Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

My (un)popular opinions:

The reason RP standards are low is because many rules are either not clear enough or poorly worded and outdated. People are going to use anything they can to play with technicalities. "Use common sense!" or courtesy doesn't work and cannot properly work as a generalized rule. People are going to play dumb and get away with it whilst knowing fully what they're doing because it gives them an advantage.

Script fights are a norm, scrolling weapons and shooting with no /mes is also the norm and it's actually encouraged to scroll small arms and melee weapons, both of which are light-RP mechanics and not heavy-RP, but it's perfectly fine because it's "just the way it is". Will it ever be changed? One would hope not, as it'd force people to half-ass or bind /mes because they're too used to not having to RP these things.

Characters can never really learn from previous (bad) experiences when it comes to the environment they live in and there's a very fine line between self defense and poor escalation - Poor escalation which shouldn't really be a thing in my opinion in a violent setting such as this one. Los Santos is an unforgiving place. I know the poor escalation rule is there to prevent senseless DM, but then again where is the line between RP and DM when attacks don't require /mes or much of a reason to perform? Here's an example:

A punch is a punch. If someone meant to push me away but does it without a /me and punches me/elbows me in the face script-wise, where does it states that it wasn't a punch and how do I react? Remember, a scripted punch is considered RP. 

Illegal RP's reputation is tarnished and restricting rules have been put in place because of bad apples in a batch of capable people. The same batch of bad apples finds new ways around those rules and more rules will be put in place instead of setting a clear-cut example of expected RP standards in the rules. 

Can't RP a redneck cannibal character using "NPC" Joe Doe victims and set an interesting scene for LEO to investigate over time because the mere prospect of having that is too graphic for an already 18+ rated game set in an apparently dystopian city, yet 15 year old kids can shoot each other in the head with no remorse because kids will be kids and there's ''nothing extreme about that sort of stuff.'' (Don't put words in my mouth on this one. I don't condone any of these. I find some things very contradictory is all).

Lastly, we have a great business system that could be put to much better use if it were handled correctly and more accessible, instead of having a fraction of the server's players having a real influence on the business scene and using that to repeat the same business formula due to IC profit. Looking at you, blips. Those players aren't inhetently bad at all, they're just doing what's logical. I respect them and infact they're doing a good job at utilizing what's available to them. But 600-700 players shouldn't have a handful of bars and clubs as their main destination of choice throughout the whole day, I'd argue that downtime could see a greater increase of players if businesses were more accessible, let alone peak times! But, what do I know. 

Edited by Mistery14
  • Upvote 4
  • Applaud 1
3 hours ago, Mistery14 said:

Can't RP a redneck cannibal character using "NPC" Joe Doe victims and set an interesting scene for LEO to investigate over time because the mere prospect of having that is too graphic for an already 18+ rated game set in an apparently dystopian city, yet 15 year old kids can shoot each other in the head with no remorse because kids will be kids and there's ''nothing extreme about that sort of stuff.'' (Don't put words in my mouth on this one. I don't condone any of these. I find some things very contradictory is all).

I've thought of this before myself too and wondered why. I'd rather have a redneck cannibal who cleans his plate so there's something to investigate, than the dystopian city where kids shoot each other all the time with zero remorse.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jeroen said:

I've thought of this before myself too and wondered why. I'd rather have a redneck cannibal who cleans his plate so there's something to investigate, than the dystopian city where kids shoot each other all the time with zero remorse.

I would honestly love to work with admins to set up such a scene in a random house far within the county using a throwaway character JUST for the purpose of giving some RP that while does take some time to investigate, sticks with LEO chars, something to add to THEIR backstory and not mine.

Unfortunately, realistically I'd have to first make loads, and loads of money to even consider buying that home, money which would be earned by means that would be far out of line with what I'd want my character to be, then once I have the money I would have to put up a request for buying and owning a specific property that most definitely has a lot of other applicants, then wait for that same property ownership to be either declined/accepted, if it succeeds, then, only then would I be able to set up some sort of scene, which, again, couldn't resemble any of the aforementioned examples, even using John Doe NPC victims. Because it's too extreme for the server.

Therefore I'd get a-jailed/banned and probably publicly shamed with a lengthy red-text describing in detail the rule I've breached, and people would go all:

/b lmao good thing X is gone, bro, why tf would you do that it's fucked up

And then proceed to:

lmao.thumb.jpg.84663fd302b5c4b0e6fa33f16809d492.jpg

Of course the above is a joke taking a light jab at the irony of the situation, don't take it seriously. But it goes to show that while yeah, there sure are some things that should never be roleplayed at all and it should stay that way, on this server, (we all know what and why) - Thing is, offensive roleplay is very broad and as it goes with any rule, people have to use common sense not to break those rules as well.

But then "using common sense" for "offensive" material goes into all sorts of implications and you'd have to look into individual perspectives in order to really know who might find what offensive. And that's just not possible. You can't NOT have offensive material on your server no matter how hard you try.

Again, look at that "joke" picture again an examine it. It implies Player 1 knows that Player 2 has a glock. Player 1 is going to possibly rob and then murder player 2 for said glock because the glock is a valuable asset. That's chilling behavior from someone to have. But it's something that, in the right circumstances would be allowed on the server. Yet, why wouldn't that be considered as potential offensive roleplay? Is it because it's mainstream violence? If that's the case there are much more graphic mainstream examples of violence on TV, series, hell - Even within the GTA V game itself.

