Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

1 hour ago, Phased said:

After almost four months of only playing an LEO on this server - I'm yet to personally see PHMC report a gunshot victim coming in alone, and they treat everything for free.  I'm not sure what the benefit would be going to someone else at this point, especially if it'd lead to far more regulation in how a person is going to rp afterwards.  (Which let's be serious, you wouldn't have a hope in being able to properly enforce unless you followed them about for a month lol)

I did it multiple times when I was in the faction (albeit more than 4 months ago), at most we'd get one bored cop taking a statement then leaving again, not worth the bother lmao.

And most gunshot vic's just npc their treatment because "they have to go"

1 hour ago, Phased said:

After almost four months of only playing an LEO on this server - I'm yet to personally see PHMC report a gunshot victim coming in alone, and they treat everything for free.  I'm not sure what the benefit would be going to someone else at this point, especially if it'd lead to far more regulation in how a person is going to rp afterwards.  (Which let's be serious, you wouldn't have a hope in being able to properly enforce unless you followed them about for a month lol)

We report gunshots all the time, just no one ever comes by to check. So we usually stop doing it unless its fairly serious or we find a gun on them.

7 hours ago, Phased said:

The main concern is that once they go to a hospital for a gunshot related injury, it's likely going to be reported to the police for investigation. It's a good way to get caught, and even if it isn't, a lot of the criminal community sees it that way.

A (very shady) third party removes that risk, but a tradeoff is reduced quality. Best way to enforce the policy of injuries and recovery being roleplayed correctly is to just keep an eye out and see how they treat situations. If they don't, then they can be cut out entirely as a risk. Why bother treating someone if they're going to immediately do something that was explained to them thoroughly as likely if not guaranteed to undo any and all treatments administered to them?

Incidentally, this is the same attitude in the professional medical world when it comes to organ transplants. Don't get a vaccine or take your medicine? You'll be removed from the recipient waiting list without so much as a blink of regret. Either you comply with the instructions issued by your physician, or you don't get treatment.

20 hours ago, onefortyseven said:

The problem is not the amount of money the players have, the problem is how some of them decide to use it. The number in the top-right of your screen is largely irrelevant. I said it times and times again, albeit not publicly — the problem lies within the players' attitude towards script money & their desire to portray some SecondLife-esque 'perfect' supermodels, with immense wealth and a fervent desire to flaunt it. I'm by no means trying to insult or make fun of anyone, and I genuinely do hope that no one takes any offense, but, let's be real. This is something that's happening here on GTA World, and is/was a problem on all other GTA roleplay servers in existence. Fortunately, a lot of people get bored of it soon enough & decide to give actual character development a shot, but, oh well.

Again, roleplaying a character and developing a character are two different things, they are not the same. People rping second life-esque characters are roleplaying already developed characters. I personally don't see socializing and portraying ordinary life in an american city as development. Which is what these people are doing. An example would be people trying to help random drug addict, because why? Why would they offer a room and a job to someone they never met before? For some people roleplaying already developed characters, the number in their top rigtht corner of the screen represents their actual finances, because that's what it is honestly. Whether we like or not we are roleplaying in a fantasy world, where death means nothing, people don't age, cars repair after being vparked, which means anyone can be anything within the rules of given settings. The term, mallrat  refers to people who infact roleplay flashing their wealth and socializing, just like people do in real life. Really visit downtown, pre-covid ofc, which is impossible lately and you'd see all sort of flashy cars and people going out, that's part of life. We chose to portray such in GTA settings, because it was allowed. It's not just cops, robbers and victims. It's a world. Development doesn't matter if someone chooses to portray their character their own way. Same like beefing with someone or cruising around every day looking for lick, doesn't affect one's character at all. It's just what they do in the game. So TL;DR, roleplaying and development - Not the same thing.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Upvote 1

It appears that we agree to disagree on this one. Developing a realistic character, with a realistic personality, realistic flaws, strong points, and the whole nine yards, as well as realistic ‘progression’ are, and have been the core of servers of this type. Most of the above are quite literally requirements someone has to meet when providing a character story that’s used to determine if they’re fit to play on the server. Of course, socializing and day-to-day life play into that.

