Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

3 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

Hm.

What if we established a hard upper limit on how much a character can have before they can no longer rob people for script assets? Obviously if you have a hundred thousand, you don't need to take anything from your victims, so just conduct the robberies for the sake of roleplaying the encounter and stealing purely imaginary non-script possessions.

You seem to be missing the point. Money in character's bank account are not used, simply because how am I going to explain, that my beach meth addict who was kicked out of school for drugs and fights and then kicked out of his home, is having an actual bank account? These kinda criminals operate with cash, money in hand/inventory is their asset count actually. Plus whatever beaten up car or skateboard or BMX they may have. Sure some have houses or apartments, but this is kinda more of an economy issue, cause even addicts who have nothing but debts irl usually live somewhere. So basically while I may have something to 100k in assets I only work with what I have in my inventory or stashed in apartment. Even IF some characters use "cashapps", for apps like PaysafeCard, you still need cash for such character to buy the code. Which is why they do robberies, most of what they take goes to shotcallers or drugs, so they don't get to keep much of it. I am talking about roleplay ofc, not blatant OOC gun grabs. Least but not last, I made a mistake, cause sometimes you just HAVE TO use ooc assets, buying a lockpick would've been impossible at most of times for people living from hand to mouth.

Edited by Engelbert
4 hours ago, Engelbert said:

You seem to be missing the point. Money in character's bank account are not used, simply because how am I going to explain

You're also missing a very important here:

This only works one way, i.e. I can rp not having money ic which I've actually bunkered up (regardless wherefrom it stems).

I can't just go ahead and not rp my bank account if it's empty

11 minutes ago, knppel said:

You're also missing a very important here:

This only works one way, i.e. I can rp not having money ic which I've actually bunkered up (regardless wherefrom it stems).

I can't just go ahead and not rp my bank account if it's empty

Depends on concept portrayal really.

Okay okay let me rephrase it was much harder to act rich without money than it is acting poorly with money, boo-yah

Thus, unpopular opinion of the day, that should be more rewarded than acting poor

Edited by knppel
37 minutes ago, knppel said:

Okay okay let me rephrase it was much harder to act rich without money than it is acting poorly with money, boo-yah

Thus, unpopular opinion of the day, that should be more rewarded than acting poor

Well, that goes without saying. I merely said, that having a full bank account doesn't have to be necessary for one's portrayal. Especially if they are portraying a character that's pretty low on social ladder. Rich people actually need all the money the can get for proper portrayal. Maybe not as much when they have successful business(es).

But buying a business and having it for few days, doesn't count as having a successful business. Whereas poor character can pretty much ignore their bank account and only use it when oocly necessary, cause not every likes to roleplay buying clothes or tattoos.

8 hours ago, Engelbert said:

You seem to be missing the point. Money in character's bank account are not used, simply because how am I going to explain, that my beach meth addict who was kicked out of school for drugs and fights and then kicked out of his home, is having an actual bank account? These kinda criminals operate with cash, money in hand/inventory is their asset count actually. Plus whatever beaten up car or skateboard or BMX they may have. Sure some have houses or apartments, but this is kinda more of an economy issue, cause even addicts who have nothing but debts irl usually live somewhere. So basically while I may have something to 100k in assets I only work with what I have in my inventory or stashed in apartment. Even IF some characters use "cashapps", for apps like PaysafeCard, you still need cash for such character to buy the code. Which is why they do robberies, most of what they take goes to shotcallers or drugs, so they don't get to keep much of it. I am talking about roleplay ofc, not blatant OOC gun grabs. Least but not last, I made a mistake, cause sometimes you just HAVE TO use ooc assets, buying a lockpick would've been impossible at most of times for people living from hand to mouth.

No.

If you have a large bank account OOC, you have no excuse to add someone else's script money to your own. Focus on the roleplay and resort to stealing money from others only when you legitimately can not pull the script money from your own account.

It's not impossible. I've met people that initiate robberies purely for the roleplay. Those are the people that typically find a debit card with a fifty thousand dollar withdrawal limit, whereas the people who prioritize script money get a whopping zero dollars for their troubles.

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

No.

If you have a large bank account OOC, you have no excuse to add someone else's script money to your own. Focus on the roleplay and resort to stealing money from others only when you legitimately can not pull the script money from your own account.

It's not impossible. I've met people that initiate robberies purely for the roleplay. Those are the people that typically find a debit card with a fifty thousand dollar withdrawal limit, whereas the people who prioritize script money get a whopping zero dollars for their troubles.

You think street gangs have large amount of ooc money sitting somewhere? Not really, these people usually use their 200k 40hrs paychecks on getting an apartment in a area they wanna rp in and on some car and a gun or drugs. That's it. They are not sitting on those money. Then gangs in less developed areas are not fraud rings, they pull out literal scraps, they are left with meager reward while their shotcallers waste money on hookers or strippers in big clubs. The street soldiers (teens in most cases) are expendable assests  for them, usually kept under control by drugs or false promises about helping their families. Literally what I do, is I receive a batch to sell. A higher up says how much he wants for it. I sell it, I get to him with the money, he puts some aside for me and that's it. My character needs to eat and sleep and needs drugs, so in the end I am left with nothing.

Not to mention situations when you lose your merchandise. They won't care how you lost it, they want their money back, where you get them? Robbery, breakin, car breakin, pickpocketing...People don't do it because they are bored, well maybe some do, but once I actually gave it a try and ventured from legal civ down to street crime roleplay, I noticed it's not really in a good shape. It's tainted by people oocly grabbing guns to get rich. Those who genuinely roleplay people living from hand to mouth are looked down upon cause of it. My char has a bmx? Yes cause he stole it. He has nike sneakers? Yes cause he stole them.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Upvote 3