Forbid OOC requirements in property sales

Mahitto

1 minute ago, Vassilios said:

I don't support this. On the contrary, I am glad that people are making applications for houses and keeping them only to county locals.

Except that anyone can lie about their intentions and these applications make room for 20 types of abuses.

2 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

Except that anyone can lie about their intentions and these applications make room for 20 types of abuses.

It's actually a common issue with property and lease requests 😕  You see people opening a new business twice, after a lease period is over, and then it's closed and inactive again, only used for screenshots on faction threads 😕 

1 hour ago, Mahitto said:

I would assume that the house owners ask for an application because they'll check the validity, whether that is through forums, different discord server etc.

• 1 month later...

I'm against this too. I've seen countless properties in real life that ask for stuff like that. People should start and roleplay anything that's property related, including buying a house or a property - in real life, that's a process that takes time, some investigations on both sides, and you'd have to be 100% that you are okay with everything related to the property, from structure problems to bills and what companies provide you electricity, internet, etc. This is all roleplay, of course, but I'm 100% OK with doing an application if I want a property. Why are people doing this? Because some gangster from Davis might try and buy a mansion on the hills just because he has the money, but his character would most likely not be welcome in that community, so that's why they're trying to find the right owner for the neighborhood. 

Personally, I wouldn't sell any property to someone that's not a fit, and the OOC part is a bit sketchy here, but I'd rather hear the character development and see their stories to decide 100% if that is the right person - this is to ensure that every neighborhood keeps the same vibe, from gang neighborhoods, to middle and upper class. 

And this goes for roleplaying tenants too. I've searched 3 weeks until I found the right place, and the right owner, because I wanted to be properly roleplayed. I want to involve my landlord in my roleplay, especially when something breaks down, or when I want to change something in that place. 

I mean yes and no. I think people have a reason to have genuine concern about who may be buying their property. I also think a lot of these things can be done more in-character, or at least people can try harder to pretend they’re in-character. 

Makes sense though.

You don't want someone who drives the equivalent of a rolls Royce as a daily moving into a trailer in sandy shores for example. Not only will their car being parked out front break immersion and their character won't strictly fit in due to character background and story but the most important part is that it takes away a property from someone who has been waiting for a long time.

If Property Management is allowed to vet characters OOCly before giving them a property, players are allowed to as well. If I intend to sell a highly valued piece of property such as an MP Home or county property, I'd rather it go to a character with the most fitting background and portrayal. 

Edited by NexusExodus
  • Upvote 3

I'm not a big fan of applications in general for properties but I understand their use. Also an application for a property is also something that can later be brought back to RPQM if things go sour "this person promised this was the RP they wanted to bring to the area and they've done the opposite", for example.

On 2/25/2022 at 1:46 PM, Mahitto said:

I understand and respect the attempt to keep communities active and tight-knit, but that's what the staff team does, not us.

Also this is simply categorically untrue. Communities are the ones who keep themselves active, the staff team very rarely supports community-building efforts from the ground-up because they honestly leave that in the hands of players as they very well should, within reason. Staff has no say or influence over the activity and cohesion of communities, and so I understand that people in places of high demand, low supply might want to vet particular characters to defend the interests of a particular area.

My interest has always been to do Community RP and I have seen countless times how small but consistent changes in player demographics can make people that used to RP somewhere suddenly feel unwelcome and usher in a completely new population of players to change the RP landscape.

I even proposed an IC system for Koreatown to be allowed to start a pilot project to lease out empty storefronts IC to local young residents who wanted to be entrepeneurs, I would offer cheap leases and help them with their business and in turn there'd be an understanding that they'd keep it active and going for the local community. If they didn't, they could simply be kicked out and the lease could be offered to someone else, giving a local neighborhood the power to police activity and businesses so that they don't fall into oblivion.

At the time PM was not keen on opening the can of worms of "landlord RP", but the intention was always to make sure that the very limited number of shops in Koreatown could have the highest level of activity to promote neighborhood life. The only requirement really was that people made a commitment to make something interesting and immersive for the locals.