Why does everyone act so hard IC?

LeNova

5 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Had this happen in a roleplay community with a Judge Dredd setting. Criminals, cannies, raiders and the like killed any interest in civilian roleplay and then began complaining (and leaving) when their prey stopped being easy. It all became a huge drama that the admins refused to touch out of fear of "scaring the criminal community away", when ultimately it was the inaction that did the deed.

The criminals had spent so much time hitting only easy marks, they weren't ready for a world where only armed and dangerous criminals would be left. Rules didn't change, and the community eventually emptied out for greener pastures where they could presumably either find more easy victims.

It was a bummer for me, because I spent a lot of time putting together content for the roleplay. Vehicles, guns... A lot of sound and 3d model work gone to waste over some blind hope that maybe driving headlong into a proverbial black hole for the social media upvotes would somehow be beneficial long term.

We actually have it worse here. At least there, civilians could try to run away realistically, meaning the criminals had to actually corner their victims. Here? It's no surprise that we get such wild fluctuations every time the lasso is loosened on crime, what with the rules being entirely one-sided to favor people who have all the power to ruin otherwise good roleplay.

As someone who loves dystopian/cyberpunk genres I would've loved it there. All I want is to RP an old but lovably gruff man in a stinky wifebeater past his prime with a scummy bar for bounty hunters to look for work. Can we just stop pretending GTAW is a representation of real life and just go Blade Runner?

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Koko said:

As someone who loves dystopian/cyberpunk genres I would've loved it there. All I want is to RP an old but lovably gruff man in a stinky wifebeater past his prime with a scummy bar for bounty hunters to look for work. Can we just stop pretending GTAW is a representation of real life and just go Blade Runner?

I've said this server is a dystopia before

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Martyn said:

The tipping point has been reached a while ago, it's just a matter of time before civilians become an extremely rare sight.

mAV7NOY.png

Civilians already are an extremely rare sight. Even civilian characters we have now are not so much "legal" or "civilian" since they really like to mingle with criminals and get dragged into illegal activities all the time. People call those stories of their 'civilian' characters unique, poetic, whatever, but it's really the same thing everyone does.

Talking from my POV. I came back to the server maybe a month ago, I've tried to start up a civilian character, and because I didn't want him to mingle with illegal characters or characters involved with illegals, I had almost zero RP. Roleplayed with two persons, NPC'd the rest, and it got boring really quickly. Though I'm not really into the current illegal scene and all the deathmatch roleplay they have going on, I just went on another LOA.

But anyways I bet some people are even forced to stop playing civilians and go have their new tough guy characters. You can't even go to Vespucci beach anymore which was before one of the main civilian RP locations, because if you go there? You'll get robbed in 5 minutes max.

Sad but true.

7 minutes ago, Zorbe said:

Civilians already are an extremely rare sight. Even civilian characters we have now are not so much "legal" or "civilian" since they really like to mingle with criminals and get dragged into illegal activities all the time. People call those stories of their 'civilian' characters unique, poetic, whatever, but it's really the same thing everyone does.

This is the only way to do things. Most businesses in the game at this point are a front or the hangout of some illegal organization. The streets are mostly populated by small groups of thugs or members of organized crime. A big majority of these players don't know how or simply won't RP the normal aspects of their lives where they're not trying to intimidate or belittle people 24/7. Any character that wants to be out in public around young adult characters (not just in interiors/clubs/events but rather the open world) has to be able to mingle with criminals, and everyone RPing characters 30+ end up in their own bubbles because GTAW lives under the assumption that past 25 you're essentially geriatric.

It's either that or be left as literal prey to be farmed for screenshots and script assets, or to be memed about OOCly for no reason.

Edited by Koko
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Cocaine Capital said:

The issue is everyone thinks they’re a main character when in reality they’re not. 

Your character should be the main character for you, which doesn't mean every main character is John Wick.

Edited by Zorbe
  • Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Koko said:

This is the only way to do things. Most businesses in the game at this point are a front or the hangout of some illegal organization. The streets are mostly populated by small groups of thugs or members of organized crime. A big majority of these players don't know how or simply won't RP the normal aspects of their lives where they're not trying to intimidate or belittle people 24/7. Any character that wants to be out in public around young adult characters (not just in interiors/clubs/events but rather the open world) has to be able to mingle with criminals, and everyone RPing characters 30+ end up in their own bubbles because GTAW lives under the assumption that past 25 you're essentially geriatric.

It's either that or be left as literal prey to be farmed for screenshots and script assets, or to be memed about OOCly for no reason.

