting my words like now making it seems I only want people to agree with me when I've engaged everyone on this thread that disagreed with me and debating my points respectfully.. Never said you couldn't reply but saying "It's clear that you don't get it" isn't conducive to a productive discussion. If you disagree fine but saying I don't get it is condescending. And the fact most of the replies are against it doesn't mean anything. You think because something is popular automatically makes it right? Anyways like I said lets just agree to disagree. 

Edited by Power

Imo there has to be pricing control. If people have too much money and no way to spend them? Create taxes, what else.

If you stumble upon a luxurious house interior in south LS, call RPQM, cause you shouldn't really have a Michael's style interior in south central.

Pricing should differ from region to region. 

Edited by Engelbert

I live at my happiest not even wanting anything to do near a house tbh. Gotta love RPing in a cozy apartment.

It seems like people are framing the access to a high-end, luxury house as some sort of right which I find pretty bizarre. A mansion is a money sink for the people who have been here long enough to have made enough script money that they literally have nothing else to blow it on anymore than the ultimate endgame home. I'm sorry, but if you didn't get a house when they were first offered, it's very unlikely you will be getting one unless you know someone who knows someone willing to sell it to you through semi-OOC channels. That's just always been the reality of attractive properties (particularly businesses) when it comes down to it.

5 hours ago, Power said:

So everyone that has been paying 5x MP recently for houses should just take a massive L? All this will do is make sure is even less houses are on the market. 

The market will re-balance itself eventually. I think we've established that allowing total free reign or absolutely insane resale prices isn't going to solve it. If the mentality if going to be "nobody will take an L" then by that logic housing prices will only continue to increase as everyone will want to sell it for at least what they got it for, if not more. You could maybe try and work out a reimbursement system, but then again, I don't think we reimburse people who lose their houses due to going inactivity when work or school flares up, though I could be wrong on that. 

Either way, the current system is messed up and it needs improvement. Going full free market mode on it won't help and will only make the issue worse since we have no way of increasing supply of standalone properties in any substantial way. 

21 hours ago, tired! said:

You can't sell a house that's been given through housing requests, not the newer requests anyway. You can only sell them back to PM when you're finished with them. The houses you see in the properties section are ones people have gotten almost years ago and/or ones that have been bought or traded through different people. Most Vinewood/Rockford ones are barely owned because most people can't justify owning a huge mansion for their character. I've never seen a Vinewood/Rockford mansion up for sale and most I've come across were gained through house requests.

Would be great if people were prohibited from trading properties, to begin with, as a /whole/.

1 minute ago, DLimit said:

Would be great if people were prohibited from trading properties, to begin with, as a /whole/.

Basically this, houses should serve a roleplay purpose and not be some sort of economic meta meme reserved for people with unbalanced disposable time. How many houses are even sold through in character means? The whole thing is more out-of-character than in-character. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic