Police Helicopter Usage

I know this may not seem like a regular occurrence, but because of the way weapon equipping works on this server is it possible we could add a provision to prevent LEO character's in helicopters from roleplaying seeing a character drawing smaller firearms unless said firearm is aimed, or is on hand for an extended period while moving? It could very easily be someone re-equipping after crashing, or they equipped the firearm in a car and didn't realise it was on hand and thought it would just be on their weapon wheel. 

Just mentioning in the interest of preventing future admin scenes and voids when tactical teams get called because someone saw a machine pistol from 2,000 feet above for a couple of seconds. 

3 minutes ago, Junx said:

Is it really realistic to be zooming in close enough to see that on random vehicles though?

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a sarcastic comment or not. But yes. IRL they can zoom in far enough to see faces, plates.. hell, they even have FLIR which is essentially a IRL cheat code lmao.

These rules are quite good to establish balance and this comes from someone who's primarily role-played a cop for years. The common point of legal RPers will be the slippery slope this has potential to be because we are quite versed in how things get voided with no regard to our characters & how we don't substitute people's needs for NPC cop response but seek to RP seedy characters as well. That being said, the rules make sense because from the criminal perspective of things, it's quite disheartening or just confusing and frustrating to be tracked just for being a lone car somewhere for no real reason. This has potential to be good if administrators enforce it fairly but accurately on a case by case basis.

Here's some concerns.

My concerns rely around those set timers and the inevitability of them being what they are, and the incidents that those may stem (e.g. you showed up back in X area 2 seconds off therefore you broke server rules type of things). The thing about consideration from administrators doesn't seem quite warming because any administrator can judge more or less how they want under Rule 0 and it takes staff reports and time people don't have, want or should invest in stuff alike to get a differing opinion or try to justify themselves.

The timers seem micromanaging because there's no reasonableness of common courtesy extended to those who RP helicopter pilots when you set hard timers such as those. The reason why is because you set an arbitrary time down with disregard to what can happen on an OOC basis, ranging from texture loss, to lag, to simply having to idle on an OOC basis to the point where someone hovers in the air while they do that.

• Applaud 2
3 minutes ago, Red. said:

This has pretty much been what SD's had in policy for a while. Good to see it universal to further deter "let's look in backyards over davis for 30 minutes until CRIME HAPPENS."

I find this funny, considering I've seen SD AIR units specifically mention operating in Davis airspace and solely in Davis airspace. On several occasions, that is.

• Applaud 1
8 minutes ago, Junx said:

Is it really realistic to be zooming in close enough to see that on random vehicles though?

Yes.

I do like these changes, however I feel they missed out on one important thing, the camera script should be limited to co-pilots only. It's not all that realistic to be flying & using the camera at the same time.

12 minutes ago, Coach said:

This is really the only section I have an issue with personally. There are many more justifiable reasons than already committed a crime... The whole purpose of law enforcement is to be proactive not reactive. If I see a vehicle driving around four deep in masks and gloved, the way this is written right now tells me I have to fly away or else the whole situation gets voided.

There is no reasonable expectation of privacy when driving/walking around in the city. It is simply just not an invasion of privacy for a helicopter to surveil things happening on the ground, legal or not. Yes,  I agree turf camping is where the line should be drawn, though I'm not sure the time limit strategy is the way to go. That said, I have no better suggestion so I will see how it works.

Overall, I can get on board with these changes, but the section quoted above needs major revamping in my opinion.

There is a line where having these obscenely powerful things in game, makes the game not fun for those on the other side.   I exclusively play an LEO character at the moment but I have, in the past been a victim of any enjoyment of playing my criminal characters being destroyed because of the actions of people who feel that "it's just IC we've got all this gear irl".  Tailing someone for wearing gloves and driving a car IRL would be absurd in real life because there wouldn't just be three cars on a road there'd be hundreds.  Checking them all would take forever and if a pilot was to notice that they should be buying a lottery ticket.

We don't have the luxury on this server of being able to disappear into the crowd, and we need to avoid certain things to allow people the opportunity to have a chance instead of having 8 cop cars in a row come belting down in convoy because there was a car in the hood circling a block and the driver was wearing gloves.  In real life this would have never been noticed as there would have been actual traffic.  

• Upvote 1