Why does everyone act so hard IC?

LeNova

On 3/24/2022 at 2:40 AM, Jedai said:

I think a lot of my east coasters can understand me when I say, there are a lot of people in the city who are just "hard/tough" by default whether it's just the identity of the city itself or something else to make the geographical populace be that way. However in real life, most people have a breaking point on how tough they really are. Some people reach that breaking point a lot quicker than others but with roleplay servers, everyone wants to be THAT guy who's tough no matter what and has zero breaking point whatsoever. 

Then of course there's the OOC part of it all where people will absolutely clown you in groups for things that should just be IC which for some people will genuinely affect their behavior going forward. 

Either way, people need to be okay with not always being the tough guy. I'd respect someone way more for roleplaying a fake tough character who crumbles under the pressure of animosity than someone who's just never afraid of anything. 

The OOC looks are a huge part of it, and a huge thing that can ruin RP groups period. With Discord, the ease of recording and uploading screenshots, nobody wants to look stupid OOC'ly. Fact of the matter is, nearly every involved RP scenario ends with a host of screenshots in twenty different servers. Nobody wants to get clowned on, but seems like half of GTAW is actually just discord shitposting at this point.

People use overly tough characters to try and look grimey on forums in their screenshots or to convey their OOC anger. Most people that make characters like this usually get angry OOC when something does not go their way because they feel emasculated for some reason. After their character gets embarrassed they feel the need to hate the player(s) who humanized/humbled their character. The people who make these characters and accept the losses that come with portraying their character like this are usually more likeable OOC because they know consequence is something real that is just apart of the game of being an aggressive character.

Bro.

Can you imagine someone regular and sane walking around streets of this city for three hours without getting robbed?

RP circumstances literally force you to be tough as a character because you have to RP. It's an endless cycle of violence fueled by OOC hatred and self-disgust.

Gotta be a tough cookie.

20 minutes ago, Van said:

Bro.

Can you imagine someone regular and sane walking around streets of this city for three hours without getting robbed?

RP circumstances literally force you to be tough as a character because you have to RP. It's an endless cycle of violence fueled by OOC hatred and self-disgust.

Gotta be a tough cookie.

Edited by Illusory
  • Applaud 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/13/2022 at 12:38 AM, Ronnie two poles said:

doesn't really feel like it anymore, huh. 

same ol cringe e-rp, same ol mediocre illegal rp portrayed by people who don't have a clue how usa poverty is/culture is.

same ol robo cops, and same ol staff team using that same ol broken discretion and always breathing down ur spine. 

On 3/13/2022 at 12:36 AM, Ronnie two poles said:

They do it because that's what they aspire to be IRL. Weird isn't it? Americans from the suburbs do it too, same with foreigners.

They're born into a better lifestyle, see a culture/lifestyle that isn't for them and think it's cool to portray something IRL they will never be. 

It's not cool to be hard, especially if you did not grow up around that lifestyle OOC. 

It's cringe. People laugh at you. 

Keep your character hard, but not too unrealistic. 

Quit letting your character's emotions be your emotions. Vice-versa. 

👏

I feel like the OG post is missing something.

Realistically speaking, Los Santos is probably one of the worst places one could ever decide to move to.

People are reacting to their environment.

When you see someone's life end horribly, followed by the same people fighting over whatever belonging that corpse once had to its name, I doubt you'd ask yourself why people are acting so tough. 

Or when you see perfectly regular people turn into sociopathic maniacs whenever money is involved, that's when you know something isn't right. 

This isn't me shitting on any kind of RP, or any player, or saying that it's the case everywhere for every player, it's an example of a few observations. 

You're roleplaying in what we call a dystopia, gamer.