Infinite loading screen loop when launching RAGE.MP

Hi all. I have a very odd problem, where my game launches normally (RAGE.MP loading → R* Games Launcher Login → EAC Loading → RAGE.MP loading screen), and then gets stuck on the 'default' GTA V login screen (artwork pictures cycle, music plays) & stays like that, pretty much stuck in a loop (Reference picture of where it gets 'stuck' can be found here). At first I thought it's just RAGE.MP/GTAV being RAGE.MP/GTAV and that it'll take a bit longer than usual to load, as it sometimes does, but, after waiting for ~50 minutes, it was apparent there would be no progress, so it tried again, and again, and again. Eventually, after ~3 hours of trying to log on, I called it quits and decided to get help. Did anyone else experience this, and, if yes, what steps did you take to fix it? To rule out some things that people could suggest, that I have tried already, here's a list of what I did so far — none helped.

1. Restart Rockstar Launcher / Relaunch RAGE.MP, a couple of times.
  2. PC Restart (both the restart option, as well as "Shut Down" → let rest → try again).
  3. Disable antivirus software.
  4. Disable Windows Defender Firewall.
  5. Close other programs that could be 'eating up' RAM — Didn't really expect this to work, and, it didn't.
  6. Verify Game Files through Rockstar Launcher.
  7. Change the priority of "PlayGTAV.exe" and "ragemp_game_ui.exe" to "Realtime".
  8. Tried to follow BadassBaboon's tutorial (this) up until the point where I was unable to (bullet point 5) — Even the home-hosted server doesn't launch, game is still stuck in the same loop as with GTA World.
  9. Reinstall RAGE.MP.
  10. Launch GTA V Singleplayer & change the resolution to something else, different from the old one. Windowed → Windowed Borderless, too.
  11. Disable Discord Overlay.
  12. Run CCleaner.
  13. Update ScriptHookV.
  14. Lock the FPS to 30 through Rivatuner.
  15. Turn VSync to "Fast" through NVIDIA Control Panel (Global Settings).
  16. Ensure that GPU drivers are up to date.

Some things (possibly) worth noting, that could (hopefully) help someone with a bit more knowledge than me figure out what's going on easier, or at least, provide more information about the problem:

1. It ran generally fine up until last night. Surprisingly, even the infamous EAC update didn't cause my game to go crazy (or at least, not until last night, I'm not 100% ruling EAC out but I'd find it kinda odd if something changed more than a month after EAC was first added to RAGE.MP). I did suffer from long-ish load times in the past, but that's due to the fact that my game is on a HDD & my PC is just 'your average' & not some gaming-oriented i9, RTX3080 thing.
  2. I don't run any mods (bar from Menyoo & all the mods it requires), but I installed those a few months ago and haven't really used them at all, so I don't see how they'd make a difference now.
  3. The game ran fine after the latest GTA World update, so I assume there is nothing related to that specific update that might be causing this issue.
  4. Rockstar Games Launcher game version.

Edited by onefortyseven

I'm not exactly a 100 percent sure what could fix this given the fact you've tried all possible repairs above but I could say try to get in singleplayer then online thru the regular game from steam or epic games (whichever you own) and change your resolution to whatever's possible then go from windowed to fullscreen or windowed borderless(try both) and if this doesnt work out you then you might need to reinstall the game entirely rather than just reinstalling RAGE or verifying files integrity. 

(You might need to change the settings in online and singleplayer both since it's online's graphical settings that affect RAGE's.)

