Why does everyone act so hard IC?

LeNova

3 hours ago, Late said:

People RP cops because they're not cops IRL.

People RP medics because they're not medics IRL.

People RP Syrian Taxi drivers because they're not Syrian Taxi Drivers IRL.

Do people RP being very hard because... in IRL they're very weak?

I believe nobody here wants to lose or he'd be that guy in the video getting shared everywhere oocly and get told how shit he is for ending up like that, therefore everyone tries to avoid that and do what they can to prevent that.

At this point, I would even go as far to say that you're straight up powergaming if your character is not hard as fuck. Have you been in the city? The amount of cops that die on the daily, the amount of shoot outs and violent crime alone would scare any sane person off. And what you're left with are hard ass people who have seen it all and can defend themselves when it comes to it. This is the environment we've all shaped for ourselves, deal with it by making a character that is EVEN harder than the one you encountered. That seems to be the go-to plan for most people anyway. Or be prepared to roleplay exclusively indoors with a specific set of people that you likely already know OOCly.

Edited by Martyn
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Martyn said:

At this point, I would even go as far to say that you're straight up powergaming if your character is not hard as fuck. Have you been in the city? The amount of cops that die on the daily, the amount of shoot outs and violent crime alone would scare any sane person off. And what you're left with are hard ass people who have seen it all and can defend themselves when it comes to it. This is the environment we've all shaped for ourselves, deal with it by making a character that is EVEN harder than the one you encountered. That seems to be the go-to plan for most people anyway.

Back in later 2019 early 2020 it was not like that, this shift began mid to late 2020 and throughout the entirety of 2021 and now we have rules in place to reduce it as much in 2022. People who were involved in the aggressive shootouts and crime caused the shift of the type of characters being created to have stone cold emotionless characters.

1 minute ago, Martyn said:

At this point, I would even go as far to say that you're straight up powergaming if your character is not hard as fuck. Have you been in the city? The amount of cops that die on the daily, the amount of shoot outs and violent crime alone would scare any sane person off. And what you're left with are hard ass people who have seen it all and can defend themselves when it comes to it. This is the environment we've all shaped for ourselves, deal with it by making a character that is EVEN harder than the one you encountered. That seems to be the go-to plan for most people anyway.

Bro a city like this would have hard time irl to even exist normally, which is why I ignore most of it. Because if I didn't I cannot possibly roleplay my character living in the city.

The situation there is outright ridiculous. Which is why I don't even react anyhow, when driving past xth dead body on the ground or whatever. I do it simply because in toxic river or lake there are no healthy fish.

1 hour ago, Anders said:

Funny story, i was bitched at oocly for acting what I was supposed to do icly and later removed because of it oocly in a faction.

Exactly. All of the try-harders and elitists complain about people not failing or having weaknesses, but whenever someone does? They're marginalized, mocked, or just taken advantage of (ICly and OOCly as well).

4 hours ago, eTaylor said:

I mean, just because someone acts hard doesn’t mean they are hard. Just because someone doesn’t cry in public about all the stuff they’ve experienced doesn’t mean they don’t suffer from it. You could look at any person and judge their character at face value, but you’ll never have the full picture. You have people around you in real life who have deep complex issues you’ll never fully comprehend. You can just apply that to the game as well. 

Important stuff here yeah. Like you said not everyone RPs it, but sometimes you have a nice surprise ^^ 

So far, I saw... A hardcore gangbanger, closeted gay, who was twice as violent as his homies, out of fear that showing any pity would make them "suspicious" and get him killed since they were homophobic as fuck. A girl who flirted all the time, everyone thought IC'ly (and OOC'ly) that she had fucked half the server, in reality she had fucked nobody and was just having severe self-esteem problems hidden behind a mask of what she perceived was "cool". A hitman who was often asked to "get rid of problems", but whose brain got so scrambled by the violence he had many episodes of PTSD where he didn't even know where he was. An ex-cop who started investigating the death of a friend of hers, all to be thrown on a crazy slide of horror, making her break bad to the point of first degree murder, until she lost all touch with reality (and friends). 

There's a fair few more like those and it's always interesting to see the "more hidden" side of those characters. But most people don't dig, and think what they see is what they get, taking it at face value ^^' 

That said, in their defense...

1 hour ago, Mahitto said:

Exactly. All of the try-harders and elitists complain about people not failing or having weaknesses, but whenever someone does? They're marginalized, mocked, or just taken advantage of (ICly and OOCly as well).

... those more nuanced characters are more or a rarity, yeah. And the few people who portray that stuff in-depth, with top-tier character development, end up being penalized OOC'ly. Weirdly enough, I've seen a fair few of those being told their RP is "not realistic" lol, even though it's by far better thought out than most of the stuff we see out there :x 

6 hours ago, Late said:

People RP cops because they're not cops IRL.

People RP medics because they're not medics IRL.

People RP Syrian Taxi drivers because they're not Syrian Taxi Drivers IRL.

Do people RP being very hard because... in IRL they're very weak?

Yes, this. I don't want to be a stuttering epileptic in RP, more fun to be one IRL

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

Important stuff here yeah. Like you said not everyone RPs it, but sometimes you have a nice surprise ^^ 

So far, I saw... A hardcore gangbanger, closeted gay, who was twice as violent as his homies, out of fear that showing any pity would make them "suspicious" and get him killed since they were homophobic as fuck. A girl who flirted all the time, everyone thought IC'ly (and OOC'ly) that she had fucked half the server, in reality she had fucked nobody and was just having severe self-esteem problems hidden behind a mask of what she perceived was "cool". A hitman who was often asked to "get rid of problems", but whose brain got so scrambled by the violence he had many episodes of PTSD where he didn't even know where he was. An ex-cop who started investigating the death of a friend of hers, all to be thrown on a crazy slide of horror, making her break bad to the point of first degree murder, until she lost all touch with reality (and friends). 

