Why does everyone act so hard IC?

LeNova

26 minutes ago, Arielle said:

People play a role and forget the human behind it.

I wouldn't even say it's a self-insert problem because these people don't do that. If they inserted some personality into their character they might actually be interesting!

But instead we get a stonewall mobster without emotions or values, a cop who's only online to be on duty and vent about cop life, a 12 yr old gang member hitting on adults and acting like he's a hardened 30 yr old criminal.

In short pop culture archetypes. Stencil designed characters, without personal touch, least that's how I see it.

Edited by Engelbert
33 minutes ago, KingstonThaIII said:

Honestly it's because many players want to be the intimidating, top dog kind of guy that no ones dares to fuck with. They're the ones that beat up random people just for going near them and always expect their victims to lie down and just take it without retaliation.

Which in turn makes victims become violent over time, more cautious, more aggressive when they do retaliate.

But how far can this go without having either of the parties punished OOC'ly for reacting as such to their environment?

We're RPing in a world where car theft, robbing, mugging, killings are absolutely (relative to most of us) rampant and present everywhere we go no matter what. We can't fly out of it, because naturally that means leaving the server essentially. All we can do is act like cornered dogs whenever something remotely threatening happens and lash out as hard as we can because that's what we've learned to do. It's basically a big vicious cycle.

If you were living in a world like this and someone tells you a death threat for example, wouldn't you be a little on edge? Do you let it simmer and risk to find 3 people at your doorstep when you least expect it, or act upon that death threat and.. Well, beat the crap out of them/kill them for even thinking about threatening you this way, in this world where death matters very little?

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do nor is it excusing unnecessary violence and all, and hell I don't do it, but yeah I don't blame people for escalating things a little too fast if they base their IC reactions on previous bad IC experiences.

5 hours ago, TommyX said:

It's a roleplay game, so.... lol. Why would someone roleplay a weak and depressed person?

i mean 90% of all the lesbian chars are depressed. they not weak tho, they'll hunt u down with their pf guns like the ccw warriors they are. murdering without any remorse but end up cking themselves if their ic gf breaks up w them.

9 minutes ago, kartoffel said:

i mean 90% of all the lesbian chars are depressed. they not weak tho, they'll hunt u down with their pf guns like the ccw warriors they are. murdering without any remorse but end up cking themselves if their ic gf breaks up w them.

The "hunt you down with their pf guns" type that goes after you for insulting them?

2 minutes ago, KingstonThaIII said:

The "hunt you down with their pf guns" type that goes after you for insulting them?

ye chasing u down on a bati n then forum report u if u drop them. the same ones who have no fear if u aim a gun at em, trying to disarm u using some detroit urban survival training techniques and ending every /me with an exclamation mark. they're not scared of guns cause they killed 20 enemies single handed in afghanistan cause they've been distracted by their hourglass shaped goddess like appearance described in their /attributes

8 minutes ago, kartoffel said:

ye chasing u down on a bati n then forum report u if u drop them. the same ones who have no fear if u aim a gun at em, trying to disarm u using some detroit urban survival training techniques and ending every /me with an exclamation mark. they're not scared of guns cause they killed 20 enemies single handed in afghanistan cause they've been distracted by their hourglass shaped goddess like appearance described in their /attributes

Sounds like rent-a-badass.  

I think a lot of my east coasters can understand me when I say, there are a lot of people in the city who are just "hard/tough" by default whether it's just the identity of the city itself or something else to make the geographical populace be that way. However in real life, most people have a breaking point on how tough they really are. Some people reach that breaking point a lot quicker than others but with roleplay servers, everyone wants to be THAT guy who's tough no matter what and has zero breaking point whatsoever. 

Then of course there's the OOC part of it all where people will absolutely clown you in groups for things that should just be IC which for some people will genuinely affect their behavior going forward. 

Either way, people need to be okay with not always being the tough guy. I'd respect someone way more for roleplaying a fake tough character who crumbles under the pressure of animosity than someone who's just never afraid of anything.  

• Upvote 3