Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

2 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

GTAW simply doesn't need the text emote fights of other games like WoW or ESO or whatever. You can use the mechanics of the game to have a fistfight or a shootout.

Quite frankly, no one likes watching a 30 minute emote fight that would realistically end in a few seconds in real life. GTAW allows fights to end fast enough that it doesn't bog down RP.

Imagine a RP fight going 5-10 minutes, people would either have to pause around it, or the cops would arrive before 2 punches were thrown and then what? It's just awkward and doesn't work.

Oh I totally understand and agree with that, GTA:W doesn't need paragraphs upon paragraphs of RP for a simple fist fight, but what it does need in my opinion is at the very least an exchange from both parties. 

The simple fact of a mutual /me exchange makes it a better experience imo. It's less of a "Hey everyone is a punching bag/wallet/target practice" and more of a "Oh, shit. I'm doing that to human beings."

But yeah, not everything is about combat and the same thing could be said for other situations. 

13 hours ago, Mistery14 said:

Oh I totally understand and agree with that, GTA:W doesn't need paragraphs upon paragraphs of RP for a simple fist fight, but what it does need in my opinion is at the very least an exchange from both parties. 

The simple fact of a mutual /me exchange makes it a better experience imo. It's less of a "Hey everyone is a punching bag/wallet/target practice" and more of a "Oh, shit. I'm doing that to human beings."

But yeah, not everything is about combat and the same thing could be said for other situations. 

It's still a text server, so least out of common courtesy people should give others some space to respond before spamming the attack button.

Edited by Engelbert
Just now, Engelbert said:

It's still a text server, so least out of common courtesy people should give others some space to respond before spamming the attack button.

Exactly. So many situations could get much more interesting with even just a few lines of text added to them.

1 hour ago, kartoffel said:

the problem with actually rping a fist fight is that people suddenly turn into bruce lee, dodging every attack and doing nasty roundhouse kicks or w/e, thats why people rely on the script cause then it's at least fair. more or less

idk how they do it nowadays but back in the day we'd roll or flipcoin our attacks and whoever landed like 5-10 attacks wins, then you can do roundhouse kicks and be bruce lee all you want, you might not hit it lol

the mechanical fighting in 5 is also just dodging constantly, if you swing first you're fucked, fucked and fucked again, i hate it

8 minutes ago, hentai! said:

idk how they do it nowadays but back in the day we'd roll or flipcoin our attacks and whoever landed like 5-10 attacks wins, then you can do roundhouse kicks and be bruce lee all you want, you might not hit it lol

the mechanical fighting in 5 is also just dodging constantly, if you swing first you're fucked, fucked and fucked again, i hate it

only pussies spam the spacebar while fighting. and tbh i don't fw this whole flipcoin shit when it comes to fighting, u should just be realistic and also give ur opponent some chances. if 2 regular dudes, one is 5'8" and 100lbs and the other one's 6'3" with like 215lbs this should also be taken into consideration imo, so this coin shit is kind of unfair as well. it all comes down to how good u rp, if u willing to take L's. most people won't even bother, that's why most just do "/me rushes." and spam R

52 minutes ago, kartoffel said:

only pussies spam the spacebar while fighting. and tbh i don't fw this whole flipcoin shit when it comes to fighting, u should just be realistic and also give ur opponent some chances. if 2 regular dudes, one is 5'8" and 100lbs and the other one's 6'3" with like 215lbs this should also be taken into consideration imo, so this coin shit is kind of unfair as well. it all comes down to how good u rp, if u willing to take L's. most people won't even bother, that's why most just do "/me rushes." and spam R

I really don't think coin flipping belongs in GTA:W fights either, nor should fights be entirely done through detailed /me's, it does get boring.

But I just hope people could at least make that stuff a little more interesting by having some escalation beforehand like, someone being pushed with a /me or whatever and then the other reacting with an RP'd punch if they want, something that makes the two mutually burst out in a script fight from two /me's as opposed to a weak unannounced script sucker-punch while someone types to chip away the most health they can just to win and prove that they're good at fist fighting in a game.

It's all about getting the most OOC advantage tbh, same with a lot of other things that should be RP'd and I have no idea why some things like some guns and knives are fine to scroll just because animations and /ame's are tied to them, are some people too lazy to give a single RP line on a heavy-RP server or what?

Say a dude /me's getting their gun out from afar, if your char spots him, why shouldn't you be able to respond to what you see with a /me to them before they rush to you? It's the definition of forcing your actions on another player if you're allowed to have someone be physically incapable of doing anything but comply to you as soon as you scroll that weapon out in their general vicinity, and if they /me anything in return other than dying or being robbed, it's a lack of fear RP. It blows my mind how contradictory this powergaming rule is when it allows the very same thing it supposedly condemns.

How can you be fearful when you didn't even get the time to process what's happening OOC'ly, let alone be allowed the time for your character to react to what's happening to them because by that time you're either dead or having your pockets ran. I could have a gun on me, but why does that matter when the guy weapon scrolled 20 ft away and ran towards me in 1.2 seconds with no room for me to RP seeing that happen?

Would I be allowed to just weapon scroll and shoot them immediately in self-defense if that's the case? Because you bet that's what most would do if they had a piece too, where do you draw the line between DM and RP? Sure there's the reason behind shooting/being shot, but aside from that what makes it any different from a light RP server?

Edited by Mistery14
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, DLimit said:

All of my best fights were "/me" fights. It felt immersive and detailed, rather than OOC-based, and actually had a decent outcome that made sense according to the conditions of both characters.

Script fights ae boring and lazy.

Seriously, I love actually getting to roleplay fighting. I did a lot of script fighting, but it's rare to come across someone that knows how to fight IRL so it's always nice being able to challenge each other in that sense. 

20 hours ago, kartoffel said:

The thing is… Almost everyone rps 6 foot 200+ lbs of “muscle”