Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

6 hours ago, VeeZee said:

Yeah.  To be fair, most factions DO seem to be pretty ethnically centered and that's not really far off from how it is IRL, afaik.  I'll probably take you up on your advice, really.

I mean illegal rp isn't exactly restricted to factions, so independent criminal rp is more than possible for any type of character regardless of race/culture(my character is Hispanic, but they aren't exactly in a faction). However at the end of the day for independent drug dealer rp specifically, if you want to progress you will have to make friends or at least connections with people associated with the major factions.

That approach is pretty difficult because a lot of factions will be distrustful of outsiders(especially people from different cultural backgrounds), so you'd need to convince the faction that you're a reliable buyer or useful in some other way. Also pretty risky for obvious reasons, but if you score a good connect then you're basically set for a while.

Edited by El Bandito
  • Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, Legal said:

we will always try to replicate those old samp feelings when roleplaying, but it won't ever be the same thing no matter how hard we try

We'd just get banned for it, cause the samp feelings we had on sarp were a lot different today. 👀

On 3/26/2022 at 12:13 AM, Illusory said:

Jail faction with a small patrol division btw. In all seriousness, if we can't have SD be active enough in TTCF to provide consistent RP for inmates, maybe we need a faction specifically dedicated to it? DOC was active enough in SACF on LSRP, all Ima say.

On 3/26/2022 at 12:18 AM, orca112 said:

So-so. It has always been a very small, nieche faction and there has been periods where the faction simply lacked manpower as a whole - barely able to have more than 1-2 people on-duty during peak hours. Making a seperate jail/prison faction may seem like a solution, but it opens up equally as many problems as it supposedly solves.

On 3/26/2022 at 1:17 AM, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

pretty sure that was the original plan for sd. and then it was like "naw, jk. that jail boring as hell. i can't believe y'all fell for that."

On 3/26/2022 at 8:25 PM, Topinambour said:

It's basically admin jail. Lockdown 24/7 so even if there were other inmates, you'd still be left alone to AFK for 6 hours, even at peak server times. 

On 3/27/2022 at 12:03 AM, Illusory said:

As somebody else who was inducted in the first SD wave, can confirm. The plan always seems to be doing the opposite of the plan. Like Davis station was the biggest "never in a million years" meme for literal years and look where we're at now. Way she goes.

On 3/27/2022 at 12:02 AM, TheSenate said:

As someone who was there the day LSSD opened, the original plan was literally a jail faction with a small patrol division made up of the more senior members. If you were not part of the patrol division, the only thing you were allowed to do was jail related activities. Then they opened up some "dual role" applications for jail deputies who wanted to fill in on patrol when the jail was well staffed, and a little while after that the entire faction became patrol deputies who had to do X number of jail hours.

Edit: In conclusion, yes, that is exactly what happened.

zKbNRAZ.png

Where's the prison guards?
Am I really locked into this cubicle?
Here I am
In this travesty
Weren't we all promised a better jail culture?

I'm punished for my thievery
Even though I am truly getting no, roleplay at all,
Deputies have fled, they're out on gang patrol
This is all a sham
The faction never really cared or gave a damn

After all, this is my big night in the pound
My introduction to la EME crowd
I assumed that I would not stay here for long
So I was wrong

At least I understand
All the innuendo and the irony
And I appreciate
The role that Winnfield played
The posts that Pittman made

And after the jail decline,
And after there's no COs,
There's locked doors
To empty yards

For a prison faction to succeed what you need is a cadre of people who are willing to stay within a small area for the majority of their playing time and who are responsible for creating roleplay, not reacting to it. A correctional faction is the only type of law enforcement faction in which you are forced to be active in your roleplay (opening facilities, coming up with activities for inmates, etc.) as opposed to reactive (responding to shootouts, pulling cars over, etc.) if you want not to thrive, but to reach the baseline activity required for the faction to sustain itself. 

Unfortunately the players who are willing to engage in this kind of roleplay are very few and far between. On average, only one in fifteen people who join a correctional faction lasts longer than a month and not having an easy way out of correctional roleplay, such as the opportunity to go out on patrol or what-have-you, helps to weed out those who aren't really interested in that sort of RP. But even among those who manage to pass the probationary phase, there's only a handful who have the drive or skill to reach a supervisory position or above. A high rate of turnover among faction members results in much experience being wasted instead of being passed down to the next class of roleplayers, which inevitably makes finding figures capable of leading the faction in its entirety all the more difficult in the long run.

This difficulty in retaining people also reflects on the eventual evolution of the faction. It goes without saying that the smaller the faction, the harder it is to cater to the many, ever-growing needs of the server population and their very rapidly changing opinions. For a faction that has a manpower pool of 100+ players, making sweeping changes in a short time is relatively easy, even if a large part of its players only log in-game and aren't responsible for making such changes. However, for a faction that barely reaches the 50 players in its entirety with more than 2/3 being baseline officers, any alteration is significantly more complicated, especially when its held at the same standards as all the others.

LSRP's SADOC used to work because there was an extremely small but equally dedicated core of players who kept it together through hell and high water. But mind you that at no point throughout its history, except perhaps in its very early days, SADOC thrived or succeeded in its mission; for a large part of its existence, SADOC survived and sometimes did so narrowly.

Besides, the SADOC mentioned by @Illusory simply cannot exist anymore in this year and age. A lot of LSRP's SADOC people just wanted to play for the sake of portraying a character in a somewhat sensible prison environment, catering to hardcore lifers and "tourists" alike, by taking information from different American correctional agencies and compiling it together so that it made sense within the server's lore. In this time made of endless red tape, lootboxes, fingernails scripts, IG-texts-to-Discord and other man made horrors beyond our comprehension, where you're mandated by contract to research every nook and cranny of the California penal system for 60+ hours a week with the aim of creating a metaverse in which play out all the power fantasies you can't IRL, that's simply not possible.

There is, of course, a lesson in this. The ones who have ran and still run the jail and who once blamed every flaw of SADOC upon the very crowd that held it together may finally realize that it was not the people in charge, nor a mentality opposed to change that were the problem, but the system itself, which doesn't have a magic switch you can turn on and off to create the perfect prison environment. Especially with the absolutely preposterous standards things are held to on this server, it would take a lot more drive, dedication and skill than you can find in any RP community to run a correctional faction.

Tl;dr: you reap what you sow.

Edited by Cleveland
On 4/10/2022 at 12:03 AM, VeeZee said:

-

this also heavily depends on the roleplay environment you're part of, or should i say factions instead

as you already mentioned in terms of race, most street gang factions such as black or latino heavily involve female characters in their roleplay, but other factions based off of how it's normally done realistically involve them differently

taking MCs and white gangs for example as well, women are often used by these groups to some extend of what you had mentioned. yes, often this is done in the role of a girlfriend or wife of sorts, considering all that is heavily reliant on trust. these white organized crime groups often use women to support them in a plethora of things, such as smuggling drugs into jail, using them to straw buy guns, do drops, potentially have them as lookouts amongst other things. in the past, my characters used them to bait other guys into robbing or even killing them.

it all really depends on what you're looking for. if you wish to be heavily involved? "colored" gangs are most likely your go-to, but if you rather have a supportive role, most different types of white/caucasian OCGs are your best bet, except for a small handful that involve females further