Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

Was Dep Chief of SFM. 

On the LEO stuff? You're simply not allowed as LFM did not want you interrupting PD roleplay. Even basic 'patrol' was frowned up. There's a reason SFM used to be primarily alt characters because the leash was pulled tightly.

I was the one that requested the watch-towers for SFM to have firewatch as a thing so they could actually do some patrolling and not just respond to arsons / paperwork generators for businesses. I definitely agree there was a huge missed opportunity to not make the scope larger for SFM, but again, that's not the Chief - that was LFM pulling the reigns.

Here's the issue - if you approach SFM instantly off the bat as aggressive like 90% of players do? They're not going to treat you kindly in return because you've essentially ruined their RP for the sake of your character being pissed off at people simply doing their job. Can't tell you how many businesses I went to where we were just insulted instantly when trying to engage in pretty chill and friendly RP. Nearly every single inspection we were met with hostility for simply doing a job. Try show a little courtesy to the people who really enjoy SFM roleplay and maybe don't shit on them for just merely existing. They want to have fun, just as much as you and can actually provide you with a cool little experience if you play along with them.

Most people you find in SFM and LSFD are incredibly knowledgeable about their roleplay. The same can be said with LSFD medical scenes, if you take the time to actually engage with these roleplayers and not just see them as something in the way of your roleplay, you'll have a lot better time and maybe learn a little thing or two along the way.

Arsons are primarily the SFM's focus and trust me, there's a lot of them that most people don't know happens. Often SFM are left with very little to work with off with arson scenes and whilst I'm not with them anymore, the people involved actually really care about providing a really authentic experience - it's just people don't give them the time of day to actually -want- to RP with them, so they get forced into their little self-contained bubble.

SFM and LSFD have been a huge missed opportunity, in my opinion, and not through fault of their own. The scope was narrowed too much and the freedom to let these departments actually create something really great to engage with hasn't been awarded to them and they deserve it. SFM and SAPR even briefly discussed a merge of some sorts until that was shut down, to. 

Jordan Wright is a hell of a guy, bringing up his age or whatever is the dumbest shit I've seen because I've seen the difference in where SFM was to where it currently is - just because you don't want to engage with them doesn't mean they don't provide good shit. From where the department was when I was in it to where he's brought it today should be heavily commended. But again, if your concern lies more around his age rather than maybe taking a look at the work he's done and does behind the scenes - that's on you.  

• Upvote 8
  • Applaud 1
39 minutes ago, lux said:

Can't tell you how many businesses I went to where we were just insulted instantly when trying to engage in pretty chill and friendly RP. Nearly every single inspection we were met with hostility for simply doing a job. Try show a little courtesy to the people who really enjoy SFM roleplay and maybe don't shit on them for just merely existing. They want to have fun, just as much as you and can actually provide you with a cool little experience if you play along with them.

Respectfully, isn't this a clear indication that the player base is not interested in what the SFM is there to provide?

Again my point was never that SFM is bad at roleplay or does not know what they are talking about, I'm saying business owners by in large are not interested in this type of RP, yet it is something they must contend with. 

Edited by Dingus
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Respectfully, isn't this a clear indication that the player base is not interested in what the SFM is there to provide?

Again my point was never that SFM is bad at roleplay or does not know what they are talking about, I'm saying business owners by in large are not interested in this type of RP. 

I'm not interested in gangbanger RP, or getting robbed, or getting pulled over by cops.

See why that's not a good argument? I'm a business owner, don't mind me some SFM coming by. I'd rather fill out a small form and deal with SFM than having to give over my cellphone for the 80th time in 2022. I own some mega-sized business properties, my inspections aren't quick in and out things. If you engage with them and actually try to have some fun, they'll give you plenty of opportunities to enjoy the RP. 

Edited by lux
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, lux said:

See why that's not a good argument? I'm a business owner, don't mind me some SFM coming by. I'd rather fill out a small form and deal with SFM than having to give over my cellphone for the 80th time in 2022.

The two are not mutually exclusive and LEO/Criminal RP tend to be the cornerstone of any roleplay community. A massive amount of this servers population relies on these two things.