So, to summarize:

- Change your resolution to whatever's possible other than what you have right now then go from windowed to fullscreen or windowed borderless(try both)
- Reinstall the game entirely.
- Lock your fps to 30 or 24 using RTSS Rivatuner https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html  (Download links at the bottom of the page)

Edited by cocaine90

Update: I tried a couple other things, some suggested here & some suggested in private thru Discord and whatnot, as well as a few things that I could come up on my own:

1.  Launching GTA V Singleplayer, then setting the resolution to something different to what I had before, as well as switching from Windowed to Windowed Borderless — No results, the game still refuses to launch (RAGE.MP). GTA V Singleplayer works fine.
  2. Disabling Discord Overlay — I've read that it could cause problems with RAGE.MP, so, I figured I could give it a try. Needless to say, it didn't work.
  3. Running CCleaner — Someone suggested I run CCleaner, as that's how they fixed their game when they had this same issue. Tried it, but to no avail.
  4. Updated ScriptHookV. Now, this one is tricky as I'm not sure if the version I downloaded is the latest one (December 20th, 2021), but, it's the latest one I could find following a quick search. Figured I should do this as I used to get a pop-up saying "SEARCH FOR SCRIPTHOOK UPDATES" every now and again. This, unfortunately, did not work.
  5. Locked the FPS to 30 through RTSS Rivatuner — Nada.
  6. Turned VSync to "Fast" in "NVIDIA Control Panel", under "Global Settings" — No bueno.
  7. Made sure I have the latest drivers installed — Also nothing.

However, I noticed something. After doing steps 5 through 7 (I did them all at once, before trying to re-launch the game and see if they helped), the game launched, went thru the RAGE.MP loading process (R* Launcher → EAC → Game launches with the RAGE.MP bar at the bottom of the screen → Goes back to the aforementioned "loop"), and then, it went back to one of those RAGE.MP loading screens with the RAGE.MP loading bar — "Connection Lost. Reconnecting." It stayed like that for ~10 minutes or so, before I eventually shut it off thru Task Manager.

I stopped short of reinstalling the game as someone might come up with something that could help (I was also given a few ideas that I'd like to try tomorrow when I'm less dead inside and not half asleep, so I'll wait 'till I do that) & I might end up not having to go thru the long and boring process of deleting the game, downloading 105GB again, downloading RAGE.MP again and reinstalling everything. Also, the base game works fine (at least in singleplayer), so I suspect it's something that has to do with RAGE.MP specifically.

(Those 7 steps added to the first post, too)

Edited by onefortyseven

Hi there,

Although I can not provide detailed support on exactly how to fix this, I can confirm that up until today I have never really had any issues with RageMP. I suffered with the same issue as you today, I thought it was just me or the server was having issues. I tried the following which seemed to help.

1. Go into task manager and close all RockStar, RageMp, GTA5 and steam processes.

2. Open steam, then open the RageMP with Admin.

These issues occurred a few times before doing these steps but have now seemed to resolve 

I hope you can get your game fixed as soon as possible as it's never fun trying to deal with these issues.

Change your rockstar account with someone else (recommending a friend) then run the game over his rockstar account, that will remove it and you will be able to play again with your account as well, had the same problem! Hope it fixes it!

Well, managed to fix it. This can be locked. Had a discussion with a friend last night, and he suggested I do something I honestly didn't think of up until then. Anyway, in case someone else is struggling with this, I'ma post the steps I took here, so you can replicate them and (hopefully) get your game to work again:

1. Go to C:/RAGE.MP and then run "uninstall". Wait for it to finish its job.
  2. Delete all the contents of the C;/RAGE.MP folder, as well as the folder itself.
  3. Go to Documents → Rockstar Games. Delete the entire folder (You should keep a backup of it, so you don't lose something you might need, as it contains GTA V, R* Launcher & Social Club data)
  4. Restart your PC.
  5. Redownload and reinstall RAGE.MP.
  6. Run the game, wait for it to redownload all the server assets and what not (This might take a bit).
  7. Play.

As an additional measure, although I'm not sure if it was necessary or not, I also disabled my antivirus software and closed all unnecessary applications, as well as those that might be interfering with the network or GTAV/RAGE.MP through Task Manager.

Thanks for your suggestions, homies.

Edited by onefortyseven
  • Upvote 1