GTAW + RDW - Which would you prefer? Excited?

On 4/2/2022 at 9:32 AM, BINGBONGBALONEY said:

Hypothetically if another client came along that allowed you to do everything RageMP allows you to do but it's not RageMP, would you move over and have RDW on a separate client? 

No, I personally don't have the time to redevelop a full gamemode from scratch for Red Dead when there is still so much to do here. I'll wait for Rage or open nothing.

2 minutes ago, Nervous said:

No, I personally don't have the time to redevelop a full gamemode from scratch for Red Dead when there is still so much to do here. I'll wait for Rage or open nothing.

So how would development for RDW work on RageMP? Unless you can just copy and paste systems from GTAW wouldn't you still need to redevelop a gamemode either way?

20 minutes ago, BINGBONGBALONEY said:

So how would development for RDW work on RageMP? Unless you can just copy and paste systems from GTAW wouldn't you still need to redevelop a gamemode either way?

RageMP:RDR, based on what we know, will have a very similar API to RageMP:V which means porting GTA:W should be a relatively easy task.

• In comparison, the switch from GT:MP -> RageMP was a monumental task.
  • RageMP:V -> RageMP:RDR should be an easy task in comparison and not require a re-write.

Of course, there will be a huge reworking of the script, but more to accommodate RDR2 specific features, existing features that are not GTA:V specific will likely not be changed much (if at all).

Edited by Seanny
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, BINGBONGBALONEY said:

No because most of the code of the gamemode will be directly usable since it'll be the same API. Obviously there will be some changes but we're already have directly 80% of the gamemode done, the rest will be adding new scripts using assets from RDR or their specific objects / natives.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if you can have good historical RP given how "adult" the topics dominating that time period would be (racism, sexism, rape, slavery, murder, etc). Disallowing all that would create a comical setting without any of the grit that makes westerns appealing. Allowing all that is a massive can of worms to open and an admin headache.

I don't really want to RP characters in that time period if the historical accuracy isn't there. What fun is RPing a black sheriff if there's no systemic racism? What's the point of a Calamity Jane character if there's modern gender values?  The stuff that went down on the American Frontier was pretty ugly, much more so than modern L.A gang dynamics. Speaking as someone that usually roleplays "underdog" characters (female criminals, outcast minorities, etc) I would be pretty annoyed if my characters were treated in a 2022 manner in 1890. 

I think it'd have to be an 18+ type server with a much more serious "adult" approach, otherwise it's just GTA:W with horses and offers little but different aesthetics.

Edited by SunPuddle
10 hours ago, SunPuddle said:

I don't know if you can have good historical RP given how "adult" the topics dominating that time period would be (racism, sexism, rape, slavery, murder, etc). Disallowing all that would create a comical setting without any of the grit that makes westerns appealing. Allowing all that is a massive can of worms to open and an admin headache.

I don't really want to RP characters in that time period if the historical accuracy isn't there. What fun is RPing a black sheriff if there's no systemic racism? What's the point of a Calamity Jane character if there's modern gender values?  The stuff that went down on the American Frontier was pretty ugly, much more so than modern L.A gang dynamics. Speaking as someone that usually roleplays "underdog" characters (female criminals, outcast minorities, etc) I would be pretty annoyed if my characters were treated in a 2022 manner in 1890. 

I think it'd have to be an 18+ type server with a much more serious "adult" approach, otherwise it's just GTA:W with horses and offers little but different aesthetics.

Me and you must have been playing a different GTAW.

I wanna say 95% of criminal characters are openly sexist, racist, murderers and before it was outlawed a large percentage of them would definitely /pm you for rape perms after kidnapping your female character if you didn't have anything worth stealing, if anything a lot of GTAW criminals would be more suited to RDW with how careless they are and how often they get away with horrible crimes modern day America wouldn't allow them to.

I think current GTAW's rules as a base would be fine with a few tweaks here and there, they're open enough that dicey themes like racism, sexism and the like are perfectly fine portrayed on an IC level for a proper representation of the time period but fair enough that you can't just mindlessly slaughter or enslave people for being a certain race or gender. Not 100% accurate? Sure, but there's a reason why I also can't also walk in to a bar and empty a mag in to a group of innocent civilians because I want to leave a mark before I kill myself as a character.

Edited by BINGBONGBALONEY
  • Upvote 2
On 4/4/2022 at 6:38 PM, Nervous said:

Hell will freeze over before that happens. RedM could be a viable option, there have already been text servers there but I think the playercount is a bit limited but it would do until Rage get their asses into gear. It would be a shame to miss out on such a unique opportunity for roleplay. Hell you could even start a Gofundme for the project and I'm sure players would throw money at you to hire developers if you don't want to do the game mode yourself. Seems cruel to let it languish just because Rage don't see RedDead as a priority.

Edited by Moonsong
  • Wuhtah locked this topic