Why does everyone act so hard IC?

LeNova

My character is a hothead.

He has warrants (I know because I killed a bunch of guys yesterday).

I killed those guys because they robbed my friend the other day.

Typically most characters will jump the shark very early, whether forced by circumstances or players simply seeking to escalate interactions into violence because this roleplay server is based on a violent video game, and from there on they're 'broken' and not really capable of retaining humanity as it's already gone. At least, that's my IC justification, the more common reason I italicized.

I mean, just because someone acts hard doesn’t mean they are hard. Just because someone doesn’t cry in public about all the stuff they’ve experienced doesn’t mean they don’t suffer from it. You could look at any person and judge their character at face value, but you’ll never have the full picture. You have people around you in real life who have deep complex issues you’ll never fully comprehend. You can just apply that to the game as well. 

Does everyone roleplay that complexity? Hell no, but you can imply it for them. Why occupy yourself with what another person does or doesn’t roleplay? Especially when we’re talking about ambiance and subsurface stuff. You’ll literally just ruin the game for yourself. Save the energy for people who do have that fleshed out and give you a hook to explore. Take most motorcycle gangs, a lot of them act super hard but behind all that armor you’ll find a lot of layers. That really applies to a lot of factions. If that’s what you’re looking for, find the groups that offer that. But don’t expect people to pull up to you and offer you deep psychological exposition right off the bat. 

• Upvote 5

Many people on this server can't really take a loss, even in the smallest sense. This results in them making characters that are constructed to be as successful as possible in their given genre: Many CEO/Lawyer characters act like they have genius IQ's. Many cops have unshakable senses of justice. Many criminals fail to roleplay their conscience.

With that said, you'll find many criminal characters who seem to be "badass" killing machines but are simply fronting that facade because that's the environment they're surrounded by. In some IC factions/roleplay environments, "weakness" will always be looked down upon, and as such, certain characters go to great lengths to hide their weakness for the purposes of IC conformity. These are the types of characters who commit violence with a hard exterior, but when everyone's back is turned they throw up in a dumpster because of the adrenaline dump that follows.

Yes, there are some bad roleplayers who fail to display any sense of emotion that doesn't fit their cookie-cutter character archetype, but amongst them are layered and interesting characters who you have to become familiar with before you can spot their weaknesses. As cliche as it sounds, try not to judge a book by its cover.

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

I mean, just because someone acts hard doesn’t mean they are hard. Just because someone doesn’t cry in public about all the stuff they’ve experienced doesn’t mean they don’t suffer from it. You could look at any person and judge their character at face value, but you’ll never have the full picture. You have people around you in real life who have deep complex issues you’ll never fully comprehend. You can just apply that to the game as well. 

Does everyone roleplay that complexity? Hell no, but you can imply it for them. Why occupy yourself with what another person does or doesn’t roleplay? Especially when we’re talking about ambiance and subsurface stuff. You’ll literally just ruin the game for yourself. Save the energy for people who do have that fleshed out and give you a hook to explore. Take most motorcycle gangs, a lot of them act super hard but behind all that armor you’ll find a lot of layers. That really applies to a lot of factions. If that’s what you’re looking for, find the groups that offer that. But don’t expect people to pull up to you and offer you deep psychological exposition right off the bat. 

Except that on GTA World, unlike real life, barely anyone acts like a human being. Everyone has an extremely fucked up and traumatic past and is able to whitstand any and every thing life throws at them. From seeing a bleeding, cut-up corpse in the middle of the street to being pointed a gun at and killing innocents in cold blood. It's almost impossible to make out anyone for a realistic human being. More often than not, it feels like you're interacting with an NPC/robot - with the exceptions that NPCs are often times sketched out to look somewhat realistic.

It's hard to look at all characters you interact with as complex, long-standing, thought through. Sure, some are, but they're majorly shadowned by the vast majority who don't. I sometimes find myself looking at other players, thinking how cool it is that everyone has their own friends, connections and complex development behind them. But then I realize how many people are just rulebreakers, how many characters are just trolls or mallrats, how many of them don't have any history besides "log in, shoot opps" or "log in, pursuit shootout arrest i'm a cop".

The vast majority are just hollow excuses and that, for me, makes it very hard to look at the few proper characters in the light they deserve.

25 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

In some IC factions/roleplay environments, "weakness" will always be looked down upon, and as such, certain characters go to great lengths to hide their weakness for the purposes of IC conformity. These are the types of characters who commit violence with a hard exterior, but when everyone's back is turned they throw up in a dumpster because of the adrenaline dump that follows.

