Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

19 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Deputies should be forced to R.P. 5 hours a month within TTCF, again.

Jail faction with a small patrol division btw. In all seriousness, if we can't have SD be active enough in TTCF to provide consistent RP for inmates, maybe we need a faction specifically dedicated to it? DOC was active enough in SACF on LSRP, all Ima say.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Illusory said:

DOC was active enough in SACF on LSRP, all Ima say.

So-so. It has always been a very small, nieche faction and there has been periods where the faction simply lacked manpower as a whole - barely able to have more than 1-2 people on-duty during peak hours. Making a seperate jail/prison faction may seem like a solution, but it opens up equally as many problems as it supposedly solves.

1 hour ago, Illusory said:

Jail faction with a small patrol division btw. In all seriousness, if we can't have SD be active enough in TTCF to provide consistent RP for inmates, maybe we need a faction specifically dedicated to it? DOC was active enough in SACF on LSRP, all Ima say.

pretty sure that was the original plan for sd. and then it was like "naw, jk. that jail boring as hell. i can't believe y'all fell for that."

11 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

pretty sure that was the original plan for sd. and then it was like "naw, jk. that jail boring as hell. i can't believe y'all fell for that."

It was. Things change though and I get that. I was in DOC on LSRP twice and have RPed lifer characters for hundreds of hours. The SACF environment versus the TTCF environment aren't even in the same ballpark and I'd just like to see that again. If dedicating a small group of people specifically to the jail would help that? I'm all for it; whether it's a dedicated unit in SD (ik this already exists) or a DOC faction then lets do it

21 minutes ago, Illusory said:

It was. Things change though and I get that. I was in DOC on LSRP twice and have RPed lifer characters for hundreds of hours. The SACF environment versus the TTCF environment aren't even in the same ballpark and I'd just like to see that again. If dedicating a small group of people specifically to the jail would help that? I'm all for it; whether it's a dedicated unit in SD (ik this already exists) or a DOC faction then lets do it

There is a culture issue on the server where people who don't want to be in jail but like to be criminals, see jail as an OOC punishment. And nobody has said what should've been said "If you play fuck fuck games, you win fuck fuck prizes." and jail or prison is that prize. And they get in and just name change, get right back out there playing the same characters with a different name. Not everyone does that, of course. But there's a lot who do. As long as that culture is allowed to exist, then there will never be a decent jail population. Couple that with the notion that if you stay outta trouble for X amount of time regardless of how many people you've murdered but don't quite have enough points to go to jail for life, your points tick down over time to nothing, and if you're active in jail, your time ticks down faster (I think. I know it did for a while). 

So you can't have a dedicated faction, if that's the case. Only people who want to RP lifers will RP lifers. People who get sentenced to life in prison that didn't start there, they don't wanna be lifers. And for them, it's easier to just name change. A faction can't function in that environment.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
2 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

There is a culture issue

The same existed on lsrp though- I've seen people namechange over hilarious -read: sad- reasons, being jailed one of the more "reasonable" if we take in account many concepts just rely on not being caught, but comitting criminal acts frequently.

"Unscripted" arrests were not the only cause for this, of course- just as many people nc'd over not getting their desired pat on the head from the underboss in time, some did so they could "rightfully" rp infamous characters as nobodys they never met when encountering them (yes really, lol. anyone remember Chelsea Luft?).

These people then raged very hard when learning her name again and realizing they "wasted" money. 🤣

In specific for prison there is one core difference in the rules and game design:

In lsrp the prison timer did not go down unless one was logged in the game (on this very jailed character, obviously).

As not everyone's just self-inserting and ready to namechange and do the same stuff over and over, a vast majority of people thus served their time (even if many afk'd it if not bothered ic by something in jail)- as they wanted to continue to play their character, in freedom, which required to serve time.

9 hours ago, knppel said:

The same existed on lsrp though- I've seen people namechange over hilarious -read: sad- reasons, being jailed one of the more "reasonable" if we take in account many concepts just rely on not being caught, but comitting criminal acts frequently.

"Unscripted" arrests were not the only cause for this, of course- just as many people nc'd over not getting their desired pat on the head from the underboss in time, some did so they could "rightfully" rp infamous characters as nobodys they never met when encountering them (yes really, lol. anyone remember Chelsea Luft?).

These people then raged very hard when learning her name again and realizing they "wasted" money. 🤣

In specific for prison there is one core difference in the rules and game design:

In lsrp the prison timer did not go down unless one was logged in the game (on this very jailed character, obviously).

As not everyone's just self-inserting and ready to namechange and do the same stuff over and over, a vast majority of people thus served their time (even if many afk'd it if not bothered ic by something in jail)- as they wanted to continue to play their character, in freedom, which required to serve time.

Right. It's the same, because - and hold on to your hat for this one. It's the same people. Which is obvious in the way they worship the very thought of the good old days, and want to replicate it in every detail.

It doesn't make it correct. The culture was bad then, and it's still bad now.

I agree, I don't think that jail should tick down when you're logged off. I don't think there should be an accelerator when you're online in prison. And I think that the penalties for committing capital offenses should be greatly improved from the slaps on the wrists that are out there now. If you get caught murdering someone, that should pretty much be the end of the character on the outside of prison. Because that's usually what happens IRL. But instead due to the penalties currently enforced, we have 16 year olds that have killed 6 people and are RPing it as being in the YA for 6 months because they don't follow the rules.

1 hour ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Right. It's the same, because - and hold on to your hat for this one. It's the same people. Which is obvious in the way they worship the very thought of the good old days, and want to replicate it in every detail.

It doesn't make it correct. The culture was bad then, and it's still bad now.

I agree, I don't think that jail should tick down when you're logged off. I don't think there should be an accelerator when you're online in prison. And I think that the penalties for committing capital offenses should be greatly improved from the slaps on the wrists that are out there now. If you get caught murdering someone, that should pretty much be the end of the character on the outside of prison. Because that's usually what happens IRL. But instead due to the penalties currently enforced, we have 16 year olds that have killed 6 people and are RPing it as being in the YA for 6 months because they don't follow the rules.

You guys need to realize that this is still a game. You already have to wait around a month or more to get a court case finished which is not fun for anyone. I had to wait 20 OOC days just to get a public defender assigned. Not to mention the OOC trouble that court cases bring which turns them into a big headache where player reports have to be made or LFM has to get involved. You complain about people renaming their characters but what do you think would happen if every capital offender caught a life sentence? Yes, they would just rename their character. And if your time zone is messed up you will just end up afking through your sentence or renaming anyways since there are no people to roleplay with. Deputies are already lacking with their activity in TTCF. Enforcing harsher sentences would just increase throw-away characters. This does not solve anything. Make a lifer character If you want to enhance the TTCF culture instead of shitting on illegal roleplayers. Some people find an hour outside their busy schedules to roleplay and have fun and they should not be forced to sit in an empty prison for 2 OOC months just because some judge or other party is lazy to reply on forums. 

• Upvote 3