Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

On 3/13/2022 at 3:04 PM, knppel said:

No, this is based on the rules simply allowing us to use murder as conflict resolution method in many situations.

I've just looked it up:

We have a total of 91 words defining our rules (IG 4) regarding "deathmatching".

This doesn't leave a grey zone- it's a blackbox and murder almost always valid (admin discretion reserved).

In contrast, we have no less than 376 words outlining all kind of stuff as "Offensive Roleplay" (IG 9), directly refering further to rules for Sexual Roleplay (IG 19) which encompasses further 560 words.

It's not rocket science to spot only from this discrepance of details what demands more attention from staff, and what's more likely to be sanctioned.

And offensive/sexual roleplay is just one particularly specific example that puts a ridiculous amount of rules towards what I strongly believe a vast majority doesn't aim to portrait anyway.

The same pattern counts for basically all rules applied - with the notable exception of PF license abuse (IG 13), all rules are more detailed than deathmatching.

Naturally, this gives admins more ground to enforce them in any other situation but alleged deathmatching (again, admin discretion reserved- but these exceptions state the rules, they do not make them!)

If I conduct a robbery, there's a whole lot of things I can possibly do wrong simply by the exactly outlined rules for this specific criminal activity.

With murder, I can't really ever be wrong as long as I got this tiny a reason.

This.

It has to be one of the biggest flaws of the server in my opinion. I absolutely love GTA:W, but this..

GTA:W relies way too much on admin discretion. Now don't get me wrong, admin discretion can be a good thing, but when some of your rules have so little detail that even the admins have to interpret those rules to enforce them? Yeah, that's bad.

Why is that bad?

- Admin A could let player B get away with something because it wasn't explicitly stated in the rules that what player B did was wrong, while Admin C could absolutely ruin player B's admin record because they deem it to be ''Common sense'' and believe everyone already knows not to do what player B did.

This is not fair. Letting someone else get away with something and punishing someone else for doing the exact same thing, just because it was a different admin with a different interpretation of the rules handling the issue. As a former staff member and co-owner myself, (obviously not here), I strongly believe that staffing should be as cohesive, or uniform as it can be. It shouldn't be the matter of "Yeah just do what you think is best with what you have." and rely on people's kindness/strictness to enforce your own rules.

There are plenty of outstanding staff members on the server and I do personally believe that they would be getting a big break by actually knowing exactly and in detail what they have to enforce and what they don't. It'll make them look less bad, because for players it won't be a matter of "I hope I get to interact with X admin because they're fair with people.." but rather a mutual understanding that breaking X rules could get you Y punishment regardless of who handles the issue because it's written clear as day.

Don't mix this up with admin leniency. A rule could be written but punishment can still differ between admins if you really want ''admin discretion'', but at the very least, that rule will still exist, and give people the clear knowledge of what not to do, encouraging them to be cautious, and if people break these rules they in turn accept what ever punishment comes their way.

My conclusion is please, I know the rule set isn't all bare bones, but please detail the rules that need to be detailed a little better. Makes people less prone to using loopholes, give admins a break by letting them know clearly what they're enforcing, and honestly if I could add one thing? This "We're a learning server" mentality is completely out of place for a heavy-RP server. If you want a certain standard of roleplay and behavior, allowing people to break a rule, often times, the same rule, several times is just out of the question because people will follow through with that behavior because remember, once that admin record is soiled and no longer blank, some people just do not care anymore, because they know it lingers.

It baffles me. You have an entry application to the server with a set of rules and standard of roleplay you expect understanding from, yet when the same new players arrive and break those very rules and go below that RP standard on purpose for asset gains, you give them a slap on the wrist, give them a popsicle and let them be on their way after telling them to read a vague rule set.

Edited by Mistery14

What @Topinambour said, most GTA:W characters are just caricatures, on every side.

That being said, there should be some sort of "case law" but for rules. Some things are against the rules and definitively so, but it's not written down.

Using /panic while incapacitated? One could argue that their character is still conscious and able to press the button, but if you're in an injured state you're not allowed to press jt. Yet that js not codified in the rules.

There are dozens of little things that one learns are unwritten rules (by spirit), that one could avojd breaching if one knows about it.

2 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Characters who only exist on the forums or menyoo should be deleted.

or only exist on quickdate and facebrowser, they provide zero RP ingame and usually end up pissing people off on social platforms and then avoid all consequences by never logging in.

15 minutes ago, Junx said:

or only exist on quickdate and facebrowser, they provide zero RP ingame and usually end up pissing people off on social platforms and then avoid all consequences by never logging in.

Could be worse. I know of a character that right now is only used to PK and even CK people, and nothing else.

Facebrowser in general should just be deleted, making a social media platform for a roleplaying game only enables self inserts + not to mention the people that weirdly devote hours of their time to make "sexy" or "cute" pictures of themselves in menyoo (not to mention some of the people that have done this are (M)'s in game). Very weird, I guess the only reason it's still around is so more money can be generated through the extortionate rates that "VIP" is offered. Wild that people even pay for it.

• Upvote 5