There's no real final point to it all but to clarify if that's of any concern, I certainly don't want people to walk around munching away on other people's arms IC, but it's thought-provoking and just interesting to talk about IMO.

Edited by Mistery14
  • Applaud 1

that people who normally complain about gang and / or other illegal faction roleplayers with huge paragraphs are usually the subpar roleplayers in-game. they probably tried to join one and didn't do their research or get robbed by one and held a grudge instead of seeing it for what it is.

Edited by Narcan
  • Upvote 2

And really, what is it then? My only criticism about gangs, is that people never look around before creating one and, that they always push their own lore into an established area. So what if it's empty now? There was gang few weeks ago, so other gang couldn't have been there since 90s. This goes especially for housing complexes.

Edited by Engelbert
14 hours ago, Mistery14 said:

This is what I meant when I was talking about it days ago, you can blow someone's head off with a shotgun, smear their brains all over the floor and wall and wipe a whole block of gangsters which is not offensive but when you want to do something more detailed things change, ayyy, what if it changes, a game where there is prostitution, murder, drugs, domestic violence, etc, and they limit you to doing the same things, innovate? what's that?

Underage adapting the server instead of underage adapting to the server.

10 hours ago, Narcan said:

that people who normally complain about gang and / or other illegal faction roleplayers with huge paragraphs are usually the subpar roleplayers in-game. they probably tried to join one and didn't do their research or get robbed by one and held a grudge instead of seeing it for what it is.

And you're right, lot of people don't have the right idea about what a gang should be - They look at media and only see what media wants them to see, sensationalized violence, guns, drugs, etc. No yeah, sure, it happens and that's why it's shown in the news in the first place. My point is gangs aren't all about that and if you want to know where gangs emerged in the industrial age you'd have to look far back into the 1800s. Sure, the modern terminology of gangs is no longer defining the same as the 19th century gangs, but it's essentially the same principle nonetheless.

The modern depiction of what you'd call urban gangs (in America, some other countries had them as well) really starts in the late 1960s, but how many people know that? A lot of people just work with what they see in pop culture and don't bother to look at the history of it and thus there's no deeper meaning to them.

Gangs should focus more on helping their community, times change, the drug epidemic in America is still a thing, drugs still provide a ton of profit, don't get me wrong, but helping the community is something that should be more prevalent with gangs, most OGs moved on and want to help the kids get out of that life, people are becoming more informed thanks to the internet, progresses in education, etc. But on the server, the reason you don't see civilian RP in most gang neighborhoods in-game is because some gangs will even attack their own locals, because every bit of profit helps. I'm not saying every gang is like that, again. Just stating a few observations.

I've seen both the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to gangs and illegal RP. But I still hold high hopes for that RP, I like illegal RP and what it can be. No RP is truly "Superior" than the other, there are good and bad roleplayers everywhere, same applies to legal RP. I'd even argue there shouldn't be a separation of legal and illegal. But at the end of the day it's a game and you can't possibly have everyone having a perfect understanding of what they're roleplaying.

2 hours ago, Jennie said:

This is what I meant when I was talking about it days ago, you can blow someone's head off with a shotgun, smear their brains all over the floor and wall and wipe a whole block of gangsters which is not offensive but when you want to do something more detailed things change, ayyy, what if it changes, a game where there is prostitution, murder, drugs, domestic violence, etc, and they limit you to doing the same things, innovate? what's that?

Underage adapting the server instead of underage adapting to the server.

Unfortunately that last statement is true as well.

I'm not going to say that players under 18 years old should be kicked out of the server. That's unrealistic, and, I myself would've been pretty pissed off back when I was 14-16 for being kicked out of a server because of my age, because I'll be honest, I was already familiar with that sort of content, be it erotic or violent material in the first place - Again, it's  game, and I could tell the difference between a game and reality, it didn't turn me into a senseless sociopath - Show me a real-life graphic video and I'll be sick to my stomach and feel sorry for whoever is experiencing it. I understand that this is not true for everyone, and while, I think it'd be best if we only had adult players for heaps of reasons, it's just not feasible.

I know a lot of people would say that the underage player "problem" could be solved by an entry questionnaire like "Are you over than 18?" but I see this as bringing more harm than good. Because if that's the case you're going to have a player base that's essentially allegedly over 18, while in reality a lot of minors are going to claim they are over 18 with no way of proving they actually are. You can imagine the kinds of problems I'm hinting at and that's not something anyone would never want to see happen. At least I hope not.

But unfortunately we here have a server that contradicts itself and is in turn eating its own tail. We allow underage players to play here on a server and game that is already violent and contains sexual material in nature and claim to want to protect them at all costs - This is valid. Again, I am completely behind the idea of protecting minors from explicit content. But that is ultimately not up to me, nor to the server to take care of - Tell you the honest brutal truth? It's up to the parent(s) to do that job. Whether or not said parents take care of it is a whole other issue.

Why is the server eating its own tail? Because, underage players are effectively already able to bypass the same rules meant to protect them by simply remaining silent and making an adult character and never say a word about their age, which allows them to be exposed to all sorts of content no one wants them to be exposed to.

So what are we supposed to do? Ban Erotic RP from happening altogether no matter who does it? Ban any and every form of violence? It would sure as hell fix most of the problem. But is it realistic and would it be well received by everyone? Sure as hell wouldn't be.

Edited by Mistery14
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1