Facebrowser Moderation being taken IC

Fireworks

quickdate was created to combat explicit content on face but did it actually solve anything? no. why? because its lifeless and void of community. shitposting != wanting to go ig and erp somebody

the way you solve this is by making an alternative social media platform. cook up a twitter clone or something and present it to users as a site which has lax moderation. let gang members do their shit on it, let shitposters shitpost and let thots post their lewds. bcs like it or not the demographics listed rn arent a minority and you're never going to get rid of them unless a valid alternative is offered

i think other than illegal material sites should focus on self moderation and separatism rather than manual subjective enforcement. make it so you can only see content of people you follow, add things like NFSW tags so things get blurred unless safe search is disabled etc

Edited by .mikey
9 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

That would be absolutely amazing. Imagine it being a company, headquartered at, say, the Lifeinvader offices. People could role-play in various truly realistic white-collar jobs, especially in tech, with an actual reason behind their role-play and activity. So many opportunities. It would be awesome if it became a faction.

I can bring it up again… lord, I can only imagine how much hate these characters would receive…. 🥲

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Selena said:

I can bring it up again… lord, I can only imagine how much hate these characters would receive…. 🥲

Well there's nothing I want more than to be an excentric vegan slender redhead with a hoodie wrapped around his shoulders drinking matcha while banning kids on fb 

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Mahitto said:

Except that LEO factions have no way of actually tracking these people. In real life, if you do stuff like that on social media, you'll likely get tagged and investigated by law enforcement either by or through the use of their very useful cybercrime divisions and such. We don't have that here because it'd be super boring, no one would want to do it, no one has the knowledge to, and it's be pretty much useless to role-play a cyber division within, say, PD.

+ everyone just goes "the posts are made by a vpn that traces to another vpn" when they get caught, not much we can do

1 hour ago, Fireworks said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the purpose of QuickDate?

34 minutes ago, .mikey said:

quickdate was created to combat explicit content on face but did it actually solve anything? no. why? because its lifeless and void of community. shitposting != wanting to go ic and erp somebody

The main problem with Quickdate is it's primarily designed to be an OOC moneytrap rather than serve as something useful and beneficial in terms of roleplay. If anything, it's far more detrimental than Facebrowser is.

38 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

Yeah, but it'd be super boring. I don't think anyone would budge for something like this. It involves pretty much 0 RP, it's quite literally scrolling through Facebrowser and doing forum work.

There were a few characters who were roleplaying gate guards at the airport until they got banned for not getting proper approval, an awful shame considering it was one of the more exciting and innovative roleplay projects in a while that could've been easily approved but was unfortunately trashed. Anything can be done with the right mindset, IMO. Besides this, how much different, if not worse, is typical LEO forum work anyway? If anything, handling Facebrowser could be far more interesting investigative work.

45 minutes ago, sCrax said:

Don't post your character's tits, simple as that. Instead of spending an hour in menyoo and photoshop to give your character the biggest boobas this server has ever seen, consider going IG to get some character development done. This way you won't have to complain about your weird posts getting deleted! Thank me later for this quick fix.

This gets brought up a lot on discussions surrounding Facebrowser and people tend to come to the conclusion that producing Menyoos are bad, some even going as far as saying Facebrowser should be flat out removed. I'd argue the opposite, while there are plenty of low-effort thirst trap characters who simply make pics to farm reacts, there's also several exceptionally good roleplayers who use Menyoo to their advantage to create or enhance roleplay through social media.

Characters like Elvira Ngo portrayed social media, promiscuity, attraction, dependency, intimacy, and the mental health surrounding that + BPD supremely well. All of this involved producing plenty of "photos of their tits" but also led to consistently great roleplay scenes in-game that created plenty of development and conflicts for many other characters. Besides thotposting, many characters on FB use Menyoo well to add interesting details to their characters, e.g.

unknown.png

Besides all this, there's one thing I want people reading this thread to consider. While it's possible to say Facebrowser moderation is OOC, does it even function the same compared to other forms of moderation like forum/faction reports? Social media is an entirely different scale.

With "normal" OOC moderation for IG rules/forum stuff, all the involved parties can be informed if a scene has been voided, if someone's been punished, or whatever the outcome is. With Facebrowser content, photos can be seen by 100s of people and spread around, and players have no way of discerning whether a Facebrowser moderator has deleted their post or if the user has self-deleted their post.

Characters may post something on Facebrowser, people could see it near when it gets posted, and then those characters may never notice it's been deleted say, 43 minutes later. Each of these characters could then bring up that Facebrowser content IG or in FB DMs and if it has been OOCly moderated, it would technically create a constant need to re-communicate that to potentially many players. In the case of forum reports or faction situations, these can be quickly and easily communicated to the involved parties. With Facebrowser moderation, it cannot, and due to this alongside other reasons, it should remain as largely in character as possible in order to improve the process.

Edited by Pascal
  • Upvote 1

@Pascal I don't know how interesting it would be but I'm 100% it wouldn't get any attention. Some people do enjoy forum work but all of them want and enjoy role-playing. Detective work requires a lot of forum stuff but also leads to some amazing interactions and developments. Scrolling through Facebrowser, though, doesn't. It would require someone dedicate a character to this division which would pretty much spend their entire shifts scrolling through Facebrowser and, when they'd find something, go to the forums and start documenting it, over and over. Best case scenario, bust some low-level junkie banger for 6 hours on a weapon or drug charge.

The Sheriff's Departments has the Sheriff's Information Bureau, which is like its PR team. Mostly passive stuff, quite a lot of forum work (editing and formatting, writing articles and press releases etc) and even that doesn't get enough attention, despite involving some pretty cool role-play. I don't think that's viable at all, so we still need actual moderators.

1 hour ago, Law said:

We have the ability to innovate and create or suggest a different platform to share your sexual content and weapons on.

Personally, I’d love to see a twitter spinoff since we already have the toxic culture for it.

I don't know what I would do if I got ratio'd in a videogame.

• Upvote 2
24 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

The Sheriff's Departments has the Sheriff's Information Bureau, which is like its PR team.

Hate to burst that bubble but it does not, the sheriff information bureau was cut because of budget reasons + the command team stepped down (source: was in sib until it got shut down)

10 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Hate to burst that bubble but it does not, the sheriff information bureau was cut because of budget reasons + the command team stepped down (source: was in sib until it got shut down)

Not sure when that happened but it was still a thing two weeks ago. I was mainly talking about ~1 year ago when its recruitment was open and it struggled to get members. Regardless, a division focused not mainly, but solely on forum work and scrolling through Facebrowser, would not be of interest to many.

• Selena locked this topic