Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

why are people still posting popular opinions!!! 

😔 

Christianity should be removed from server lore and fully replaced in continuity by The Church of the Uncertain Panda.

Admin only LEO vehicles with admin paint schemes should be added. Admin sits should become traffic stops.

Ajails should be replaced by something similar to the public arrest random event in RuneScape which happens in Varrock and Seers Village. Other players should be able to shoot you which will reset all progress on the lockpick minigame.

50 minutes ago, L I C E said:

why are people still posting popular opinions!!! 

People don't want to be mainstream so they proclaim a consensus as controversial to then all pat each other's back over "being so bold" to voice this "unpopular" opinion a large peer group agrees with upfront.

And then all the yay sayers can feel anti mainstream

lol

P.S.

I might have an opinion too:

My reality is way realer than anybody else's

Edited by knppel
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Allantrist said:

Why always spawn at the same location? It doesn't make sense that my character would load back in eight hours later at the front of a store when I didn't have time to get her back to the house before logging out. Realistically as a mother character, she'd be back home with her kids so I reload there.

If this ever gets implemented it sounds like you should plan the 2 minute drive back to your house more accordingly.

Anyway, thank you for VALIDATING my opinion as being unpopular! Looks like i'm doing good this thread. 

Legal:

• Everything should start being taxed more. The more money you have, the more tax you pay. The more assets you have, the more you pay. If you own a house? You pay utility bills. Right now people can buy whatever they want with their money and have barely anything to pay for or worry about once they've acquired them. It's why X has ten cars, two houses and a boat despite their character not having a career because they grinded script jobs for 100 hours. If people had to actually start thinking about their spending and ensuring they can continue to afford things once initially purchased, you'd see a lot less of the characters that exist purely to asset chase. If a house in Mirror Park costs $1 mil? Make the utility bills fit the economy (depending on the area of the house) that comes out of your pay check each hour/week/month. Own an apartment in Davis? It's not going to cost you much to maintain or upkeep. Own a mansion in the hills? It's going to cost you. Rarely do we see people who RP from the higher end of life RPing that fall into debt and money struggles. A huge business going under because the owner cannot control their spending should be the punishment - not necessarily a RPQM report.

• Legal RPers need to understand that they are actually vital to the illegal RP experience and shouldn't always look to play the OOC victim card if things do not go their way or they made an error of judgement that got them killed/hurt. You are going to get robbed. You are going to get targeted. And if you start breaking out your CCW trying to become the vigilante - you are going to get shit on for it. There are so many rules in place now to protect legal RPers that you really can't hide behind the mantra of bad RP accusations anymore. There's so many safe-zones and rules put in place (like robbing on motorcycles not being a thing, like whaaaat.) that actually make zero sense realistically but are there to help you go about your day. I have been robbed on my CCW carrying character more times than I can count and I have lost more legal pistols to illegal characters than I'm proud to admit (I must have singlehandedly contributed a good amount of guns to the damn illegal scene because I got caught lacking)  - and as long as the robbery is RPed well? I'm not going to kick a fuss up over it because I've learned to understand that I am also there to provide growth and development for the illegal community. It's not a big deal, don't let it ruin your day or build up an OOC vendetta against illegal RPers because you had a bad experience with a minor from Davis once or twice. Take the L and learn some street smarts - it's actually a lot of fun to RP the experience if you let it be. 

• Extortion Part 1: Not every attempt at extortion is bad roleplay. You have a part to play in the roleplay yourselves - ask your attempted extorter what do you get out of it in return? The simple answer will always be 'protection' but you can lay the game yourself. So you don't want protection? What do you want to gain from it? You're not simply a victim, you can try and negotiate a better outcome for yourself. "Can you provide me two of your friends for security during my openings?" "Can I get your telephone number and request your help on issues that may come up in other aspects of my business?" - Often times, people think extortion just means they're going to take your money. Get out of this mindset and actually start looking at the benefits an extortion attempt can provide you and your business. You're a business owner so treat it as a business. Turn the RP into a business proposal and try and see what you can also get out of it in return because from experience - I've gained a lot more connections, friends and roleplay from the illegal characters than I would have if I had just started crying about it.  You're a business owner, think like a business-person. 

