Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

9 hours ago, ZaE said:

ah yes..lets not only make ttcf barely active, lets also make it miserable 

Wouldn't decrease activity, as the people that are already there will be there. However, it'd have more people inside of it.

On 5/5/2022 at 3:34 AM, BINGBONGBALONEY said:

Why can't criminal characters be considered unique? Being "criminal" can range from j-walkers and tax evaders to full blown serial killers, there's a lot of room in that bracket for unique. Hell, you played a notorious criminal. 

Unpopular opinion: Just because something is unique doesn't mean it's not shit.

I'm not saying that criminal characters can not be considered unique. I'm saying that these we have today are not unique or portrayed well. 

15 minutes ago, Zorbe said:

I'm not saying that criminal characters can not be considered unique. I'm saying that these we have today are not unique or portrayed well. 

That might be true if your only experience with current illegal RP is through forum reports and cherry picked examples on the forums, IG outside of the forum's echo chamber however there's a ton of players playing unique and extremely well portrayed criminals.

I'm not gonna sit here and say illegal AND/OR legal RP is perfect, it can be pretty shoddy on both sides of the spectrum (which says a lot about how stupid separating players by illegal/legal is) but illegal RP and criminal characters as a whole are not nearly as bad as your biases are telling you. Illegal RP and criminal characters range from petty addicts running palm reading scams to mass murderers who end bloodlines for cash, that's a MASSIVE margin for what can be considered a criminal character and it's narrow minded of you to put everybody who plays criminals in the same bubble off what I'm assuming is nostalgia for the past. 

Unpopular opinion: Fear RP needs to be revisited. It's probably not going to be a suggestion because it's most likely not going to change as it facilitates gameplay before all.

Nonetheless, point blank, face-to-face robbery victims should be able to choose to defend themselves.

A gun is a gun, there's no changing the amount of damage it's going to do to you if you're shot. Having the barrel of a live firearm pointed at you is scary (understatement) and there's no denying that. No matter how big or tough one may seem to be, they're going to need to change their underwear after an encounter like that.

But fight or flight is real. It affects everyone of any build, age, or experience to varying degrees. It can cause a person to also freeze in place because of the initial shock once the brain has processed the threat - Anyways, unless that person physically doesn't have receptors for these, they're going to react in three of those ways. Freeze, fight, flight. (You can also faint, but we don't want people to start doing /ragdoll every time they see someone getting slapped).

So yeah, before I start writing a bible, I'll cut to the chase and say that I think people should be able to react how they want to react to such threats. At the end of the day, It's their conscious choice as players, and subconscious choice as characters. A gun is terrifying to be on the receiving end of, but it shouldn't be an excuse to allow borderline powergame (Which is quite literally forcing your actions upon another player and forcing one specific outcome that benefits you). - People should be allowed to rob as many people as they want, it's their choice and I don't complain about robberies at all, it's fun RP if done right, but robberies don't always succeed, and victims should also be able to defend themselves or flee if they do so reasonably and don't powergame. Especially in Los Santos. It's not Care Bear town, man.

It'd allow characters to develop and adapt to their own environment better instead of keeping this forceful linearity in that sort of RP. Someone who's been in the same situation enough times is never going to have the same reaction.

Edited by Mistery14
41 minutes ago, Mistery14 said:

Unpopular opinion: Fear RP needs to be revisited. It's probably not going to be a suggestion because it's most likely not going to change as it facilitates gameplay before all.

Nonetheless, point blank, face-to-face robbery victims should be able to choose to defend themselves.

A gun is a gun, there's no changing the amount of damage it's going to do to you if you're shot. Having the barrel of a live firearm pointed at you is scary (understatement) and there's no denying that. No matter how big or tough one may seem to be, they're going to need to change their underwear after an encounter like that.

But fight or flight is real. It affects everyone of any build, age, or experience to varying degrees. It can cause a person to also freeze in place because of the initial shock once the brain has processed the threat - Anyways, unless that person physically doesn't have receptors for these, they're going to react in three of those ways. Freeze, fight, flight. (You can also faint, but we don't want people to start doing /ragdoll every time they see someone getting slapped).

So yeah, before I start writing a bible, I'll cut to the chase and say that I think people should be able to react how they want to react to such threats. At the end of the day, It's their conscious choice as players, and subconscious choice as characters. A gun is terrifying to be on the receiving end of, but it shouldn't be an excuse to allow borderline powergame (Which is quite literally forcing your actions upon another player and forcing one specific outcome that benefits you). - People should be allowed to rob as many people as they want, it's their choice and I don't complain about robberies at all, it's fun RP if done right, but robberies don't always succeed, and victims should also be able to defend themselves or flee if they do so reasonably and don't powergame. Especially in Los Santos. It's not Care Bear town, man.

It'd allow characters to develop and adapt to their own environment better instead of keeping this forceful linearity in that sort of RP. Someone who's been in the same situation enough times is never going to have the same reaction.

I was in several robberies as victim. Only effect it had, that I started ignoring the aftermath. As soon as robbers leave, I buy new phone apply custom number, event forgotten. Also one more thing. You are roleplaying, your character's choice should be your choice and not vice versa. A fragile woman's choice will only hardly be pulling out a gun and start blasting.

Edited by Engelbert
2 hours ago, Mistery14 said:

I'd be perfectly fine with unlimited robberies whenever and wherever if fear rp rules were changed to allow running away without being opened to a CK. Panic doesn't always translate to freezing, and robberies wouldn't be so prolific to begin with if they needed more consideration to pull off (such as choosing locations where the victim can be cornered).

But criminals don't want a challenge, so we'll be stuck with crime restricted zones forever...

56 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

I'd be perfectly fine with unlimited robberies whenever and wherever if fear rp rules were changed to allow running away without being opened to a CK. Panic doesn't always translate to freezing, and robberies wouldn't be so prolific to begin with if they needed more consideration to pull off (such as choosing locations where the victim can be cornered).

But criminals don't want a challenge, so we'll be stuck with crime restricted zones forever...

But bro it wouldnt be fun if the civvies fought back in a harsh enviorment!!!!

On a serious note though, I understand why the rules are in place because if they weren't, we'd have everyone knowing Krav Maga trying to disarm the robbers, so there needs to be a bit of balance if there is a fighting chance.

1 hour ago, DasFroggy said:

good idea on paper but, like @Wolfhound said, the rule is in place for the cat ear ninjas

3 hours ago, AlphaBatal said:

heres an unpopular and esoteric one; force characters to age up as part of their sentence so we dont have 16 year old teens with 2 capital murders under their belt

i thought this was already a thing

Edited by ZaE
  • Upvote 1