Government and corruption

Rhelli

7 minutes ago, Mecovy said:

oh there's plenty of corruption, u just dont see it. I've seen senators doing cocaine ig, contracts going to friends etc. It's more refined these days but if you know where to look, it exists. It's just done really realistically.

That's the goal. Almost like if you're smart about illegal activity it doesn't get caught as easily 😅 Nuance is key.

There's corruption inherently everywhere in each faction. It's just the "cliché" kinds of corruption aren't done anymore, or if they are then its just really rare. I know more niche examples than that going on currently, ultimately though its wherever your RP ends up. If you build a character properly, they'll always have a weakness people would realistically use to get you to do something corrupt. 

Take for instance you RP a senator, now said senator will have some form of personality trait (take for instance being naïve), they could then easily be roped in by promising more than actuality and once they're in they can't exactly bail or their career is done. So that senator can then be made to make changes for one particular group to the detriment of another, or hire certain people based on friendship or covers. That's basic corruption, it has a reason to exist and it isn't exactly causing a detriment to the overarching faction.

Every legal faction gets to set what it's corruption standards are, some are more lenient than others because each needs to be looked at on an individual basis rather than all follow the same set of standards.

Using ULSA as an example - any student is allowed to involve themselves with recreational drugs and things categorized as a misdemeanors without any request of corruption perms, because we acknowledge these are regular occurrences for RL students - obviously if they get caught, there are real IC consequences and they risk getting arrested and/or suspended/expelled. The only time we ask for people to request corruption perms is for felony crimes.

That said, if you wanna be that chemistry teacher or student who grows drugs in the chem lab or become a fraudster or hacker, don't be worried about shooting us a request, because tbh, we're usually pretty okay with most perms so long as sufficient thought and backstory has gone into your character.

I can't speak for all legal factions, but there are plenty of corrupt legal characters - they just don't make it super obvious - though some of us do remember the cocaine new years party back in 2020/2021!

The problem that tends to occur with corruption is that when you're talking about systemic corruption: it´s not really needed in the server. Legal factions get hefty piles of money from LFM to essentially buy everything they'd ever want, from the latest toys and gadgets to having all their salaries essentially assured and no worries about maintaining their livelihood. None of the official legal factions I have been a part of (which have been many over the years) had any issues acquiring or securing anything they needed. There is literally no incentive for big-time corruption other than just to make a character that's corrupt for the sake of it, if you ask me.

While I can't really speak on the SAPA as an example, I think the differences between the LEO factions in who's corrupt and who isn't is currently pretty decently balanced. I think and this is something that even during my time running PD IA back in the day that I stressed was this: 

There is a difference between CORRUPTION and MISCONDUCT. Most people think that all forms of MISCONDUCT is corruption and that is simply not the case at all and there are some people who may generally roleplay a level of incompetency that blends into corruption without intentionally doing so or if they really know their stuff? They're doing it on purpose because they may know what the line is. 

I think in all government factions on the server, misconduct should be allowed without much issue. Everyone has run into misconduct from a government worker in their lifetime. As for corruption itself, ensuring that it's carried out at a realistic is level is all IFM/LFM can do at this point in my opinion. It makes stories more fun when these characters exist but it has to be compelling or else it comes off as cheesy and cliché. 

2 hours ago, Jedai said:

There is a difference between CORRUPTION and MISCONDUCT. Most people think that all forms of MISCONDUCT is corruption and that is simply not the case at all and there are some people who may generally roleplay a level of incompetency that blends into corruption without intentionally doing so or if they really know their stuff? They're doing it on purpose because they may know what the line is. 

I think this is something to stress here, yeah. There's been plenty of misconduct and sheer illiteracy from some government / LEO workers, but those don't require any specific corruption perms. While what they're doing is wildly unethical, it's not in the "helping an OCG sell drugs" or "make some evidence disappear" categories that would require corruption perms.

TL;DR: being a shitty cop requires no perms, being a criminal cop does ^^ 

Read the latest corruption-news!

Reporters discover corrupt purse (and much more) exclusively for LEO's in recent update, hidden in /equipment !

8d2157be30d2595800bcd8b233974bc7.png

11 hours ago, Jedai said:

There is a difference between CORRUPTION and MISCONDUCT.

This throws up a question: While I have serious indicators leading to the believe the above mentioned flaw in game design is misconduct more than bad intention, the result stays the same:

Someone fucked up and should get their shit together. Are factions doing enough here?

It's about culture of failure:

Some people are not willing to improve, and more busy working their narratives how they have already improved (since samp, typically- lol, joke's on you).

This is not limited to gov and leo factions, however. There it just highlights as unlike let's say a mafia, they have the obligation to also serve the public with their respective activities in some way.

I'll not point fingers at others as example, but rather mention my own faction, where we had this very issue:

There was constant misconduct under a former leader, but 0 willingness to work on improvement (both on ic and ooc level).

We had half-assed, but typically failing attempts to cover up things that caused heat, but never (at least until that leadership was removed) serious attempts to fix any sort of issue arising, may it be internally or externally.

Instead, what both faction members and people trying to interact with us back then were met with, was constant denial, often outright dellusion about own actions and their consequences, combined with effort put into the mentioned failing cover-up-attempts.

Under this excuse what had evolved was a constant spiral of misconduct, as one thing leads to another when one tries to fix this misconduct with more misconduct (including active acts of corruption- while not every misconduct is corruption, every act of corruption is certainly also misconduct).

The result is well known to those watching back then (The responsible player ck'd the own character when being confronted with their misconduct once too often, hoping this would fix their misdeeds and a "new" , exactly similar character doing the same shit again, including banging the very same intern, would suddenly have a good rep again).

tl;dr:

FM then was shockingly surprised when leadership finally changed, to find out the former leader also had embezzled what little budget they were trusted with (not enough- irony lol), and stacked some 25 upper-to-high-class vehicles in the faction garage instead of like, idk- do ANYTHING else with the money that might create rp, may it be buying coke, sponsoring events or simply paying the own staff so they don't just quit over not being paid.

Having that said, communication and supervision is needed for factions- storytelling about the own character is nice and well, but we're also trying to create a realistic simulation others playing with us here can enjoy.

Here is where FM comes into play- and I should mention that currently it has improved by far compared to last year (And that's not just my opinion, literally everyone I speak to says so. Communication is key.) Shoutout to storm and the gang for actually trying- it's much appreciated.

Faction leaders not willing or able to communicate and improve their factions' rp performance where it's demanded will doom their faction into stagnation (and possibly institutionalized corruption just for the sake of it, which easily gets cheesy and lame, refering to comment above by @Jedai).

Summa summaru:  misconduct might not be an issue in itself, but not being willing to work on it (may it be ic or ooc matters) is a serious one, specially from public factions (may it be government, LEO or a nominally private tv channel, regardless).

Last but not least:

Make /equipment and /uniform wider available opposed to allege others will just use it falsely.

• Wuhtah locked this topic