Police Helicopter Usage

16 minutes ago, Coach said:

This is really the only section I have an issue with personally. There are many more justifiable reasons than already committed a crime... The whole purpose of law enforcement is to be proactive not reactive. If I see a vehicle driving around four deep in masks and gloved, the way this is written right now tells me I have to fly away or else the whole situation gets voided.

Facial obstruction is a misdemeanour charge, and seeing someone masked and gloved is reasonably suspicious. In keeping with these rules, seeing someone masked and gloves is reason enough to remain in the area.

2 minutes ago, PeopleKind said:

I do like these changes, however I feel they missed out on one important thing, the camera script should be limited to co-pilots only. It's not all that realistic to be flying & using the camera at the same time.

Which we would all agree with if IRL there wouldn't always be a TFO, something that had so little interest that we literally took away the position. There would never be a helicopter in the sky IRL without one.

4 minutes ago, Phased said:

There is a line where having these obscenely powerful things in game, makes the game not fun for those on the other side.   I exclusively play an LEO character at the moment but I have, in the past been a victim of any enjoyment of playing my criminal characters being destroyed because of the actions of people who feel that "it's just IC we've got all this gear irl".  Tailing someone for wearing gloves and driving a car IRL would be absurd in real life because there wouldn't just be three cars on a road there'd be hundreds.  Checking them all would take forever and if a pilot was to notice that they should be buying a lottery ticket.

We don't have the luxury on this server of being able to disappear into the crowd, and we need to avoid certain things to allow people the opportunity to have a chance instead of having 8 cop cars in a row come belting down in convoy because there was a car in the hood circling a block and the driver was wearing gloves.  In real life this would have never been noticed as there would have been actual traffic.  

i was about to comment the same thing this guy's on the money.

the whole meta of cops trailing cars because they're 3/4 deep is kinda absurd, realistically it's not a very suspect thing and generally i've been the victim of some ludicrous traffic stops because a cop had a "hunch" (actual ic message someone typed). obviously on the server there's only so many cars on the road at once and when you do see a car stacked up typically it's on some business, but thinking from a realistic standpoint it shouldn't automatically be treated as "hehe lets fuck with these guys and pull them over first chance we get"

28 minutes ago, Coach said:

Which we would all agree with if IRL there wouldn't always be a TFO, something that had so little interest that we literally took away the position. There would never be a helicopter in the sky IRL without one.

we have the exact opposite, we have a lot of TFO's but not a lot of pilots. Heh.

Edited by PeopleKind
2 minutes ago, mr. baller said:

the whole meta of cops trailing cars because they're 3/4 deep is kinda absurd, realistically it's not a very suspect thing and generally i've been the victim of some ludicrous traffic stops because a cop had a "hunch" (actual ic message someone typed).

I can't speak for others, obviously. But speaking for myself 3/4 deep isn't suspicious enough to trail, I agree. My post from before mentions specifically vehicles who drive around and are masked and/or gloved. Regardless of how many deep the car is, that's suspicious. 

9 minutes ago, Phased said:

...wouldn't just be three cars on a road there'd be hundreds...

...We don't have the luxury on this server of being able to disappear into the crowd...

I think these are two valid points and I'm not sure how to make it fair for both sides, but to put rules in place like this and saying an LEO helicopter unit cannot be proactive but instead must wait for a crime to happen or believe to have happened is not the answer.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, PeopleKind said:

I do like these changes, however I feel they missed out on one important thing, the camera script should be limited to co-pilots only. It's not all that realistic to be flying & using the camera at the same time.

It's not realistic for air units to deploy with just the pilot himself. Period. Why does that happen here? Because it's a game, there's no patrol schedule, you cannot force another person to come with you especially if they are busy irl.

40 minutes ago, Storm said:
  • Air units are expected to fully roleplay out a defined pre-flight checklist prior to take off. This will be standardised by LFM across all relevant factions. These expectations will be distributed to factions a short period after these rules go into effect.
  • Air units shall spend at least five (5) minutes touched down when refuelling.

If a guy took 4 minutes and 55 seconds to fill up his helicopter, is he going to be punished? Why can't we integrate this into a script? Like it takes 3 minutes for the helicopter to start after pressing Y. It takes 5 minutes to fill up the helicopter after typing /refuel. It should be something that's forced, not regulated by admins to increase their workload or for other players to report when they feel like something's off.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Bartolomeo said:

Facial obstruction is a misdemeanour charge, and seeing someone masked and gloved is reasonably suspicious. In keeping with these rules, seeing someone masked and gloves is reason enough to remain in the area.

You're wrong.

510. Facial Obstruction (M)

Any person(s) who obstructs or disguises their face, during the commission of a crime, shall be charged under this statute.

It only applies if they wore that obstruction while committing a crime, however not a crime if you're simply wearing it.

5 minutes ago, Phased said:

There is a line where having these obscenely powerful things in game, makes the game not fun for those on the other side.   I exclusively play an LEO character at the moment but I have, in the past been a victim of any enjoyment of playing my criminal characters being destroyed because of the actions of people who feel that "it's just IC we've got all this gear irl".  Tailing someone for wearing gloves and driving a car IRL would be absurd in real life because there wouldn't just be three cars on a road there'd be hundreds.  Checking them all would take forever and if a pilot was to notice that they should be buying a lottery ticket.

We don't have the luxury on this server of being able to disappear into the crowd, and we need to avoid certain things to allow people the opportunity to have a chance instead of having 8 cop cars in a row come belting down in convoy because there was a car in the hood circling a block and the driver was wearing gloves.  In real life this would have never been noticed as there would have been actual traffic.  

Realistically agree with the fact that there'd be a lot lot lot more vehicles everywhere, and people, meaning you wouldn't find a car full of four people with gloves and masks on nearly as easily. But it goes both ways and the balancing factor is that you can go shoot someone on an "empty" street which would realistically, in an actual city, have dozens and dozens of people to witness said crime. Plus people recording it, as does happen often these days. Or CCTV, traces of hair, easier ways of finding fingerprints, shoe prints, and so on. Realistic to find a car full of people gloved up and masked up from an AIR unit? Chances are slim. But criminals also have the opportunity of mowing down a crowd of people in say Vespucci on Bay City Avenue. And if no cops or nearby pedestrian's witness and call the cops? You get a free pass of killing 4+ people in what's meant to be a big city full of life and people, which comes with recordings, physical evidence left behind, car plates and so on. The 'balancing' issue swings both ways. Not realistic or balanced when a pair of gloves and running into a friends house / apartment completely negates anything LEO's can do. Which leaves LEO's with either having to witness it or catch them shortly after due to a 911 call, or turn in a few casings for it become a cold case because the lack of abilities Detective's have due to server script. LEO's don't have the "luxury" of catching a criminal after a crime has been committed due to game and script limitations just as criminals don't have the luxury of being able to slip off into a crowd.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

It is a video game, not real life. Stop bringing up real life capabilities and aerial components when you don't put in any effort portraying a pilot or managing a rotary wing aircraft. You get in, do a single line of roleplay, a pretyped ATC message and fly off. This contributes nothing and there is no cool portrayal. I won't even touch upon how ridiculous it is to operate the ball camera and fly at the same time.  

If pilots are not putting in the same effort/portrayal with which real life helicopters are regarded, you cannot make the case that you need real life capabilities to persecute virtual (in character, pretend) criminals. This is a video game and fun needs to be had on both sides. Yes, people will drive around masked up and with gloves while commuting to their intended spot for nefarious acts. So what? Are they destined to get executed by police operatives and thereby lose IC assets and a story-continuity they have been developing?

• Upvote 6
  • Applaud 2