GTAW + RDW - Which would you prefer? Excited?

there is nothing fun to roleplay pre-1980 in America. 

can't wait to have my RDR2 character:

• lynched
  • run down by "slave catchers"
  • set on fire
  • dragged by a horse
  • called "boy"
  • run down by lawmen for crimes i didnt commit
  • shot for being a working non-violent individual of darker complexion
  • declined work for being of darker complexion 
  • framed for crimes by white women
  • Upvote 2

This sounds interesting and is definitely something I'd be 100% up to try, but, in all honesty, I'm not sure if we should expect it to go flawlessly. The concept itself is definitely interesting & something that's deserving of being given a shot, however, would we be able to pull it off? My goal is not to offend anybody, but, let's be honest — As of right now, we have people struggling to realistically portray Californians (a very well known state, whose culture enjoys a ton of media coverage, through music, documentaries, vlogs, social media, and whatnot), and, in some scenarios, we have people struggling to realistically portray modern day human beings. Can we really expect those same people to realistically portray the United States of America in the 19th century? Especially considering that that specific period is extremely romanticized and the mainstream media's been overblowing everything related to it for the past 150+ years, to the point where the average person's understanding of the "wild, wild west" is heavily influenced by fiction.

In short — Great concept in theory, and I'd be up to try it, and, if it's good, I can see it as something that I'd have fun playing. On the other hand, are we 100% sure that it can be pulled off in a realistic fashion & we won't have people running around, speaking half modern-day-English, half romanticized-1850s-English, pretending that they're the "fastest gun around" & pulling off unrealistic stunts seen only in Hollywood movies? I sure hope it's possible, but, we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by onefortyseven

As someone who has been part of multiple Western RP projects in the past, including one on SA-MP, I believe the setting itself lends itself better to the limitations of text-based roleplay. Red Dead RP would be refreshing because:

0) No "cameras" anywhere, so no need to argue about what would be recorded and what wouldn't, no arguments on the forums about if it's realistic to do XYZ in ABC place.

1) No phones or radios. No good excuse for why some players need IC VOIP over others.

2) No social media or other IC websites. Means more of the gameplay happens in-game. Still room for forum components, like boards for postings.

3) No nightclubs, DJs, or supermodels. Cuts out some of the most vapid parts of RP.

4) Less IC bureaucracy to hide OOC bureaucray behind. This was a world where you could make it just fine without knowing how to read or write, and you were answerable to very few government organizations--licenses, permits, inspections, so on.

5) There is a better IC justification for the world being a violent shitshow where everyone's carrying guns and ready to fight or shoot each other over small provocations.

6) No shitty non-RP driving and dumb looking cars. I'll take people with dumb haircuts on their horses and launching their four-legged companions into trees any day.

7) Police aren't as big of a deal, and people are more responsible for protecting themselves and their own communities rather than some ultimate organization. Suddenly the police are no longer this omnipresent, super OOCly protected organization, but just another faction like any other that needs to rise, and that people need to either accept or contend with. 

8) More opportunity for "criminal" RP which makes sense for the setting. 

9) Communities grow ICly as they would in reality--rather than portraying a fully functioning first world metropolis where we're supposed to have all this human infrastructure, it's up to the players to ICly build up the infrastructure in their communities--policing forces, medical services, and so on. 

10) There's more day-to-day slice of life RP available to people. Good storytelling often revolves around conflict. The conflicts of the modern world are mostly pretty boring and easy to solve, mundane. They don't make for good RP. "I'm out of groceries, I need to go to the store" can be a decent background RP on GTA:W with the right people, but it's not much of a conflict--you get in your car and go to a store. That's why most conflict RP on GTA:W is people threatening to kill each other or botched robberies and other attempted murders over minor disagreements. There'd still be plenty of this in a Red Dead RP community, but there's also a lot more room for people to always figure out something their character can be actively doing.

I think RP in Red Dead would just generally be a better fit in with the medium available to use--a slower pace, text-based RP. Less ADHD of trying to run around the map making it to openings or getting called in the middle of RPs to go to other RPs, less businesses competing for attention, more organic neighborhood-style RP (which is what we've seen works best for long-term RP).