That's something I found very problematic in my time role-playing a cop. Despite the faction promoting "realistic" characters and mistakes, portraying them often got your character to be publicly chewed out, humiliated, then investigated, punished, or even straight up discharged. Not having the "proper" reaction was encouraged, but then people suffered from it. Corruption was one aspect of this, but it happened in all areas.

Clear-cut example - a guy panicked on his FTP during a shooting and had someone get shot - on purpose, he could've easily headshotted the guy if he wanted to. As a result, he was mocked and put behind, later resigned due to having a stained record and the nagging. Another example was someone who got heated on-duty after seeing domestic abuse and exchanged words, similar story. Another character was heavily affected by an incident and began drinking, guy got kicked out of the faction (ICly, but OOCly too). All in all, this is all realistic. Better, more believable characters. They could've easily played robocops and they'd be high ranks by now, but they didn't. And they were punished for it, indirectly.

And yeah, it's realistic and it's fun to go through stuff like this every now and then, but it's absolutely pathetic to do it every single time you log in. Hence people just resort to never making any mistakes and portraying perfect robots - nothing to complain about.

Everyone wants to see this kind of weak, imperfect RP so they can make fun of it or abuse it.

Edited by Mahitto

Because it’s easier to RP hard and emotionless than it is to RP emotions.

Don’t forget GTA:W is set in a city in which no sane person would live since it’s practically a warzone with a crime rate that would have martial law declared permanently, so there has to be some sort of compromise to RP’ing emotions when your character comes across the millionth dead teenager of the day.

Edited by LennyVL
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, LeNova said:

Something that really bothers me and makes me wonder why half or even more of the roleplayers do it?
Everybody thinks they have to go all hard all the time and don't do normal things anymore like go out to lunch with their moms, gangbangers going to church. Having friends that are not hardcore criminals and sharing some hobbies with them? You can't cry, you can't drop down after getting a good beating or half of the chars will frown up at you which makes me wonder do people actually think criminals in real life are not human anymore?

It's just that people focus a lot more on how badass they want their characters to look than how realistic things should be.
It just feels unfair too when you're rping shit and the other side is like "Well I am a tough motherfucker so you are just a bitch"
You don't see any hesitation in them, no regrets of their actions. People just do the wildest shit and go on with their lives as if it's a daily thing.

Like I I get guys that the chars are in a crime group but GOD crime groups are still made up of people who live their lives.
It does seem like people are detached from reality and are running on the mindset that criminals aren't human and don't express human emotions. Kind of a dangerous mindset to have. Not every criminal is going to be a cold sociopathic killer nor are they retired "Special Forces" to say.

What is your opinion on this?

god you're not american you dont know american gangbangers or how the irl crime scene is in america, they're all hard core badasses and they waste no tear in executing 50 people in one night and still act like nothing happened. /s

People care more about their ooc status than ic status, they dont want to be "seen" as weak.

22 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

That's something I found very problematic in my time role-playing a cop. Despite the faction promoting "realistic" characters and mistakes, portraying them often got your character to be publicly chewed out, humiliated, then investigated, punished, or even straight up discharged. Not having the "proper" reaction was encouraged, but then people suffered from it. Corruption was one aspect of this, but it happened in all areas.

Clear-cut example - a guy panicked on his FTP during a shooting and had someone get shot - on purpose, he could've easily headshotted the guy if he wanted to. As a result, he was mocked and put behind, later resigned due to having a stained record and the nagging. Another example was someone who got heated on-duty after seeing domestic abuse and exchanged words, similar story. Another character was heavily affected by an incident and began drinking, guy got kicked out of the faction (ICly, but OOCly too). All in all, this is all realistic. Better, more believable characters. They could've easily played robocops and they'd be high ranks by now, but they didn't. And they were punished for it, indirectly.

And yeah, it's realistic and it's fun to go through stuff like this every now and then, but it's absolutely pathetic to do it every single time you log in. Hence people just resort to never making any mistakes and portraying perfect robots - nothing to complain about.

Everyone wants to see this kind of weak, imperfect RP so they can make fun of it or abuse it.

Funny story, i was bitched at oocly for acting what I was supposed to do icly and later removed because of it oocly in a faction.

35 minutes ago, Anders said:

Funny story, i was bitched at oocly for acting what I was supposed to do icly and later removed because of it oocly in a faction.

How dare you show any emotion other than NO EMOTION. We do not RP emotional damage here. We are all terminators. Get with the program. You obviously didn't get the memo. Is your email correct in the company directory?