Why does everyone act so hard IC?

LeNova

On 3/12/2022 at 7:47 AM, Paenymion said:

Actually in some circles there is more "wholesome" every day RP.  There used to be (maybe still is) church services out in the county, and a variety of characters attended, even those on the shadier side of things.  But I guess it's not widespread.

That kind of RP sounds fire

Really a lot of people self insert themselves into a text based roleplay game and sometimes you'll see those people act like they're IC gangbanger character OOC on discord which is at the same cringe level as someone posting DM videos and go "Yeah nigga we smoked your pack" "Pick your dead homies up" when in reality people need to realize that once you log off GTA World you're just your regular human self.

What really urks me sometimes is that people fail to realize that gang members, members of organized crime, people that commit crime in general are sometimes your everyday civilians with mixed hobbies and even work part time jobs, even the SHADIEST people live normal lives. I've seen too many people do the stereotypical mob meeting in the back of a open bar too many times and locals from gang related neighborhoods be so quick to be down for a gang they've just met 0.1 seconds ago behind no character development.

Edited by PrinceCane
  • Upvote 3
On 5/6/2022 at 5:55 AM, PrinceCane said:

That kind of RP sounds fire

Really a lot of people self insert themselves into a text based roleplay game and sometimes you'll see those people act like they're IC gangbanger character OOC on discord which is at the same cringe level as someone posting DM videos and go "Yeah nigga we smoked your pack" "Pick your dead homies up" when in reality people need to realize that once you log off GTA World you're just your regular human self.

What really urks me sometimes is that people fail to realize that gang members, members of organized crime, people that commit crime in general are sometimes your everyday civilians with mixed hobbies and even work part time jobs, even the SHADIEST people normal lives. I've seen too many people do the stereotypical mob meeting in the back of a open bar too many times and locals from gang related neighborhoods be so quick to be down for a gang they've just met 0.1 seconds ago behind no character development.

100%  

Edited by Notorious.

I have been playing the game for 2 days now, barely ~10 hours. During my first couple of hours in the game while doing the tutorial, it really bothered me so much to see a police car in every corner that I would look behind when skipping an intersection even in the most unknown street of LS.

Then I would interact with people, read character posts on forum and notice that majority of the people are fitting the stereotype of "an Afghan war veteran suffering PTSD starts new life in Los Santos" and they are not to be messed with. There is just no normal person around. Everyone is either a member of a gang or some sort of a government worker. I hesitated giving someone a ride because I thought he would just rob me. At that point, it made sense there are cops everywhere.

I also disagree with people saying it's because of the city we are living in, LS is like a war zone but in fact if you read the contiunity threads you would see that LS/SA is just another normal part of USA, lore from GTAV didn't pass onto GTA:W therefore, initially, there were no gangs and gang wars so Los Santos is the "effect" here rather than the "cause"(I could be wrong about this part)

But then, it's a game where you are supposed to roleplay a person and it wouldn't be fun to be acting as a normal, ordinary and possibly a boring person. (I tried that for 2 days and got called boring a few times already.) 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, mthn06 said:

I have been playing the game for 2 days now, barely ~10 hours. During my first couple of hours in the game while doing the tutorial, it really bothered me so much to see a police car in every corner that I would look behind when skipping an intersection even in the most unknown street of LS.

Then I would interact with people, read character posts on forum and notice that majority of the people are fitting the stereotype of "an Afghan war veteran suffering PTSD starts new life in Los Santos" and they are not to be messed with. There is just no normal person around. Everyone is either a member of a gang or some sort of a government worker. I hesitated giving someone a ride because I thought he would just rob me. At that point, it made sense there are cops everywhere.

This makes it so difficult to rp a relatively normal person with feelings, people aren't going to give a shit. As an example, my character was recovering from concussion and decided to sit on a bench for a while. This guy on a BMX comes along and starts jumping around on them, being generally obnoxious. Asks him to stop and explains why "I don't give a fuck about your head, if you don't like it go elsewhere." and quickly became even more obnoxious. There wasn't anything wrong with the scene itself, it's more an example of how aggressive someone became over simply being asked to be a bit more considerate. It's that or the usual 'there has to be something wrong with you for wanting to sit alone' and of course you're 'rude' for not wanting to engage with their obvious attempts at provocation. It makes it next to impossible to roleplay someone normal if noone will reciprocate.

• Upvote 3
7 hours ago, mthn06 said:

I also disagree with people saying it's because of the city we are living in, LS is like a war zone but in fact if you read the contiunity threads you would see that LS/SA is just another normal part of USA, lore from GTAV didn't pass onto GTA:W therefore, initially, there were no gangs and gang wars so Los Santos is the "effect" here rather than the "cause"(I could be wrong about this part)

But then, it's a game where you are supposed to roleplay a person and it wouldn't be fun to be acting as a normal, ordinary and possibly a boring person. (I tried that for 2 days and got called boring a few times already.) 

As someone who RPs pretty normal, everyday characters, I feel your pain. I think that if you only just started, you might want to look into some employment, or try aspects of work that focus on sociable, everyday casual RP. ULSA is good for college RP and they always need professors as well as general faculty members. I know the Hospital and most LEOs are also usually looking for staff beyond being a cop or a doctor.

It's hard to make connections for just casual, everyday RP, so while you get acquainted with the server and where different people and groups hang out, legal factions are a good safety net even if you don't want to be a cop or a firefighter, because they offer auxiliary jobs as well that people love to see.

Otherwise, you'll just have to learn to navigate the server + Facebrowser to make connections with like-minded people, sadly. Out in the street it's all just too obnoxious most of the time.

• Upvote 2

I’ve said it a million times

Making every valid kill (any kill that isn’t DM or in violation of other server rules) a character kill would immediately and notably fix a majority of the server’s portrayal problems.

Why? Because now their actions have consequences. Talk tough to the wrong guy and your character is gone. Kill a police officer and you’re getting life in prison/the death penalty. You gonna kill someone? Now you have to think about the fact that their character is gone forever and they might have friends/loved ones who will come after you. 

Now people have a reason to think before they act 

16 minutes ago, NickyW said:

Making every valid kill (any kill that isn’t DM or in violation of other server rules) a character kill would immediately and notably fix a majority of the server’s portrayal problems.

Why? Because now their actions have consequences. Talk tough to the wrong guy and your character is gone. Kill a police officer and you’re getting life in prison/the death penalty. You gonna kill someone? Now you have to think about the fact that their character is gone forever and they might have friends/loved ones who will come after you. 

In a perfect world yes, the reality is if you think things are bad now it would only get worse. People would not hesitate to escalate and kill someone before it is them who are killed - imagine the increase in player reports. I'd be more inclined to limit the amount of namechanges/character creations a person can make in a year (with special permission to go above that limit) so people are stuck with the consequences of their actions and can't just name change and role play the exact same person without consequences.

57 minutes ago, NickyW said:

Permadeath has been discussed a hundred times over and it's just not going to work because you're still going to have those who will do anything to try and provoke a situation where they can end your character. Imagine you loose a character you put months of work into because you won a fist fight against a hoodlum who started provoking you in the first place?

3 hours ago, Moonsong said:

This makes it so difficult to rp a relatively normal person with feelings, people aren't going to give a shit. As an example, my character was recovering from concussion and decided to sit on a bench for a while. This guy on a BMX comes along and starts jumping around on them, being generally obnoxious. Asks him to stop and explains why "I don't give a fuck about your head, if you don't like it go elsewhere." and quickly became even more obnoxious. There wasn't anything wrong with the scene itself, it's more an example of how aggressive someone became over simply being asked to be a bit more considerate. It's that or the usual 'there has to be something wrong with you for wanting to sit alone' and of course you're 'rude' for not wanting to engage with their obvious attempts at provocation. It makes it next to impossible to roleplay someone normal if noone will reciprocate.

Therein lies the problem, imo.

Most people use the excuse of it being a roleplay server to be the most toxic and asshole person they can ever do for no reason whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, there's a ton of those people irl but when you tell them to fuck off or you know  call the cops on them irl, you dont get scouted and CKed/DMed the next day or 7 months later.

The difference is escalation that nobody seems to understand. They can't behave like humans with emotions and nuances. People have adopted the kill or be killed mentality which is sadge times and no, before you people argue it goes for all aspects of RP both illegal and legal.

This is not something the management can fix, it is the playerbase that needs to be fixed.

• Upvote 3