Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

29 minutes ago, TheSenate said:

Sure, but that is totally unenforceable on your end. And it still fails to model all the medical complications these people would experience as a result of not receiving actual care. Not even every actual hospital is equipped to handle gunshot wounds, the idea that you can in any safe manner replace the role of those surgeons in someone’s backyard is mostly food for Hollywood. 

Underground medical practice is a thing, but more often than not something goes wrong and the person ends up needing to seek actual medical care somewhere down the road.

Again, it's enforceable as long as criminals want off the books treatment. It also helps to really show which members of the criminal roleplay community are interested in genuine quality roleplay.

Just schedule checkup dates, and keep an eye on their activity. If they don't abide the arranged agreement for treatment, it becomes justified to stop treating them altogether - much like real world hospitals, I can cut them off entirely for refusing to adhere to recovery directions. Much like how hospitals decide not to transplant a kidney into someone who won't follow instructions, I can decide not to treat someone for much the same reason. 

Helps keep me in touch with the good roleplayers, while giving me an easy way to cut the bad roleplayers out.

On 4/12/2022 at 6:37 PM, Pittfan498 said:

Unpopular opinion:

Stop gatekeeping vehicles + houses.

It's time to realize house requests and vehicle requests aren't needed and only hinder/annoy people who would use them. This server is grown enough to allow players to freely buy and purchase any vehicles or property. If it's abused, it should be a 0 tolerance policy and instantly taken away. Let the person who abused suffer through an appeal process rather than the majority of players who wouldn't abuse and would utilize these items. The hills feels like a ghost town. 

• Upvote 1

Here's something I always wanted to address, which I still find super confusing. I found out the hard way the more I played.

It is not allowed to perform actions which would not be possible in real life either, this is not limited to roleplay through /me. It is not allowed to force actions upon another player. You are not allowed to roleplay a non-player character.

What does "Forcing your actions upon another player" means, on this server?

I originally come from an RP background where forcing your actions upon another player means performing your /me and not letting the other party react with a /me in response to your action before you go ahead with said action, like punching, stabbing, running off, etc. I get that each server has their own RP systems and ways, but bear with me here.

Here would be an example as to how a typical RP would look like between two people:

** John Doe clenches his right fist and sends it into a hook into [character's name]'s face, aiming for the jaw.

The other person should probably react with:

** Greg Foe receives a punch to his jaw, he stumbles backwards as he covers his face with his hand, before putting himself in a defensive stance.

Yet.. That is not the case? Why are RP fights rare, or non-existent? And the above example is the bare minimum for RP. I've seen both heavy-RP servers and light-RP servers, and honestly a good portion of the RP here seems to lean towards light RP. Not all of it, but some. It's encouraged by allowing weapon scrolling for blades and small weapons such as pistols, which promotes script fights/shootouts as opposed to RP ones - Which.. Should probably be the latter?

Here's how it usually unfolds:

** John doe rushes Greg Foe

And from that point on, it's up to who has the better FPS, who has the most health, and who spins around the other the fastest. But that doesn't even stop at fist fights or combat, it's rampant everywhere.

I remember a time where I was joyriding a stolen car on my criminal character, my guy gets spotted by police, they initiate in a pursuit and I eventually crash the car and ditch it to run on foot, okay, no big deal, so far so good, it's my choice to run and I have to accept the potential consequences of doing that.

But then here lies the problem - Should I risk stopping my character to RP my attempted fleeing, or should I just leg it and hop and run around like a headless chicken, hoping the cops aren't going to hit me?

Why shouldn't I stop and /me? It's a heavy-RP server.

Because the cops will, rightfully so, automatically assume I WILL leg it without roleplay and they will script tase and cuff me so that actual RP writing may begin because my character would be physically unable to move script-wise. You know what? I don't blame them, and the problem here isn't the tasing and the cuffing. I'm mature enough to accept the fact that my character is not going to win when the odds are low - The problem here, is the way it unfolds. It's the reliance on scripted /ame's, on a heavy-RP server, that bothers me.

How are people supposed to enjoy RP when it's a script grind? I get that not everyone wants to write a paragraph-long /me about how they're inhaling air into their lungs, but me neither, and that is not what I'm asking, here. This is a matter of interaction with other people. I get why LEO and other first-responder RP can be so boring and underwhelming, and repetitive. Because there's little to no tension and interaction during the most important parts, you know what's going to happen and you know exactly how, because it's the inevitable pattern that forms when your RP system revolves around scripts. And that goes with any type of roleplay.

This isn't a matter of "Legal/Illegal RPers have bad RP standards!"  - Some people will deliberately keep RP to a bare minimum, but that's because they can, it gets them an advantage. Can you really blame them for it if they're allowed to take that advantage in the first place? Why would they need to be doing any better if bare minimum is enough?

Edited by Mistery14
  • Applaud 2
2 hours ago, Mistery14 said:

Here's something I always wanted to address, which I still find super confusing. I found out the hard way the more I played.

I originally come from an RP background where forcing your actions upon another player means performing your /me and not letting the other party react with a /me in response to your action before you go ahead with said action, like punching, stabbing, running off, etc. I get that each server has their own RP systems and ways, but bear with me here.

