Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

I'm going to pretty much comment on a few things that bother me. Few pet peeves.

It's been said, so it's not a very unpopular opinion, but that needs to change. The way (M) characters are handled here is atrocious.

What (M) characters are right now is essentially a completely legit loophole that people can use to RP and act like shit, and honestly? I seriously don't blame them for using the shit out of that loophole while it lasts before it'll be restricted by more rules around whatever and not the punishment of those who abuse the system itself.

Another thing is the donation system - Okay, hear me out on this. The server needs money. I get it. The server has to deal with a lot of expenses, forums, facebrowser, paying people, etc, but the server could do it a little smarter.

The current donation system, in my opinion, and it is NOT something I claim to be a fact; encourages loyal, long-term players with (I assume, and hope) disposable income to donate by handing out perks in exchange for donations while in turn, well, turning off new players by announcing to them that a lot of things that they could deem practical to RP are behind a paywall.

When new players hear that paying real-life money is essentially required to run a successful business, no matter if it's for IC gains or just to create RP, what do you think their reaction will be? After all, they're new to the server. Will they immediately whip out their credit/debit card and pay up? Maybe. Good for them and the server.

But then you have the other option. ''Oh look, that other server's donation system is a little more refined, looks like their donation system leans towards cosmetic perks as opposed to practical things.. Hm.'' 

Yes. Donations are needed to run a server, this donation system is not the worst I've seen, nor is it the least efficient - The server is still running, after all, that'd disprove the argument of it not working. But something working right now could no longer work in six, seven months if a better alternative pops up somewhere else.

This leads me to a last, final point.

Maybe, just maybe, people are just trying to get past the donation part by cheesing the system and playing with rules.

Playing with loopholes, borderline breaking rules to make a little more profit than they should, taking the easy way out of a detrimental situation for a character that would be otherwise fun to RP, if it weren't for the grind that people have to go through to obtain most things. Prioritizing assets over RP, because assets are seen as more valuable than RP if they're harder to get.

After all, why bother spending IRL money on perks to run an IC business that you'd have to work on to be successful? Why bother RPing a fully-fledged character, when you can skip that, for free, by abusing technicalities and, I guess, leniency on a few things for a few weeks?

Of course, not every single problem on the server stems from that alone, but I'll end it here. I appreciate whoever reads this, whether you agree with my opinions or not.

TL;DR: Paying for cosmetic changes and perks like pets is one thing - Having to resort to paying to sustain the RP you want to provide because a practical perk is behind a paywall is a turn-off for new players and regulars alike, and can actually encourage people to use rule-breaking to get around that.

Edited by Mistery14
  • Applaud 1

We're literally within a Sandbox where every character could be something new or fresh. If you're bored, it's because you're not thinking outside of the box when it comes to creating characters. 

Develop a character. Doesn't matter if it's illegal, legal, or in-between (which everyone should aim for, anyway, as nobody's perfect). Create that unique personality and R.P.

If you're burnt out? Take a break. 1 week, 1 month etc... and it'll feel refreshing, again.

Edited by DLimit
  • Applaud 2
3 hours ago, DarkAndDreary said:

Give the Port Authority law enforcement power, vehicles with decals, red and blue lights and sirens and proper uniforms.

Maybe when they start the Los Santos Harbor Department and get a city mandate for the Los Santos Port Police. Muh immersion 🧐

• Upvote 1

Hiding the ban appeal section was and still is a major blow to server staff and policy transparency. We can't know if people are being unjustly processed in how their suspensions are applied or reviewed. It's entirely possible that people have been banned unfairly without our knowing, and we'll likely never know now that their pleas are shuffled quickly to secret corners that only the potential abusers can access.

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Upvote 2