The Business Ideas Thread

Blöp

12 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

I'm not saying that doesn't happen, I'm saying that only 1%-2% of people do stuff like that. That's why it is so memorable, because it's rare. You encounter it once every two-three months, in general. I've done it, I've seen it done, I loved it.

But we need to find a way to rope in the other overwhelming majority who doesn't do this kinda stuff. Because let's be real, how many people do?

I'm not sure that this is something that you can rope people into doing. The people who have an interest for this sort of slice of life, personality-driven RP are already doing it. It's just a style that develops naturally. It also happens to be the style that leads to being part of some of the more beloved businesses on the server. The only way to get into it is by getting involved with businesses that you like and taking pointers about how these people manage interactions. Find a good employer whose RP you respect and just play.

32 minutes ago, Koko said:

All concepts work, but they have to be a megaphone for your RP, and not be the RP itself.

This here is basically what should be remember from this thread lol.

Generally speaking, what Koko said just above + don't make the business your entire RP. Otherwise it will DEFINITELY be boring. However, if it's just a few hours a week, it can be a nice change of pace. If it's boring and there's nobody? Whatever, everyone's got some Youtube backlog. And it's not like it's every single day. If it's not boring and there's more people? Cool, can bring a few cool interactions. 

But making a single business your only and entire source of RP (just like a faction actually) is clearly a recipe for disaster though 😕 Part of why I always try to give people the numbers of other characters, other businesses, etc. to help them diversify their RP. Otherwise it gets very stale :x 

RPing jobs can be tricky, since working is usually boring. One exception could be the entertainment business, people rping actors, models, singers. There has always been some record labels around, Prestige has been around for a while and there have been some movie making RP here and there. Thing is, in order to create such rp you need to invest a lot of time in menyoo, for example to create good quality images or a video. 

Business idea: Vinewood movie industry

How it works: First you lease a Studio at Backlot and map it. You recruit actors and host auditions for them, you also hire cameramen to RP. You start RPing shooting scenes in the studio, or outside. Now comes the tricky part, when all the scenes are RPed you need to make a 10/15 minute video using menyoo. Then you paste the dialogue using any video editor. Finally you have a premier at The Doppler or sell copies as streaming. 

The benefits it might bring on the server: Ideally there would be different people running studios, writing scripts and making menyoo movies. People RPing actors would go to auditions then get hired and eventually get IC recognition. This is supposed to be LA after all.

• Upvote 1
On 3/18/2022 at 4:55 PM, Lurleen said:

How it works: First you lease a Studio at Backlot and map it. You recruit actors and host auditions for them, you also hire cameramen to RP. You start RPing shooting scenes in the studio, or outside. Now comes the tricky part, when all the scenes are RPed you need to make a 10/15 minute video using menyoo. Then you paste the dialogue using any video editor. Finally you have a premier at The Doppler or sell copies as streaming. 

The benefits it might bring on the server: Ideally there would be different people running studios, writing scripts and making menyoo movies. People RPing actors would go to auditions then get hired and eventually get IC recognition. This is supposed to be LA after all.

I would love to have the RP of Vinewood and the Hollywood star angle, this has been attempted but it's just way too much work for one person. Ultimately, all the RP would culminate in a production that has to be made by one single player on Menyoo, and it's very hard to RP things like dialogue since most players don't sound like what they want their characters to sound (accents, difference in gender, voice tone). Most productions would end up being silent movies, weird experimental shorts, or gag reels/memes.

Also it wouldn't necessarily add a lot for people to be able to RP since they'd be fed lines they'd repeat in a text-based server. Added to that, fame works very weirdly on the server, and it often just happens organically and mostly through social media clout. It's a lot more likely you'll be recognized for your Facebrowser account and your personal brand than your productions.

• Upvote 2
On 3/18/2022 at 4:55 PM, Lurleen said:

I'm a really big fan of this tbf. I'm trying to brush up on my video editing, Menyoo and Rockstar Editor skills and this would be a great outlet for it. Plus I think people would enjoy watching short vids - there are many great machinima examples filmed on GTA 5 out there already.

Thumbs up from me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 5:55 PM, Lurleen said:

Yeah, there used to be Vinewood Studios back then, but it didn't last long.

• Wuhtah locked this topic