Police Helicopter Usage

A great update for the illegal community. A much needed change in order to help promote meaningful roleplay. Proactive 'policing' is difficult to be considered fair on this server as South Central is like four streets. We already have enough saturation of police units in Davis and Rancho. We have the Davis Sheriff's Station which inherently means cops will be present, we have unmarked cars four deep with people with free body armour and rifles which constantly camp the area and immediately jump out and gun down any gang banger with a gun. Helicopters are a strong tool, and restricting it's usage helps to balance this out so illegal roleplayers can actually roleplay in the area without having to resort to just taking everything into an interior. 

We don't need to win every pursuit, we don't need to arrest every criminal there is. Props to LFM

3 minutes ago, getmoney said:

You can fly a heli and operate the camera at the same time, but its against the rules for illegal rpers to shoot while in the drivers seat of a car, even if the car is stationary. The only difference between these is that it's not too uncommon irl for drivers to shoot out of windows, but helicopter pilots never fly without a copilot. YOU are the one picking when its a game 

Are you implying I made that rule? Because fun fact, I didn't. I didn't even know it was a rule. So you can put that finger you're pointing back in your pocket.

EDIT: That came off as extremely passive aggressive and I meant it more playfully. Sorry 😇

Edited by Coach

Probably good for the illegal community, although they go uncaught most of the time already. Not sure what it means for aviation RP in general though ^^' 

Going, IRL, through a full start-up checklist on a real helicopter is already a bit boring, even though you actually check real live things, use real commands, and prepare a real aircraft for a real flight. I still vividly remember the entire page for the Robinson R44 I used for training, and LAPD helicopters are H125s, whose checklists are even longer x)

So I can't even imagine how mind-numbingly idiotic it will be to just be forced to spit the same lines of a long cursed checklist for 5 minutes each time you need to take off lol. We saw how those "mandatory RP lines" worked with trucking - they did not and only created stale copy-pastes while the players just watch YouTube, since it's empty RP that has no purpose other than to waste one's time.

Worst part is, I know some characters who do that stuff (make looooong lists of emotes for 10+ minutes before each takeoff) and yet they fly out like fucking clowns at 200 feet above the streets, which just shows how this whole process is not equal to RP quality 😛 

That said, making sure PD helis can't just stalk you everywhere for basically no reason will be a nice change lol. Having a heli above you orbiting, while you're chatting with a friend about which tacos are the best (cilantro or no cilantro)... it's kind of awkward and it looks REALLY super absurd ^^' Unless cilantro tacos are illegal, in which case I totally agree with the police there o/ 

To actually give some feedback on the proposed rule, I think it's way too wordy and specific.  Like naming specific time limits (2 minutes, no return within 5) and all the exceptions...it will be hell to enforce.  You will probably end up with a flood of reports the moment a helicopter is over a particular location saying "they have been here for three minutes".  Is an admin really going to teleport up and ask what the reasoning is every time?  Who will be timing if 5 minutes has passed before they have returned?  It seems well intentioned but too specific to actually work.  I think you could probably achieve the same effect with just a warning to the PD that this is becoming an issue and to just make sure that air is used more sparingly and does not just aimlessly fly around.  Then keep an eye on things, and if it's still oppressive then actually demand changes to PD ASD, remove people or whatever.  Place the responsibility on a person and boot them if they don't nudge things more in the direction you want.  Wordy rules are not the way 🙂

Just now, Topinambour said:

Going, IRL, through a full start-up checklist on a real helicopter is already a bit boring, even though you actually check real live things, use real commands, and prepare a real aircraft for a real flight.

Not only that, but how many people do a single line of roleplay to... start their car? I get it's a different comparison. But why force that process when it would be equally as ridiculous to force someone to RP "/me puts the key in the ignition, turning it clockwise until the engine starts".

That said, it shouldn't be *run into locker room, /uniform, run to roof, take off* either.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Coach said:

Not only that, but how many people do a single line of roleplay to... start their car? I get it's a different comparison. But why force that process when it would be equally as ridiculous to force someone to RP "/me puts the key in the ignition, turning it clockwise until the engine starts".

That said, it shouldn't be *run into locker room, /uniform, run to roof, take off* either.

There's a lot more power and guidelines involved with operating a helicopter than driving a vehicle. You can't effortlessly follow someone across the entire county in a car. In a helicopter, it's a painless process. The point here is balancing that.

31 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Observation here.

There's a lot of people in this thread who are like "This is great for balance." - Some of these people are the same people who want hyper realism, and are the "wE aRe CaLiFoRnIa" crowd. There is no balance in to this stuff in the real world. So either step off the balance train, or step off the hyper realism train. Because there is no both.

There people only care about balance or realism when it suits them.