“ Whether we like it or not we are roleplaying in a fantasy world, where death means nothing, people don't age… “ — Unfortunately, this is something that I have to disagree with, as well. Deaths can, and, especially within the circles that value realistic portrayal & development do mean something. As for character’s 'aging', it’s one of the ‘core’ things when it comes to realistic character portrayal. No one would like to see a thirteen-year-old shotcaller, a sixteen-year-old self-made  kid from a lower class family, running a major business consulting company, a twenty-five year old captain in a law enforcement faction, and so on, and so forth. And, it translates to ‘civilian’ characters, as well. There are some things that simply can’t be achieved in a matter of days/weeks, the way they are here (i.e. opening a club, getting a degree, going from merely liking each other to getting married, et cetera — all the things that are pretty ‘popular’ among those portraying so-called SecondLife-esque characters).

e: Before anyone assumes that I'm making fun of everyone who decides to run a business or roleplay a relationship - I'm not. I'm merely pointing out that we do have a number of players who do so in a less-than-realistic way, but, that doesn't reflect all. There are some very interesting business(wo)men/businesses on the server, well thought-out, immersive, and enjoyable to roleplay with/around. 

“ Really visit downtown, pre-covid ofc, which is impossible lately and you'd see all sorts of flashy cars and people going out, that's part of life. “ — I do, and I see that on a daily basis. I see people going out, socializing, driving around (some in flashy cars), and all that. What I, however, don’t see, are people doing 120 thru mid-day rush hour traffic in those flashy cars, local law enforcement officers with millions in their bank accounts, groups of grown 30-year-old+ adults behaving like elementary school children, and people giving away thousands of dollars/euros/whatever to complete strangers, like it’s candy (I am well aware that there are one-in-a-million social media influencers or a lone news article about someone being very generous with strangers every now and again, but it's far less common than what's being done here). And that, exactly, is why we shouldn’t be doing that here.

I know full well that the term roleplay translates to “ …roleplaying is the changing of one's behavior to assume a role… “ & that ‘roleplay’ itself has many genres, some of them not rooted in reality at all, but, we both know full well that the server that we play on, and, most, if not all GTA roleplay servers in existence revolve around portraying realistic, well-thought-out characters, instead of just buzzing around and doing random things that we see fit at any given point of time, regardless of if they’d be realistic for the character we’re playing.

So, in short: The genre of roleplay that this server revolves around is not just assuming a random role and carrying on with it, regardless of how (un)realistic it is. Instead, it goes much more in-depth. And, for the sake of going in-depth & maintaining the required standards of ‘realism’, we have to learn to sometimes ignore what the script says (i.e. the script money counter in the top right corner), and instead proceed with what would be the most realistic thing to do.

Edited by onefortyseven
  • Upvote 2

Well I merely pointed out, that development isnt necessary for roleplaying mundane daily life to some people. Sure it can spice up their character, but if someone intends to portray an adult character with clear vision of what they want them to be, then the development already happened during creation of said character.

2 hours ago, Engelbert said:

Well I merely pointed out, that development isnt necessary for roleplaying mundane daily life to some people. Sure it can spice up their character, but if someone intends to portray an adult character with clear vision of what they want them to be, then the development already happened during creation of said character.

I mean, characters should develop based on their experiences while doing these mundane things, as-well. Whether it's a change in ark, personality, behaviours etc... development exists, even with a char that already has a developed background.

• Upvote 1

A person doesn't need to be outwardly crying and wetting themselves in order to qualify as being fearful. It's entirely possible and not unrealistic for some people to remain rational while still remaining very aware of their lifelong allergy to bullets and stab wounds.

Also, if you're banned as a consequence for breaking the rules during some sort of activity (like trucking, policing, robbing, or shooting) a condition for being allowed back on the server should be complete removal from said activity for at least six months. Show that you can roleplay in some way that doesn't lean on the behavior that got you banned in the first place.

...or just make permanent bans permanent again. I'm not the only one tired of seeing "You're permanently banned for three days." 

On 4/13/2022 at 2:44 PM, DasFroggy said:

I've been planning to scoot one of my characters into this role, with free off the books medical care having a number of very serious drawbacks. Got shot in the abdomen? Accepting treatment means you can't sprint for the next real world month, because a lot of torso muscles need to recover and anything faster than a steady walk risks tearing the stitching and recovering tissues. Get shot in the arm? It'll be a few real world weeks before you can operate a gun.

But at least the police won't know.

Sure, but that is totally unenforceable on your end. And it still fails to model all the medical complications these people would experience as a result of not receiving actual care. Not even every actual hospital is equipped to handle gunshot wounds, the idea that you can in any safe manner replace the role of those surgeons in someone’s backyard is mostly food for Hollywood. 

Underground medical practice is a thing, but more often than not something goes wrong and the person ends up needing to seek actual medical care somewhere down the road.