Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

49 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

I'd say violence as a whole is overused. Not every petty conflict needs to end with someone going to the ER and the other guy in jail.

One example of this was with 2 dudes that were harassing some girls. When asked to stop and leave them be they immediately proceeded to throw hands, got themselves arrested and, realistically, would have a lot of difficulty finding work ever again. All for... what? Seems silly to mess up your life over such a small thing.

Violence is definitely overused but what you described is 100% something that would happen IRL and is perfectly acceptable in the IC environment we play in, meatheads get fucking primal when it comes to women and men stepping on their toes over said women. The sorta people who would physically fight over women don't care about their life or the consequences of their actions in the long-term, they wouldn't be suplex'ing people on concrete over pussy if they did.

On 2/20/2022 at 3:31 PM, Phased said:

If a situation is voided after an LEO faction has spent an hour on scene roleplaying with someone - it should only be voided on the victims side and the person should have to roleplay they did it to a John Doe so there aren't 10 roleplayers burning up loads of time for it to be voided because someone got heated about taking an L on the other side of the city.

Unironically I'd love this as an option.  I've had a few scenes I was involved in that was making for really good RP that wound up getting voided and when I asked if we could NPC the person that got banned I always get a big fat no.  I don't see the issue as long as everyone involved agrees.

3 hours ago, BINGBONGBALONEY said:

Violence is definitely overused but what you described is 100% something that would happen IRL and is perfectly acceptable in the IC environment we play in, meatheads get fucking primal when it comes to women and men stepping on their toes over said women. The sorta people who would physically fight over women don't care about their life or the consequences of their actions in the long-term, they wouldn't be suplex'ing people on concrete over pussy if they did.

I don't think anyone is querying this. It's not even up for debate. Those people absolutely exist. The issue is the volume in a server of a running average of 650 people at peak, currently. 

Violence, in those numbers, is highly overused like other kinds of conflict resolution and story building do not exist. It's unfortunate that it's the immediate go-to, though I imagine it's by and large because the game's base is designed for combat and caters to it, and then so do many of the mentalities likewise. 

Edited by shrike.
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Timzii said:

Rule 0 should be removed or tone downed to only be used at minor rule breakings.

Absolutely. Rule 0 is basically a "we have no rules". Imagine going to court and facing a 10-year sentence but you get the death sentence because of judge discretion. What's the point in having rules if there's one big rule that overturns all rules, that's usable by all of those who enforce said rules?

Edited by Mahitto
1 hour ago, shrike. said:

I don't think anyone is querying this. It's not even up for debate. Those people absolutely exist. The issue is the volume in a server of a running average of 650 people at peak, currently. 

Violence, in those numbers, is highly overused like other kinds of conflict resolution and story building do not exist. It's unfortunate that it's the immediate go-to, though I imagine it's by and large because the game's base is designed for combat and caters to it, and then so do many of the mentalities likewise. 

I honestly wouldn't mind excessive violent crimes and the hellish nature of Los Santos if it was taken at face value as it's own fictional "universe" that wasn't supposed to be 1:1 of real life California.

There's this weird hypocritical tug of war with pseudo-realism on GTAW where admins push a strict YOUR FACTION IDEA MUST EXIST WITHIN CALIFORNIA BECAUSE WE'RE TOTALLY REALISTIC while also completely ignoring what the realistic amount of full time career criminals in operation would be. It leads to this weird conflicting mish-mash of RP where players with neutral characters are expected to strictly RP Los Santos as if it's California/LA because GTAW is super accurate to IRL while also allowing criminals to run rampant in any numbers they like as long as they copy and paste the wiki of their favourite California-based criminal organization. Two different sides of the server are expected to RP to equal yet different standards.

I think a lot of people's problems with Los Santos and it's crime rate wouldn't actually be problems if they just allowed Los Santos to be the hellhole it is IC instead of trying their hardest to demand players RP CALIFORNIA STRICTLY while also not providing an environment resembling anything close to a realistic California to RP in.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
6 hours ago, BINGBONGBALONEY said:

It's funny because it goes to the other thread ("why are people playing to hard"), and the lack of flaws of many characters. Whenever your character does something perfectly realistic BUT stupid - because your character isn't really a genius, or had a bad handling of a situation - it's often OOC'ly described as "bad RP" or "unrealistic" for some reason ^^' And can even lead to admin action. :x 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, shrike. said:

No, this is based on the rules simply allowing us to use murder as conflict resolution method in many situations.

I've just looked it up:

We have a total of 91 words defining our rules (IG 4) regarding "deathmatching".

This doesn't leave a grey zone- it's a blackbox and murder almost always valid (admin discretion reserved).

In contrast, we have no less than 376 words outlining all kind of stuff as "Offensive Roleplay" (IG 9), directly refering further to rules for Sexual Roleplay (IG 19) which encompasses further 560 words.

It's not rocket science to spot only from this discrepance of details what demands more attention from staff, and what's more likely to be sanctioned.

And offensive/sexual roleplay is just one particularly specific example that puts a ridiculous amount of rules towards what I strongly believe a vast majority doesn't aim to portrait anyway.

The same pattern counts for basically all rules applied - with the notable exception of PF license abuse (IG 13), all rules are more detailed than deathmatching.

Naturally, this gives admins more ground to enforce them in any other situation but alleged deathmatching (again, admin discretion reserved- but these exceptions state the rules, they do not make them!)

If I conduct a robbery, there's a whole lot of things I can possibly do wrong simply by the exactly outlined rules for this specific criminal activity.

With murder, I can't really ever be wrong as long as I got this tiny a reason.

Edited by knppel
3 hours ago, knppel said:

It's not rocket science to spot only from this discrepance of details what demands more attention from staff, and what's more likely to be sanctioned.

And offensive/sexual roleplay is just one particularly specific example that puts a ridiculous amount of rules towards what I strongly believe a vast majority doesn't aim to portrait anyway.

Just wanting to note that this rule is long because the stuff you mention nobody would portray? It happened 😛 

So admins added amendments upon amendments to those rules, that were originally pretty short. You' be surprised at the messed up shit people do ^^'' 

3 hours ago, knppel said:

With murder, I can't really ever be wrong as long as I got this tiny a reason.

It's true though that legitimate reasons to kill are sometimes really weird, and CK perms seem to be handed out like candy sometimes :x 

You see the reasons that are approved, there are some, not even a hardened criminal would think it's remotely reasonable :x