There's a fair few more like those and it's always interesting to see the "more hidden" side of those characters. But most people don't dig, and think what they see is what they get, taking it at face value ^^' 

That said, in their defense...

... those more nuanced characters are more or a rarity, yeah. And the few people who portray that stuff in-depth, with top-tier character development, end up being penalized OOC'ly. Weirdly enough, I've seen a fair few of those being told their RP is "not realistic" lol, even though it's by far better thought out than most of the stuff we see out there :x 

You know being ridiculed IC is just part of it. Because truly, gangbangers are expected to be tough, it's why gangs have initiation rituals. It's natural, their lives are usually that short, that there is no place  for regret or a single tear, because they die before they have a chance to realize what they are doing. Being ridiculed OOC is however something else, you'd expect, that from CSGO community or CoD one where it is common, but not among roleplayers. I personally see the in-depth part of portrayal as one's signature, cause that's precisely what's setting one's character apart making it unique. Their traits, weaknesses, personal demons, whatever. Otherwise you'd only get cop number 237, teen gangster 102 etc etc. At that point I believe your character don't even a name. But add something of yours, something personal to give your character something distinctive. But before people start to argue, no adding a personality disorder and excusing excessive violence  by mental illness, no that's not a personal touch or anything like that. Say your character hates fish and chips for example cause once they had bad stomach from it etc etc.  Many characters are like this and I can say that, cause I seen many hardass gangsters break down or act like a human does IC. They are tough, cause they have to be. But many of them put their life on the line, for their friends and family. Just read some reports about gangsters opening fire on cops, because they thought their leader is gonna get arrested. They are not dumb, they know what's gonna happen and they rather choose this, than seeing their leader going down. Yes it is exaggerated a bit, but that's cause this is a game and not real life. Then you have standard civilian characters, they vary as much as LEO and criminals do, you get bad apples everywhere. I saw some good and nice characters being branded as trolls cause of their IC antics, but that was wrong, cause what they were doing was roleplayed. You dance on a car and people assume you are troll, when many people did similar things irl when they were drunk, high or just wanted some fun. 

Also I love the part about the overly flirtatious character, reminds me of my own character 🙂

Edited by Engelbert
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

You know being ridiculed IC is just part of it. Because truly, gangbangers are expected to be tough, it's why gangs have initiation rituals. It's natural, their lives are usually that short, that there is no place  for regret or a single tear, because they die before they have a chance to realize what they are doing. Being ridiculed OOC is however something else, you'd expect, that from CSGO community or CoD one where it is common, but not among roleplayers. I personally see the in-depth part of portrayal as one's signature, cause that's precisely what's setting one's character apart making it unique. Their traits, weaknesses, personal demons, whatever. Otherwise you'd only get cop number 237, teen gangster 102 etc etc. At that point I believe your character don't even a name. But add something of yours, something personal to give your character something distinctive. But before people start to argue, no adding a personality disorder and excusing excessive violence  by mental illness, no that's not a personal touch or anything like that. Say your character hates fish and chips for example cause once they had bad stomach from it etc etc.  Many characters are like this and I can say that, cause I seen many hardass gangsters break down or act like a human does IC. They are tough, cause they have to be. But many of them put their life on the line, for their friends and family. Just read some reports about gangsters opening fire on cops, because they thought their leader is gonna get arrested. They are not dumb, they know what's gonna happen and they rather choose this, than seeing their leader going down. Yes it is exaggerated a bit, but that's cause this is a game and not real life.

Then you have standard civilian characters, they vary as much as LEO and criminals do, you get bad apples everywhere. I saw some good and nice characters being branded as trolls cause of their IC antics, but that was wrong, cause what they were doing was roleplayed. You dance on a car and people assume you are troll, when many people did similar things irl when they were drunk, high or just wanted some fun. 

Yes, because most gang role-players are either kids OOCly or are just looking for reasons to troll/get into shootouts, fights and pursuits. That's why almost literally every other forum report is related to gangs (despite there being so many other factions), they all start with "we were beefin" and end with "they've been banned for unrelated reasons". When that's the kind of people you deal with, it's hard to even tell the good ones apart and to admire their actual character development. It's a problem, a big one. And it happens for other types of role-play too, not just gangs. I personally have a hard time taking each character as a unique, complex entity that's well though-out and being given attention to after way too many instances of doing it only to then see the person poof from the world for breaking rules, the character being unrealistic as hell, trolling and such. Hard to look at a character properly when there's a huge chance it's not actually what it looks like.

And on the other hand you have the OOC stigma of not acting super tough and hard, of portraying flaws. In most cases, portraying a flawed character will bring more or less serious OOC consequences, which makes people portray perfect whatevers with barely any (significant) flaws. By flaws I don't mean "doesn't like fish" or "smokes", but more serious, more hardcore realistic stuff that has actual repercussions. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applaud 2
2 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

Yes, because most gang role-players are either kids OOCly or are just looking for reasons to troll/get into shootouts, fights and pursuits. That's why almost literally every other forum report is related to gangs (despite there being so many other factions), they all start with "we were beefin" and end with "they've been banned for unrelated reasons". When that's the kind of people you deal with, it's hard to even tell the good ones apart and to admire their actual character development. It's a problem, a big one.

This exact reason why the Rule of Engagement, Robbery & Scamming rules were reworked completely to combat this exact issue. With all honesty, one more step would be to be a bit more heavy handed by admins when your sole purpose on the server is DM/Cops&Robbers, not to mention ban non-approved clothing mods, because half of those look ridiculous with missing body parts and checker-marks.