Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

39 minutes ago, Laird Mayhew said:

They're ignoring the posts that refute the "you don't fight a gun" argument. I'm still waiting on a response from last night lol 😁

Just Youtube it. Seems to be what everyone uses to justify their argument. I can find 10 videos in 10 minutes of people who weren't afraid of a gun in their face during a robbery. Interesting how it's always punishable non-fear consequences on the victim's part, but never on the criminal who's taking the risk to rob someone at gunpoint.

They also don't address what most people tend to do when they see gun in a hostile situation - run away.

Do that here? It's a quick punishment for breaking the rules and a mandatory CK, because apparently becoming panicked and running away in fear is somehow not fear RP.

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

They also don't address what most people tend to do when they see gun in a hostile situation - run away.

Do that here? It's a quick punishment for breaking the rules and a mandatory CK, because apparently becoming panicked and running away in fear is somehow not fear RP.

Yep and they wonder why people are so quick to stay inside and stick to their clicks. 

4 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

most people run away when they have a gun pointed at them? i think you played too much gta V single player cause thats not how it is in real life, respectfully

9 hours ago, Pádraig said:

there's also thousands of videos of people shrugging off tazers and cops 😉

And I'd agree with the tasers having a failure chance if we had a way to tackle a player but as it is a 14 year old hitman can run through 20 cops and we have no way of grabbing him and wrestling him to the ground.

As long as that limitation exists, the usage of tazers and beanbags should be unperturbed.

22 minutes ago, TX said:

most people run away when they have a gun pointed at them? i think you played too much gta V single player cause thats not how it is in real life, respectfully

We've long established that "real life" isn't what the criminal community wants from GTAW. If you want though, I'm all for a law enforcement response to the current crime rates that is along the lines of what is done in "real life".

That said, yes, people panic and run away when they see someone approaching with a gun. Fear has driven people to jump from bridges to avoid the risk of being shot, because it's much, MUCH easier for the bad guy to shoot you if you stand still.

• Upvote 3

I think GTA World's (community's) take on the "real-life" argument can be summed up to this:

*Something is convenient, because realism:

"This is a heavy RP server, this is good, we should push for more realism like this!!"

*Minor inconvenience happens, because realism:

"Acshually, we're playing a game, there's no need for that much realism!!!11"

I'm going on a tangent here, but the problem for a lot is inherently change. It's not even a legal/illegal RP thing. Both sides are equally guilty of pushing away interesting gameplay mechanics because they're mildly inconvenienced by change in general if it doesn't benefit them immediately. We're playing in a world that is supposed to be influenced by real life, but stays very fictional nonetheless. But, people here truthfully don't like change all that much. Look at LC, it's been said time and time again that the playerbase plummeted because of the lack of guns. If that's true, then it's such a waste of potential for other RP that could be happening.

It's almost as if a decent chunk of the playerbase is here for the DM aspect of the server, finding a way to deliver just the right amount of "RP" so that they can find a way to escalate situations or get themselves in shitty situations in order to shoot other people and get shot at in a way or another, whether that's through a legal or illegal character (because, apparently legal and illegal RP are supposedly vastly different somehow?).

The problem isn't even the shooting part in my opinion, shooting is fun. This problem also applies to assets, cars, properties, money. Whatever. The problem is what's supposed to come in-between, before and after it, the RP quality, the lack of character development, etc. You know the phrase "It's not that deep"? Yeah, that's what a lot of interactions feel like these days.

So much potential for other avenues of RP. Look at recent events -- The wild fires, the ongoing serial killer, the past violent riots and protests - Things that could drastically change things, and influence future RP. Yet, whenever something happens, it's immediately back to "Okay let's just pretend that never happened." - Back to the same thing.

• Upvote 5
1 hour ago, Mistery14 said:

I think GTA World's (community's) take on the "real-life" argument can be summed up to this:

*Something is convenient, because realism:

"This is a heavy RP server, this is good, we should push for more realism like this!!"

*Minor inconvenience happens, because realism:

"Acshually, we're playing a game, there's no need for that much realism!!!11"

I'm going on a tangent here, but the problem for a lot is inherently change. It's not even a legal/illegal RP thing. Both sides are equally guilty of pushing away interesting gameplay mechanics because they're mildly inconvenienced by change in general if it doesn't benefit them immediately. We're playing in a world that is supposed to be influenced by real life, but stays very fictional nonetheless. But, people here truthfully don't like change all that much. Look at LC, it's been said time and time again that the playerbase plummeted because of the lack of guns. If that's true, then it's such a waste of potential for other RP that could be happening.

It's almost as if a decent chunk of the playerbase is here for the DM aspect of the server, finding a way to deliver just the right amount of "RP" so that they can find a way to escalate situations or get themselves in shitty situations in order to shoot other people and get shot at in a way or another, whether that's through a legal or illegal character (because, apparently legal and illegal RP are supposedly vastly different somehow?).

The problem isn't even the shooting part in my opinion, shooting is fun. This problem also applies to assets, cars, properties, money. Whatever. The problem is what's supposed to come in-between, before and after it, the RP quality, the lack of character development, etc. You know the phrase "It's not that deep"? Yeah, that's what a lot of interactions feel like these days.

So much potential for other avenues of RP. Look at recent events -- The wild fires, the ongoing serial killer, the past violent riots and protests - Things that could drastically change things, and influence future RP. Yet, whenever something happens, it's immediately back to "Okay let's just pretend that never happened." - Back to the same thing.

I was writing like 3-4 paragraphs regarding my opinion on the state of the server and the state of this thread, but I decided to scrap it instead lol. I already spoke too much here, and everyone already spoken their opinion which get repeated each time (indicating that these are not unpopular). I'll disregard this thread from now on. I don't see nerbus or management chiming in to clarify or decide what the server want to be.

In summary, what do you want the community to be, nerbus? half-assing or taking the RP aspect seriously? You can't expect players to be realistic when they want to lease/buy something but then allow everyone and their mother to act like the city is a racetrack. That's half-assing and you see that your players are doing the same thing.

Might be unpopular opinion:

Those advertisements about the serial killer radio station totally killed my immersion and seems "reaching" too much. Feels like a social media rather than an advertisement platform.

Edited by varthshenon