Illegal:

• It's been said in the thread already, I think. Internally CKed characters should not be able to return to a faction on a new character for X amount of time (months preferably). This just gives that person the chance to 'start again' and get right back into what they were doing but this time knowing the limits of what they're trying to portray - skipping potential growth and development for the original character. Often times the character is a carbon copy of what they were previously RPing - minus the mistakes that they've learned.  Factions often have a very set, "This is what we're trying to be" and if your character waivers slightly, they'll use those CK perms to give you another chance. It would make internal CK's much more thought out and give people a chance to naturally adapt and learn IC rather than just throwing a CK for little reasoning and saying 'come on back but don't do that again!' It's how you get the stereotypical characters portraying robots with no human emotions. Time would actually be spent focusing on the growth, development and story of a character - rather than an OOC reset.  You only have to look at some threads to see that most of their conflict RP is all inner-faction and that person is back the next day on a new character. 

• Screenshots in faction threads should honestly be done away with. Character story threads should be the bigger focus as they also include the L's, not just what makes the faction look good. Faction threads are edited and shown in a very specific way to fit the narrative that the faction wants to tell and not tell the actual true events that took place. It's all about making the faction look 'good' in the eyes of the public to generate a positive hype and draw in new members - but most of the time it's artificial because storylines and events did not play out that way and miss key information. How many Discords have a "pre-approved" screenshots section before someone is allowed to post in the thread? This also counts for legal faction threads but things like LEO factions don't need to mask the truth of a situation to make their faction look good. There's no risk of those factions being closed because they're a requirement. I'd rather see the actual story/events, including the major L's taken rather than a chopped and edited version trying to make the faction look like it's perfect - because they know they'll be heavily scrutinized by the illegal community if they show their faults and mistakes. And whether it's accepted or not - people self-consciously metagame information they have learned from other faction threads. 

• CK appeals should be private. Why does the community need to see a CK appeal rather than just the people directly involved? It just grows OOC tension and frustration and shit-talking on Discord.

• Extortion Part 2: For the love of God. Please start looking at new and unique ways to do it. The world is your creative oyster and extortion can be done in so many clever, fun and unique ways that it pains me to see Johnny Gambino walking into a business on his turf demanding a weekly fee without offering a service in return outside of 'protection'. The protection needed is from people like you, Johnny Gambino. Offer the business owner something substantial. What you don't realize is you actually harm the RP in that area because legal characters WILL avoid setting up business there and WILL avoid opening their store for roleplay. If someone came to me with an interesting proposition that I saw as mutually beneficial, I'd be all on board. If someone comes to me threatening to burn down my store? I'm just going to think you're an idiot that the police should deal with instead. Find a mutual common ground outside of 'protection' only. 

General:

Community is way too harsh on one another. It's hard to really call it a community because everyone gets wrapped into their little social bubbles and would rather spew hatred towards people on Discord that don't like the same thing they do. Members can honestly be vile to each other here and don't realize how similar we all are in wanting to just have some fun with a hobby we all share together.

There's such a mindset of 'I am right, you are wrong' that it often feels like everyone is out there seeking approval and reputation rather than coming together to actually make this a place a positive experience. 

People will shit on anyone if they can't have everything go their way. It happens every update - there really is no pleasing everyone and the sooner people learn to accept that things won't always cater to you then it would be a much happier community. Next clothing patch? There'll still be uproar from people who will shit all over the hard-work Oggy and Honey have put in because their RP wasn't catered for - despite there being a thread asking for help. Next PD patch? It'll be the same uproar of 'oh another PD update'. Next drug update? 'Oh they fucked it all up again!'  - just take the time to offer positive, constructive feedback with a little appreciation on the side for the people who actually try to push content on the server. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 2