What is the definition of an E-Thug?

I have a genuine question for the community. This is nothing troll related or anything. The Grand Theft Auto World community has been good to me for the most part, but occasionally I have gripes with certain players on the server. Usually these complaints come from incorrect portrayal of the African American culture in South Central. Whenever I or someone who's a stagnant figure in the African American gang RP scene voices their opinion on how someone isn't doing something right, we're labelled as an "E-Thug". I fail to understand how or even why my constituents are considered "E-Thugs." I don't see how when we are just stating facts and opinions like everyone else. I don't typically see the "e-thug" community going around forums and Discord threatening to hurt someone in RL behind a disagreement.

Several misunderstandings with other players (usually from different countries) have led me to believe than an "E-Thug" is any RPer apart of the Sureno/Black gang scene that typically uses modern day Ebonics when he/she/they type on Discord or forums in general.

Did I hit the nail on the head? What is the true definition of an E-Thug?

Can you explain why this is the term used when nothing "thuggish" is being said, just common slang. I've literally been called an "e-thug" and I haven't made one threat to the player that called me this.

I'm genuinely curious on what this term means.

"e-thug" is normally attributed to sheltered suburban kids who've never and will probably never face anything slightly resembling the character's they play but act like they're all about that life OOC, using gang slang and beefing with sets like they're in said sets OOC IRL.

I don't think it really goes any deeper than that

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, BINGBONGBALONEY said:

"e-thug" is normally attributed to sheltered suburban kids who've never and will probably never face anything slightly resembling the character's they play but act like they're all about that life OOC, using gang slang and beefing with sets like they're in said sets OOC IRL.

I did none of this stuff and still got called a e-thug, man. I'm a good person, I feel bullied and the need to make a report.

3 minutes ago, Dad! said:

I did none of this stuff and still got called a e-thug, man. I'm a good person, I feel bullied and the need to make a report.

i'll get back to you dude, i think i just caught a group of people raw dogging behind the mission row factories again

good luck on the report!

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, BINGBONGBALONEY said:

Basically this yeah. Their most prominent characteristics are those you quoted (never set a foot in any hood, never documented themselves beyond a fox news show designed to make them afraid of black people, and using a lot of gang slang they found in Urban Dictionary not seeing why it would be inappropriate). Usually they also portray themselves as paragons of good heavy RP, in spite of their outlandish portrayal.

As for why the OP was called an E-Thug, it's for the same reason as usual. People got no idea what they're talking about. I saw some characters, deep in some nasty (and pretty good) illegal RP, being called mallrats because they were sighted outside a club. It's usually better to pay it no mind ^^' Save your time. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Dad! said:

Several misunderstandings with other players (usually from different countries) have led me to believe than an "E-Thug" is any RPer apart of the Sureno/Black gang scene that typically uses modern day Ebonics when he/she/they type on Discord or forums in general.

Pretty much this. It's a general form of carrying oneself beyond that. In short, echoing others, "e-thug" is the sort of slur slung at illegal RPers, somewhere in the realm of the legal versions "mallrat" and "robocop". OOC Ebonics coming from people who wouldn't naturally speak in Ebonics IRL are a big part of it, but in general, it also often goes to describe the section of people in the illegal and particularly gang RP community that often come into the forum and try and sound intimidating or beef in reports and Discord servers, typing like they were about to have a fight in a gas station instead of discussing a situation in a game where they play pretend characters for fun.

• Wuhtah locked this topic