Again respectfully I cannot say the same thing about SFM. Now if you want to debate about the existence of these other things then that is fine but this is an opinion thread specifically designed for brash opinions, and my opinion is that the RP provided by SFM is not liked by the majority of the community, and I don't believe it's existence is justified as a government faction if so many players have problems with it. 

11 minutes ago, Dingus said:

The two are not mutually exclusive and LEO/Criminal RP tend to be the cornerstone of any roleplay community. A massive amount of this servers population relies on these two things.

Again respectfully I cannot say the same thing about SFM. Now if you want to debate about the existence of these other things then that is fine but this is an opinion thread specifically designed for brash opinions, and my opinion is that the RP provided by SFM is not liked by the majority of the community, and I don't believe it's existence is justified as a government faction if so many players have problems with it. 

But I don't wanna deal with it. So therefore it's bad and should be removed because it inconveniences me. I don't like the cops and robbers aspect of GTA:W, it does not interest me, so please remove them both. I don't want to have to play into some gangbanger fantasy 5 times a week, it's not liked by the majority of the legal community, and I don't believe it's existence is justified when you can just rely on starter paychecks to get your nice car! ..See?

Let people RP what they wanna RP man, if people didn't enjoy SFM, it would cease to exist as no one would want to RP as a member of SFM. Some people actually do like engaging with them, me being one of them. The certifications are the smallest part of SFM and if a business owner cannot set aside 5 minutes to fill in the application and 15 minutes to actually RP with them, then I'd question the business owners priorities. The problems on this server in business RP do not lie with SFM, they lie with shitty business owners that don't care about 'business' roleplay and just feeding their bank accounts and egos.

Hell, give me the IRS so I have something else I need to be concerned about and manage. That's what business RP is, managing your paperwork, products, time, resources, money and staff to provide a good experience to those that come to your business and try to get them to come again. Most large businesses IRL have their own fire officer that has to comply with auditors, we talk about realism so much but right now business RP is in the shed without having more things like SFM to need to manage. Don't take away from those that actually enjoy the full scale management of a business that includes the 'boring' side of things. How many people RP a business person going into debt? Don't think I've ever come across it. SFM are one of the only factions that exist right now that can effectively shut your business down because an owner is inept. That's what we need. Good owners that are on top of shit and not just looking to open a bar to generate an easy income to flex. 

For me, SFM is a cornerstone of my roleplay as a business owner. I get to engage in fire safety and it gives me something else to consider and remember as I am roleplaying a business owner - not a money generator. 

Another reminder? Criminals exist. Arsons exist. People are happy to complain about SFM but when push comes to shove, they're the ones that can actually get you results if your business is hit by some shitty extortion attempt. 

Edited by lux
  • Upvote 3
30 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Again my point was never that SFM is bad at roleplay or does not know what they are talking about, I'm saying business owners by in large are not interested in this type of RP, yet it is something they must contend with. 

Well last time I paid attention, people couldn't choose IF they want to roleplay something or not. If people don't wanna deal with running a business, then they shouldn't apply for one. It's not just me hires bartendedr and sit back counting money. Nopes. You have to take care of said business else it's pointless for people having it.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Applaud 2

The only issue I could have with SFM is that an inspection might require remapping, which is not always a trivial thing depending on the size of the business. On the other hand, I've seen low effort arson RP completely ignore all the mapped in fire protection systems, which I'm sure is equally frustrating for everyone.

1 hour ago, lux said:

Here's the issue - if you approach SFM instantly off the bat as aggressive like 90% of players do? They're not going to treat you kindly in return because you've essentially ruined their RP for the sake of your character being pissed off at people simply doing their job. Can't tell you how many businesses I went to where we were just insulted instantly when trying to engage in pretty chill and friendly RP. Nearly every single inspection we were met with hostility for simply doing a job. Try show a little courtesy to the people who really enjoy SFM roleplay and maybe don't shit on them for just merely existing. They want to have fun, just as much as you and can actually provide you with a cool little experience if you play along with them.

"Why aren't people receptive to the tedious roleplay that I'm forcing them into?"