Forbid OOC requirements in property sales

Mahitto

This has been becoming a trend lately, and a pretty bad one at that. In an attempt to unofficially uphold activity and standards, some people start requiring various OOC stuff, some even full-on "applications", to purchase their properties. Needless to say, this makes the property market an out-of-character thing, and that shouldn't be the case on a role-play server.

I understand and respect the attempt to keep communities active and tight-knit, but that's what the staff team does, not us. Having people buy and sell properties based on OOC factors and highly subjective applications won't do anyone any good. Anyone can lie or come up with some fillers to justify their purchase. I can come up with an award-winning sob-story to justify purchasing a unique Paleto property only to flip it later. It's not stopping that. However, it does leaves a lot of room for a lot of shady OOC stiff that can't ever be tracked or reported.

I won't name names because that's not the point, although you can go into the Properties or Archive subforums and see for yourselves. This shouldn't be allowed. The property market should be kept completely in-character and property flippers or hoarders should simply be reported via the methods we already have and use. Not like this. 

• Thanks 1

No.

The property economy is shagged at the moment because people want ridiculous amounts of money for houses in that area.

Just because people have the money, doesn’t mean they have the right character for living in that area. 

It’s a joke, and there definitely needs to be some moderation over properties and who’s hands they end up in. 

Just now, Pogis said:

Nope. 

Let people choose who they sell their house to. 

sure, you can later on report them and let admins handle it, but you can also just save the workload for admins and do it yourself.

You don't really save anyone any time, though. That's the thing. If I want to hoard a house in Paleto, what stops me from writing one of these "applications"? What stops anyone from just doing that and then hoarding or flipping the property? Besides the fact that it basically officially allows for OOC trades to happen. It's basically allowed metagaming.

4 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

You don't really save anyone any time, though. That's the thing. If I want to hoard a house in Paleto, what stops me from writing one of these "applications"? What stops anyone from just doing that and then hoarding or flipping the property? Besides the fact that it basically officially allows for OOC trades to happen. It's basically allowed metagaming.

Nothing stops you from writing one of the applications, sure. However, it’s saved, and it saves RPQM / PM time later on trying to reach out to the supposed hoarder if they can get everything proof wise from the previous owner.

and yes, you’re right - nothing stops you from hoarding and flipping it as well.

But I still don’t think you should limit how they’re sold. If the seller wants to choose who they sell it to - so be it, that’s literally none of your business. They’ll figure out themselves who they THINK the right person to sell it to is.

and how does it allow for ooc trades to happen im not followin u here

1 minute ago, Pogis said:

Nothing stops you from writing one of the applications, sure. However, it’s saved, and it saves RPQM / PM time later on trying to reach out to the supposed hoarder if they can get everything proof wise from the previous owner.

It wouldn't help RPQM/PM much, though. If people do have an intent to hoard or flip a property, they'll write how their character is a resident, how they need the property to role-play a realistic story and try to do something in the community etc. That won't help any report, on the contrary.

1 minute ago, Pogis said:

and how does it allow for ooc trades to happen im not followin u here

10 people might apply for the same property. The seller might OOCly select someone they see fit, who coincidentally is someone who's an OOC friend, who paid them IRL money, or on the contrary, not select someone simply because they don't like them OOCly, all under the very easy pretense that they didn't like their application, or whatever other OOC factors. And there's absolutely 0 way to track or report that because there's no transparancy. Among the many other reasons why having an out-of-character property market on a heavy text-based role-play server is an issue.

If someone hoards properties or only buys them to be inactive or flip them, both Property Management and RPQM can and do actively investigate these in order to counter them. We don't need randoms creating and managing "applications" and doing it all OOCly.

2 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

It wouldn't help RPQM/PM much, though. If people do have an intent to hoard or flip a property, they'll write how their character is a resident, how they need the property to role-play a realistic story and try to do something in the community etc. That won't help any report, on the contrary.

10 people might apply for the same property. The seller might OOCly select someone they see fit, who coincidentally is someone who's an OOC friend, who paid them IRL money, or on the contrary, not select someone simply because they don't like them OOCly, all under the very easy pretense that they didn't like their application, or whatever other OOC factors. And there's absolutely 0 way to track or report that because there's no transparancy. Among the many other reasons why having an out-of-character property market on a heavy text-based role-play server is an issue.

If someone hoards properties or only buys them to be inactive or flip them, both Property Management and RPQM can and do actively investigate these in order to counter them. We don't need randoms creating and managing "applications" and doing it all OOCly.

I could still select not to sell my property to someone I don’t like even without an application….. whats your point?

Also, if people really wanted to do trades for irl money and what not - it can also still happen without an OOC appliction. 

i stand by what I said in the first post - no, rule like this is useless.

Edited by Pogis