Here would be an example as to how a typical RP would look like between two people:

** John Doe clenches his right fist and sends it into a hook into [character's name]'s face, aiming for the jaw.

** Greg Foe receives a punch to his jaw, he stumbles backwards as he covers his face with his hand, before putting himself in a defensive stance.

Yet.. That is not the case? Why are RP fights rare, or non-existent? And the above example is the bare minimum for RP. I've seen both heavy-RP servers and light-RP servers, and honestly a good portion of the RP here seems to lean towards light RP. Not all of it, but some. It's encouraged by allowing weapon scrolling for blades and small weapons such as pistols, which promotes script fights/shootouts as opposed to RP ones - Which.. Should probably be the latter?

And from that point on, it's up to who has the better FPS, who has the most health, and who spins around the other the fastest. But that doesn't even stop at fist fights or combat, it's rampant everywhere.

I remember a time where I was joyriding a stolen car on my criminal character, my guy gets spotted by police, they initiate in a pursuit and I eventually crash the car and ditch it to run on foot, okay, no big deal, so far so good, it's my choice to run and I have to accept the potential consequences of doing that.

But then here lies the problem - Should I risk stopping my character to RP my attempted fleeing, or should I just leg it and hop and run around like a headless chicken, hoping the cops aren't going to hit me?

Because the cops will, rightfully so, automatically assume I WILL leg it without roleplay and they will script tase and cuff me so that actual RP writing may begin because my character would be physically unable to move script-wise. You know what? I don't blame them, and the problem here isn't the tasing and the cuffing. I'm mature enough to accept the fact that my character is not going to win when the odds are low - The problem here, is the way it unfolds. It's the reliance on scripted /ame's, on a heavy-RP server, that bothers me.

How are people supposed to enjoy RP when it's a script grind? I get that not everyone wants to write a paragraph-long /me about how they're inhaling air into their lungs, but me neither, and that is not what I'm asking, here. This is a matter of interaction with other people. I get why LEO and other first-responder RP can be so boring and underwhelming, and repetitive. Because there's little to no tension and interaction during the most important parts, you know what's going to happen and you know exactly how, because it's the inevitable pattern that forms when your RP system revolves around scripts. And that goes with any type of roleplay.

This isn't a matter of "Legal/Illegal RPers have bad RP standards!"  - Some people will deliberately keep RP to a bare minimum, but that's because they can, it gets them an advantage. Can you really blame them for it if they're allowed to take that advantage in the first place? Why would they need to be doing any better if bare minimum is enough?

Been here for nearly 3 years with this mentality. Had to learn it, the hard way, on numerous occasions that most people don't want that level of R.P. 

3 hours ago, Mistery14 said:

I just wish we'd get a rule on which is the proper way to have a fight/attack someone by the server's standards.

People get ajailed for your typical /me rushes while some people (even admins) use their equivalent of /me rushes and and it's all considered fine.

I've been here for what feels like 3+ years and I STILL have no idea how I'm supposed to attack someone out in public with melee only. 

• Upvote 3
5 hours ago, Koko said:

People create characters to serve factions instead of factions that inspire characters and it shows in the end product.

Realest statement. As someone who has been in and out of both toxic and great factions, you definitely have to pull your own weight to make it work. But there's too much of your character's personality put into it in the very beginning that when you're up, it gets jaded very fast. But I won't generalize everyone ofc cause you do meet people who create RP and help others, while others have the mindset of 'well I'm not gonna spoonfeed roleplay,' 

22 minutes ago, BINGBONGBALONEY said:

I just wish we'd get a rule on which is the proper way to have a fight/attack someone by the server's standards.

People get ajailed for your typical /me rushes while some people (even admins) use their equivalent of /me rushes and and it's all considered fine.

I've been here for what feels like 3+ years and I STILL have no idea how I'm supposed to attack someone out in public with melee only. 

I would like to know too, I always have a rough time knowing when it's time to go into blows and it feels like some people just go "/me starts throwing blows at" and rush you mid typing. I'm the sucker who waits till everyone is obviously ready.

7 hours ago, Mistery14 said:

Yet.. That is not the case? Why are RP fights rare, or non-existent?

GTAW simply doesn't need the text emote fights of other games like WoW or ESO or whatever. You can use the mechanics of the game to have a fistfight or a shootout.

Quite frankly, no one likes watching a 30 minute emote fight that would realistically end in a few seconds in real life. GTAW allows fights to end fast enough that it doesn't bog down RP.

Imagine a RP fight going 5-10 minutes, people would either have to pause around it, or the cops would arrive before 2 punches were thrown and then what? It's just awkward and doesn't work.

1 hour ago, pateuvasiliu said:

GTAW simply doesn't need the text emote fights of other games like WoW or ESO or whatever. You can use the mechanics of the game to have a fistfight or a shootout.

Quite frankly, no one likes watching a 30 minute emote fight that would realistically end in a few seconds in real life. GTAW allows fights to end fast enough that it doesn't bog down RP.

Imagine a RP fight going 5-10 minutes, people would either have to pause around it, or the cops would arrive before 2 punches were thrown and then what? It's just awkward and doesn't work.

The funny part of all this (which I agree with fundamentally, in terms of script fights being the overall best way to solve these disputes) is that if you made a graph to see where the best melee fighters intersect on a graph with the most engaging RPers, those who have the best chance at generating the most quality RP to the largest amount of people are repeatedly the least likely to win a script fistfight.