It wouldn't be perfect. Red Dead roleplay would have a smaller target audience, so we'd be looking more in the ballpark of 50-150 player peaks, and it's a very large map with no easy IC way to coordinate over distances. Realistically, most of the RP would take place in and around one or two main towns players have developed around, and the wilderness would be pretty wide open (I think this would be awesome though). Certainly you'd have a lot of characters which don't "fit" and it'd take some extra moderation and coaching to help players adapt. 

Most controversially, however, the community would probably have to make some concessions together in order to create a more interesting roleplay environment. Some very difficult conversations would need to be had about how "realistically" we want to portray the rights/standing of women and non-white races. Roleplay in a historical period would definitely attract a lot of people who just want to have an excuse to RP incredibly sexist or racist people. Even if the community came to the sound agreement that we'd bend historical accuracy to allow people a more positive RP experience, there'd still be plenty of RPers who'd try to force racial or sexist conflicts. Some would argue that these conflicts form the backbone of the genre and getting rid of them is inauthentic, boring, and "pandering." The Western Genre as a whole is rife with incredibly racist caricatures and stereotypes, would those be the norm or would we buck them? Where would we draw the line on what's "too modern" and what's not? Would people RPing openly gay characters be OOCly punished, would there be an expectation that they will face severe IC discrimination and violence, or would we hand-wave that we have some modern, pragmatic sensibilities about this sort of thing? No answer is correct, no answer satisfies everyone, and every answer leaves a lot of gray area for what is and isn't acceptable divergent behavior.

tl;dr: I think it'd be awesome, but I don't think it'd be awesome for a community the size of GTA:W. We have too many people here, too many opinions, too many ideas of what RP "is" to please. This diversity is usually a strength in GTA:W, and on this community you can find almost every kind of RP you'd want if you take the time (and have the luck) to find RPers who mesh with you. A Red Dead RP server would need to be a lot more focused with its mission and objectives, and it'd need to draw some harder lines about what sort of RP fits and doesn't fit. This will drive away lots of people, but if it attracts a solid core group of heavy RPers it'd be one of the best RP experiences of any video game in our lifetimes, guaranteed.

Edited by Ink
  • Upvote 7
11 hours ago, onefortyseven said:

This sounds interesting and is definitely something I'd be 100% up to try, but, in all honesty, I'm not sure if we should expect it to go flawlessly. The concept itself is definitely interesting & something that's deserving of being given a shot, however, would we be able to pull it off? My goal is not to offend anybody, but, let's be honest — As of right now, we have people struggling to realistically portray Californians (a very well known state, whose culture enjoys a ton of media coverage, through music, documentaries, vlogs, social media, and whatnot), and, in some scenarios, we have people struggling to realistically portray modern day human beings. Can we really expect those same people to realistically portray the United States of America in the 19th century? Especially considering that that specific period is extremely romanticized and the mainstream media's been overblowing everything related to it for the past 150+ years, to the point where the average person's understanding of the "wild, wild west" is heavily influenced by fiction.

In short — Great concept in theory, and I'd be up to try it, and, if it's good, I can see it as something that I'd have fun playing. On the other hand, are we 100% sure that it can be pulled off in a realistic fashion & we won't have people running around, speaking half modern-day-English, half romanticized-1850s-English, pretending that they're the "fastest gun around" & pulling off unrealistic stunts seen only in Hollywood movies? I sure hope it's possible, but, we'll have to wait and see.

Would this really be a bad thing if we were to roleplay in a romanticized western movie?

I arguably would say that for those who are interested (not everyone is going to be keen on the era for RP), realism can take a backseat and let people just enjoy their characters and really invest in one another without this constant OOC nagging of what's realistic or not.

Westerns are entertaining for a reason, why not just emulate that in a game.

With all that said - I don't think we'll be seeing in through Rage. Perhaps another.

• Wuhtah locked this topic