Yeah, I agree. Maybe cutting down on the number of illegal factions would help, because right now? There's too many that are very poorly roleplayed, and only a few that are solid.

Just look at how much Motorcycle Clubs are there right now for an example, they're all 1%, and it's not needed at all.
And this is what you see in most of illegal faction threads that should show their roleplay:
kriminal.png

Edited by Zorbe
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, NickyW said:

what does the LEO community have to do with this? i don't think they ruin roleplay at all...

They're typically restricted from actual law enforcement measures that allow them to limit crime and protect the public. They're told not to do something because it's not "realistic" but then they're told that they can't employ certain realistic measures because it's too effective...

Or just measures in general. When the cannies and raiders started coming in over the megacity walls, the street judges were told that they could no longer patrol alone ever, because it gave us too much coverage of the city. Then it escalated - street judges could call in backup only so much. THEN it escalated further - street judges could not send any form of pursuit if the cannies/raiders went even a little bit outside the walls.

Couldn't even shoot them.

That combined with throwaway characters (we literally had the same character with just different color clothes attack the Hall of Justice eight times in a row, different name each time. Worst case, but not far off from what other people tried) and lopsided rules of engagement meant a LOT of the fights were just not fun.

That said, the recurring problem through every community has almost always been the overlooking of one simple, yet silent fact - criminal characters and roleplay are naturally antagonistic, and require greater experience to pull off. Either you have criminals who can roleplay well, or you have bad roleplay, 

This is because criminals can start criming whenever, whereas civilians can't start victiming and police can't start arresting without either VERY good narratives, or an actual crime being carried out.

If a criminal doesn't commit a crime, a civilian can't walk up to a criminal and hold them hostage for an hour with cat photos, nor can a police officer arrest them with photographic evidence of a murder that didn't happen on the third floor of the Archipelago street office complex at exactly 3:52 PM. 

...but a criminal CAN hold a.civilian hostage for an hour whenever, and they CAN kill a police officer if they fear a recent crime might be detected when pulled over by a cop.

Criminal roleplayers have a not insignificant amount of control they can hold over others. They are an antagonistic force that can be excellent for keeping a community and criminal participants alive and entertained when handled expertly. They are able to choose whenever and wherever, whereas any random cop can't suddenly decide you committed murder if you didn't actually do it and any random civilian can't force you to tay and listen to them talk about cat photos. 

Sadly, most criminals these days play to win, me included. If my criminal character gets put in prison or CK'd, I just name-change and get back to it on a carbon copy to keep the fires going.

13 minutes ago, Koko said:

I keep saying, we need to drop these pretenses of shitty halfway realism and go all in. Guns whenever, shoot it's whenever, police raids whenever. Let's go full on night city and enjoy the appeal of living a dystopic action film. 

6 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

I keep saying, we need to drop these pretenses of shitty halfway realism and go all in. Guns whenever, shoot it's whenever, police raids whenever. Let's go full on night city and enjoy the appeal of living a dystopic action film. 

You do know CoD:Warzone is free to play, right?

Edited by Zorbe
Just now, Zorbe said:

You know CoD:Warzone is free to play, right?

That's what I keep telling a lot of the criminals that escalate straight to shooting after getting pulled over for wiping out three civvies near a park bench, but then they just say "yOu sHoUlD tRy sEcOnDlIfe."

Like, bro, I just want to roleplay, but every three minutes it's someone running up to get their fix of violence and now I have to spend an hour being their punching bag because of I don't I'll get zapped by gods we're not allowed to acknowledge as being responsible for our unrealistic dismissal of common sense reactions.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, NickyW said:

"it's never going to happen, keep dreaming"

funny. that's exactly my thought when people say "i wish characters would stop being unrealistically aggressive" but refuse to take action to curtail it.

> and then they namechange and start over, harassing someone else on a copy pasta character

this goofy af statement always pops up every time someone suggests more CK's, and it's the biggest strawman on the planet. everyone's scared of this boogeyman who gives zero shit about his characters and CK's at a whim just so he can keep terrorizing the good RP'ers, but I've never seen it happen in the 10+ years I've been doing GTA RP. It's an excuse. Just admit you're overly attached to your character and would rather have the character you want than have good RP, even if it means sacrificing your precious self inserts.

So just because I roleplay a character that doesn't get into shootouts constantly and doesn't go around provoking people means I'm goofy, don't have good RP and am overly attached to my character? This makes absolutely no sense. Just go and spend 5 minutes reading the report player section and you'll see all the evidence you need to prove the server is rife with exactly the issues I stated. Let's just drop the passive aggressive attitude, needless personal attacks and act like adults?

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1